Poll: Which power would you want

SirWatermelon

What power would you want  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which power would you find the most useful and versatile in day to day life on earth, assuming infinite access to any resources needed, and any connection issues solved?

• Surgebinding/ Nahel bond
    • misting
    • ferring
    • twinborn
    • AonDor
    • Soulstamping
    • bloodsealing
    • ChayShan
    • Dakhor
    • Sand Mastery
    • Awakening
    • mistborn
    • Feruchemist

8 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Assuming infinate access to recourses anyone not picking Surgebinding is making a mistake

I get infinate healing, bonus reflexes, and tons of other cool benefits just as a baseline.

I'd probably choose Elsecaller as an Order.

Yes, that would be a great option, I wouldn't, however, say that any other option is a mistake, as I think that some other abilities would be much more useful in a normal life. Infinite healing is great, but would it help a lot in daily life outside of a dangerous situation? The reflexes are also tempered by pushing you to act and making it hard to stay still, which could be a downside. I do think Elsecaller is a wonderful option though, the transformation and transportation could be very useful.

6 minutes ago, SirWatermelon said:

Yes, that would be a great option, I wouldn't, however, say that any other option is a mistake, as I think that some other abilities would be much more useful in a normal life. Infinite healing is great, but would it help a lot in daily life outside of a dangerous situation?

Tons of non-dangerous benefits to infinate healing

1. Immune to mosquitoes
  2. Immune to Sunburns
  3. Immune to Cancer
  4. Immune to getting sick no vaccine or mask neccesary
  5. No scabs
  6. No rashes
  7. no acne
  8. Instantaneous recovery
  9. Free health insurance for life
  10. Free paychecks for life via organ or blood donations, or through insane stunts
  11. Instant fame and popularity
  12. Instantly worlds best diver
  13. No need for food
  14. No need for money really
  15. No heating/cooling bills

And that's just the surface

Edited by Frustration

4 hours ago, Frustration said:

Free paychecks for life via organ or blood donations

"Sir, this is the third kidney you're donating!" :lol::lol:

4 hours ago, Frustration said:

No need for food

I'm not sure that's true, that would require being able to metabolise Light into building blocks for the body.

Or is your read that as long as you have Light the body draws on that rather than its own reserves?

Mind, I totally agree that, assuming infinite fuel, Surgebinding is the best combo-platter.

A few other things that any infinite healing could bring would also be perfect eyesight, no skin conditions, no arthritis or other joint problems.

Being in perfect physical health and always energised sounds lovely.

¤_¤

Edited by Inquisitor #5

I find Feruchemy, being the most versatile, is the one that is most useful in daily life. Except for healing, which will make you suffer to store, the rest aren't all that bad. 

I am currently moving back and forth between a place that is too hot and too cold, so storing heat in one to use in the other will be a godsend, and being able to cool yourself in warm places is always useful to have.

Controlling when I sleep by storing wakefulness will be really helpful for my storming sleep schedule. 

I feel you can always store strength throughout the day, just tad, to end up building up for a large store in the occasional moments you need to carry something too heavy or difficult for you to lift.

Making yourself light whenever can be very useful (Just float down the stairs, practically zero gravity for the WIN) and I'm sure you can find a way to mess around with being heavier.

Again, I don't think you always need to be as fast as you can go. Store some speed while walking, lying down, reading, basically whenever you don't need to move quickly, and have speed stored for when you're in a hurry.

Speed of thought might be difficult to fit in your daily life, as you always need to think, but speed does take care of if that.

The removal of senses is something many of us wish we could do at one point of another. Food burned in your house? Off sense of smell. Hurt yourself? Off any sense of feeling and block out the pain. Want to eat crappy tasting food for nutrition? Off sense of taste (I NEED this). Loud noise annoying you when reading? Off your sense of hearing. And all these senses you can increase at any time for any reason. (Not sure how to fit sight in daily life, in terms of storing without consequence.)

Storing Memories. Need I go further?

Storing breath wouldn't exactly be that hard. Just inhale really deeply, and boom.

There are many times I wish I stored determination at a point I didn't need it so I could tap it later.

Not sure how energy works.

Store connection and become effectively multilingual. No cost. For someone who hates learning languages, yes, please.

And rest of them are more cosmere magic related.

(And the fact it's 4 - 1 is my point exactly!)

Edited by Aspiring Writer

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

Considering you don't need to breath while holding light, yes that is exactly what I think.

Huh, I've always thought that's a property of the healing, just like when Miles stops breathing to steady his aim.

So my take is that Light patches up the damage from oxygen deprivation, not that it prevents it.

¤_¤

1 hour ago, Inquisitor #5 said:

Huh, I've always thought that's a property of the healing, just like when Miles stops breathing to steady his aim.

So my take is that Light patches up the damage from oxygen deprivation, not that it prevents it.

¤_¤

This is also what I thought, that it just healed the cells that began to die, rather than renewing the oxygen itself.

2 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Surgebinder for me, definitely.  Particularly Edgedancer.  I could heal people, and maybe for once I wouldn't kill plants.  Plus the frictionless thing is pretty neat.

healing people would be a great thing to do with your powers! and I'm sure that plants would thrive with your care

14 hours ago, Frustration said:

Assuming infinate access to recourses anyone not picking Surgebinding is making a mistake

I get infinate healing, bonus reflexes, and tons of other cool benefits just as a baseline.

I'd probably choose Elsecaller as an Order.

Assuming non-infinite resources I can imagine you'd be joining stormchasers to try and and see if any extreme weather pattern is a highstorm. 

(This would be you.)

Edited by Shinwarrior
added: assuming non-infinite resources

Surgebinding because

A) magic (baseline abilities from inhaling Stormlight)

B ) magic (Surge A)

C)  magic (Surge B )

D) comes with a friend!

I'm not entirely sure about that last part, the spren could be not nice. Privacy would be a factor. Hmm... but the Nahel Bond isn't as bad as some other fantasy magic via bonds to magical creatures. I guess it might depend on my hypothetical potential Bondmate.

Sandmastery is so limited. Do not want to be a Dakhor Monk or a Bloodsealer, way too morbid. ChayShan seems pretty limited too. Forgery is nice, but honestly, Surgebinding just has a wow factor to it! Awakening comes with the Heightenings, of course, and that's nice but I'll still prefer the Surges, giving up parts of my Breaths to animate something sounds like it'll feel terrible, don't like the idea of collecting Breaths at all either if that's a consideration in this hypothetical scenario. The Metallic Arts are cool too but again, I would prefer Surgebinding, maybe being Fullborn might tempt me. I'd pick AonDor when someone cracks using it off of Sel perhaps, but before then, it's definitely Surgebinding! 

1st choice: Surgebinding (depending on how I get along with my spren)

2nd choice: AonDor

3rd choice: Feruchemy

4th choice: Allomancy

5th choice: use Hemalurgy to get all of the above four! Mwahahahahaha!

Edited by Honorless

1 hour ago, SirWatermelon said:

This is also what I thought, that it just healed the cells that began to die, rather than renewing the oxygen itself.

I dont think so, at least based on the attribute distinction demonstrated in Feruchemy.  If the were the case they would be feeling the discomfort still. I think it's more that stormlight grants some general buffs across a lot of attributes, including the equivalents of feruchemical Health, Breath, Determination (described as a manic feeling), and wakefulness, on top of the more overt physical buffs.  Wakefulness is probably the closest comparison, in that it's another natural process that can cause physical damage but is not itself direct damage.

Now, realistically I would choose Feruchemist, but due to the infinite resources loophole, I would choose awakening. Infinite breaths would do all of the infinite healing listed above, plus immortality and better pitch and etc. Infinite Breaths would make you possibly the most powerful being in the cosmere.

12 minutes ago, deepspace21 said:

Now, realistically I would choose Feruchemist, but due to the infinite resources loophole, I would choose awakening. Infinite breaths would do all of the infinite healing listed above, plus immortality and better pitch and etc. Infinite Breaths would make you possibly the most powerful being in the cosmere.

Breaths don't heal you.

No takers for sand mastery? Anyone? Hello? -- Oh come on guys, what if you lived on Waikiki?

My instinctive reply was Feruchemy (as in, a full Feruchemist) because even without Compounding, being able to tap prepared metalminds for up to sixteen different things like healing, speed, strength, speed of thought, and wakefulness (just to name a few) would make it much more versatile than even Surgebinding would be. Sure using the Surges with "unlimited Investiture" would be more powerful in effect, but only two effects! (Besides, would that "unlimited Investiture" carry over to pre-filled metalminds? I'd assume not, but if so, oooh baby!)

However, being a Radiant with a Nahel Bond would give access to one power unique so far to Surgebinding: Progression as an external healing power (also less commonly used, as a quik-gro power for plants). A goldmind can only be used to heal myself. Having seen people close to me get injured and get terminally ill, the idea that I could have the power to heal not just myself but others... How could I not choose that?

So, yeah. Imma be a Truthwatcher, then, because I'd rather have Illumination than the slickness of an Edgedancer, and "standard Lightweaving" more so than the "visions of the future" that comes with bonding an "enlightened" mistspren.

Besides, I'm pretty well suited to being a Truthwatcher by inclination, anyway, based on the description of the ten Orders.

Edited by robardin

I'd definitely take Surgebinding (specifically Lightweaver if it was for real life), for all the reasons explained above pretty much. The endless supply of Stormlight healing would help me stop stressing out so much, and I'm not sure but I think the mental tweak of it might actually mesh well with my ADHD, like how Caffeine helps me focus instead of just making me jittery.

As for why Lightweaver specifically I'd mostly be picking it for the Soulcasting, but also because having a Cryptic buddy would help cover my weak math skills :P Which is why I wouldn't say Elsecaller for the soulcasting and transportation. Plus, I like Lightweaving with Illumination too. Instant cosplay! :D

I'd probably try to hone my skills at Soulcasting actually palatable foods, rather than just plain grain or bland meat (I think pure soulcast meat is probably bland because it defaults to something like chicken breast; all protein and no fat). If nothing else, I could always have a stock of basic ingredients on hand, freeing up my budget for stuff like spices or fancier things like expensive cuts of steak.