Stormlight pregnancies [discussion]

RadiantFox

Looking around I found Sanderson doesn't like to write pregnant characters, but had thought about how his magic systems would affect pregnancy. Stating at least that hemalergy would be bad, and stormlight would be likely better than without it. But that's honestly really vague and made me even more curious.

I imagine edgedancers and truth watchers could easily use growth to speed a pregnancy along. But that also makes me wonder if they can do the same to an adult, if they could just be aged to dust etc. But that's less relevant here. I'm mostly just looking at the personal healing aspect of stormlight.

Pregnancy could be considered as being invaded by parasites, just as alcohol is seen as poison. So if someone views it in that way, would stormlight end the pregnancy? Kaladin kept his brand and couldn't get a tattoo for the longest time. It just didn't feel right, or like he was ready yet. But more like, Shallan (as an example) not seeing herself as capable of or ready to be a mother, making it so pregnancy can't really happen or last long after implantation once she's using stormlight for anything else.

Or would it just mask the pains and limitations normally associated with it? Would stormlight healing prevent developmental issues in the fetus, such as from consuming the wrong things (caffeine, alcohol etc)? Do the radiants get to choose on a conscious level, or does the investiture just so what it decides it best?

It seems to do nothing for menstruation (which I have to agree with shallan, is very unfair) so possibly reproductive issues are considered differently, even before any "alien" DNA is introduced into the equation.

1 hour ago, RadiantFox said:

Pregnancy could be considered as being invaded by parasites, just as alcohol is seen as poison. So if someone views it in that way, would stormlight end the pregnancy?

Not likely given that Wayne likes Alcohol, but still heals from it.

Provided you've finished Rhythm of War (or don't mind a very minor spoiler), you might find this topic of interest:

We're about 99.9% certain that Cosmere healing will not terminate a pregnancy under normal circumstances because Spiritually-speaking there's nothing wrong with the mother and fetus' spiritweb is not the mother's spiritweb. Case in point: Lift freaks out when she gets her first period in Edgedancer and she definitely thinks something is wrong with her; her magic disagrees.

Stormlight definitely can help ensure a child is healthier than they would be otherwise because we know that exposure to it generally makes Rosharans healthier than average so extra exposure from the mother being a surgebinder should be even better. Anything that's considered a poison can be healed by stormlight so things like fetal alcohol exposure could be virtually eliminated with just the passive healing. An Edgedancer or Truthwatcher could likely do even more with Regrowth.

Edited by Weltall

11 hours ago, Weltall said:

Provided you've finished Rhythm of War (or don't mind a very minor spoiler), you might find this topic of interest:

"With all that, I suspect that once the child has their spiritweb in place, nothing the mother does with stormlight healing (or other self-targeting magics) can change the child's body because their spiritweb is not their child's spiritweb. "

Idk if I really buy that though. Not when pregnancy happens inside their body and affects it. Just ejecting the fetus is enough to kill it until very late into pregnancy. It could have a completely different spirit web but still be seen as an invader to the more developed/host one.

Degrade or remove the placenta that connects them, and it's basically the same.

The menstruation thing does call it into question more though.

As it seems to imply reproduction is distinct from other areas of identity and health. But it could also be about expectation (shallan especially, but even lift, could see menstruation as a natural part of biology at their age, even if it's not particularly welcome. But if spiritually they weren't women, old enough, or "mother material" it could make it wonkier.

I haven't actually read edgedancer and lift seems like she would have felt like she shouldn't age after visiting cultivation, at least until she's forced to witness her own development. So it's particularly murky there. Basically I'm still questioning the full effects and can see reasoning for multiple ideas.)

Edited by RadiantFox
Detail placenta

11 hours ago, RadiantFox said:

I haven't actually read edgedancer and lift seems like she would have felt like she shouldn't age after visiting cultivation, at least until she's forced to witness her own development. So it's particularly murky there. Basically I'm still questioning the full effects and can see reasoning for multiple ideas.)

Until just before the start of Edgedancer, Lift firmly believed she wasn't aging because that's what she asked for and what she thought she got. So yes, as far as she's concerned she should never menstruate in the first place and getting her first period is to her an absolute freakout moment. Bear in mind too that she's an Edgedancer so she's got even more control over healing than the vast majority of surgebinders. Her magic doesn't care, reproductive functions are considered natural in the same way that genetic ailments and old age are.

On 8/28/2021 at 2:10 PM, Frustration said:

Not likely given that Wayne likes Alcohol, but still heals from it.

I agree, I think someone would have to legitimately not know what pregnancy is for them to view it as something so foreign that Stormlight healing could terminate it.