The Wheel of Time Official Teaser Trailer

Use the Falchion

Saw this earlier, I'm definitely going to be watching it, but this trailer...

The Good:
The environments look pretty sweet. The village, totally looks like Randland.
Rand is a great bit of casting (but let's see if he can act).
Perrin looks like great casting too.
Moraine looks great, wish she was shorter, but I will take perfect except for height on this one.

The Meh:
Some of the effects look like they would be great for a free phone game, where it's dazzle and no substance (and really you can do all that, but no color shifting cloak? Really?).
Matt, one of my all-time favorite characters, looks like they cast for cool not so much for mischievous. This is based on the Dagger scene, but the jury is still out on this one, they could get him right (even Brandon struggled with Matt afterall)
Lan, seems a bit like the Aragorn problem from the LOTR movies, went for the look but from the admittedly small bit of information, seems to be lacking the gravitas. Vigo Mortenson is a great Aragorn, but his voice is garbage in those movies (he actually squeaks a couple of times).

The Bad:
Maybe I am just an old crank, but everything seems like it's set to 11. Not every moment needs to be emoted at 100%, one of the things that I like about WoT is that it has so much time for small moments. The jury is still out on this one as well, but hopefully they steer clear of the every moment is fraught with tension brand of storytelling that the trailer seems like it's set to deliver.
Nyneave pushing Egwene off a cliff? What? This is just bizarre, but you know, the jury is still out on this one too because it's a different thing right? You have to make some changes to the story to fit the medium, ok, let's see if this works.

The What????
So can anyone tell me what the heck this is? I don't remember a dual axe wielder (who do you think this is??), and what is this scene supposed to be? I am totally baffled here:

WOT_2Axes.thumb.png.f0ea90be3955514f081678178acef501.png

I do have to say, the Myrdraal look pretty sick, but looking closer, it does beg the question:

Myrdraal_LookAtDemTeeth.thumb.png.f5f812fb5bfd50c33f9271f8f54ba566.png

On 9/2/2021 at 8:31 PM, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Maybe I am just an old crank, but everything seems like it's set to 11. Not every moment needs to be emoted at 100%, one of the things that I like about WoT is that it has so much time for small moments. The jury is still out on this one as well, but hopefully they steer clear of the every moment is fraught with tension brand of storytelling that the trailer seems like it's set to deliver.

I think it's a trailer thing. Many trailers are like that, where every moment is tense and dramatic. But once we get into the show proper, I'm sure we'll have several moments that are smaller. (That doesn't mean they won't be dramatic, but they'll be smaller and more intimate, like the series proper.)

On 9/2/2021 at 8:31 PM, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

So can anyone tell me what the heck this is? I don't remember a dual axe wielder (who do you think this is??), and what is this scene supposed to be? I am totally baffled here

I originally thought it was possibly Elias, but The Dusty Wheel had a deep dive into the trailer yesterday, and the Innkeeper Mat and many of the watchers seem to think that he's a warder, the same warder who is kissing the ring earlier in the trailer.  

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

I think it's a trailer thing. Many trailers are like that, where every moment is tense and dramatic. But once we get into the show proper, I'm sure we'll have several moments that are smaller. (That doesn't mean they won't be dramatic, but they'll be smaller and more intimate, like the series proper.)

I originally thought it was possibly Elias, but The Dusty Wheel had a deep dive into the trailer yesterday, and the Innkeeper Mat and many of the watchers seem to think that he's a warder, the same warder who is kissing the ring earlier in the trailer.  

I'm of the opinion that he's a Warder who's going more than a little reckless after the death of his Aes Sedai.  I did go look through the cast to see if there were any hints there, but I'm terrible at matching 'normal' faces to character faces.

A lot of you probably already know that the prior company that held the tv/film options to WoT made a pilot that they paid to air at 1:30 am EST on the FXX network, on February 9th 2015, shortly before their rights were to revert to the Jordan estate.

It is truly bizarre, but it's worth watching just to see Billy Zane's campy but oddly endearing performance as Ishmael.

There's an older thread about this where you can read more about the sordid details of this questionable venture (suits and countersuits), but if you haven't seen the ashcan pilot that is essentially the EotW prologue, then here it is: WoT, Winter Dragon: