FOTT - Earth 2767

Spren of Kindness

3 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

"Once upon a time, this was the west of the United States," Martin tells Andante, weaving between buildings.  "Not sure where exactly we are, but there's not much out here but rocks and dirt.  Don't worry," he adds, turning to glance at Queen.  "There's no one here.  I should know."

"Really? Wow..."

Martin stops and examines the wall, then pries a stone free.  There's a small package there, a small data drive he hid here at his most daring.

"If there were ghosts anywhere on Earth, this would be one of the places," he tells Queen.  Wait.  That's not something people want to hear.  "There aren't any," he backtracks.  "This is for Nahl," he says, putting it in his left front pocket, and removing another from the cavity and putting that one in his right front pocket.  "Let's get this back to her, and actually get this moving.

• 2 weeks later...

Martin swallows his comment about this being a murder place, and leads them back up towards the plane.  As he walks, he unravels his braid until his hair is free.  He has a passing interest in theatrics, and this seems like a good time for them.  And, he's likely going to lose a patch of hair to whatever comes next, so he'll enjoy it now.

"Anything you want Nahl to know?"

Craven had heard of ghosts before, though had never seen one. He remembered a long time ago, before meeting the Fellowship, when he had met a man who claimed to see ghosts every night. That man had been scary. And very old. Craven wasn’t scared of ghosts, though.

“Why are we here again?” he asked, trying not to sound nervous.

• 2 weeks later...

The way into the facility is through a small building that looks like a storage shed.  There's nothing in there except stairs, which Martin leads them down, clicking on a flashlight as he goes.  There's more than a little echo, too.  "Watch out for loose wires," he warns.  The flashlight beam reveals loose panels in the walls, the insides of the facility hidden behind them.  "They won't shock you, but don't trip."

Martin switches the flashlight to his other hand when they get to the first door.  As he suspected, there's residual power left for these systems.  The panel next to the door still glows, and the keypad accepts his code, unlocking the door.  "Just in case," he tells everyone, "if you need to get through one of these doors, use code seven two three nine."  They might need to know that.

"This base was primarily a medical base," Martin says, pausing by a loose panel to reach elbow deep into the wiring and pull a part of the system free.  "There's an AMP here - it's a device that can perform surgeries on a patient without guidance.  An AMP put my chip in, and an AMP is one of the few things that can get it out safely."  He stops at the next intersection.  "Trouble is, whenever I was here, I was usually drugged or terrified out of my mind, or unconscious, so I'm not quite sure how to get to where it is."