A new reader is here!

Lady Lunnaris

Hi!! I´m a Spanish reader and I´ve just finish Mistborn 1. I read it in Spanish but I feel that I have to share these emotions with someone. I really love Brandon Sanderson´s writing and I am overcome by the book yet.

I have been in another forums (Spanish forums) and I would like to take part of this one. Please, excuse me because of my grammar mistakes and my lack of vocabulary (I am learning this language, but I think that we can understand each other). 

I love fantasy books and Mistborn 1 is one of the best ones I have read since a lot of time. Please, I don´t want any spoiler of the other books of the series, I would like to read them soon.

I don´t know what more to say about myself. I am interested in meeting new people, recommending new books and speaking about the great work of Brandon Sanderson. I´m not sure if there are private messages here. Anyway, you can get in touch with me. I am very excited for being here!!!

Hi Lady Lunnaris, and welcome to the Shard! :)

Do you mean you have read Mistborn Era 1 or just just The Final Empire? In any case, keep at it, it's a great way into the Cosmere and there are very good books yet to come! ^_^

But you probably should be a bit careful not to run into some spoilers. There is an option for spoiler spaces but since Mistborn is not the latest book, using the spaces for general stuff is not mandatory. And by the way, your english is very good, and there is no better way to learn a language than by using it. Hope you enjoy your time here! 

Edited by Marukka
Spelling is fun!

On 8/24/2021 at 8:41 AM, Lady Lunnaris said:

Hi!! I´m a Spanish reader and I´ve just finish Mistborn 1. I read it in Spanish but I feel that I have to share these emotions with someone. I really love Brandon Sanderson´s writing and I am overcome by the book yet.

I have been in another forums (Spanish forums) and I would like to take part of this one. Please, excuse me because of my grammar mistakes and my lack of vocabulary (I am learning this language, but I think that we can understand each other). 

Welcome to the Shard! As Spanish is my second language I've wondered about the books being an excellent read in the translations as well. I've heard that some translations just don't do books justice. Have you read them in both english and spanish?

On 24/8/2021 at 4:59 PM, Marukka said:

Hi Lady Lunnaris, and welcome to the Shard! :)

Do you mean you have read Mistborn Era 1 or just just The Final Empire? In any case, keep at it, it's a great way into the Cosmere and there are very good books yet to come! ^_^

But you probably should be a bit careful not to run into some spoilers. There is an option for spoiler spaces but since Mistborn is not the latest book, using the spaces for general stuff is not mandatory. And by the way, your english is very good, and there is no better way to learn a language than by using it. Hope you enjoy your time here! 

Hi!! I mean just The Final Empire. Right now, I am reading The Well of Ascension and then I will read The hero of Ages. This is the correct order, isn´t is?

Thank you for your advice about spoilers, it is important to avoid them in order to enjoy the reading completely.

See you!

2 minutes ago, Lady Lunnaris said:

Hi!! I mean just The Final Empire. Right now, I am reading The Well of Ascension and then I will read The hero of Ages. This is the correct order, isn´t is?

Thank you for your advice about spoilers, it is important to avoid them in order to enjoy the reading completely.

See you!

Yes, that is absolutely the right order! :)

Mistborn Era 2 (starting with Alloy of Law) takes place about 300 years after Hero of Ages, but don't let yourself get scared off by this. The story is still great (as it is Mistborn 6 is my favorite so far) and there are quite a few nods to what became of the characters of Era 1. And after that comes Mistborn: A secret History. And that blew my mind when I first read it. Afterwards I needed to read the rest of the Cosmere books. :D

On 24/8/2021 at 11:06 PM, Not an Ookla said:

Welcome to the Shard! Who's your least favorite character so far?

Well, it is a difficult question. For me, all the characters are very well built, so even if I don´t like their personality, their are great. For example, Shan Elariel is unpleasant, snob and malicious, but she has an important role so as to the storyline develops well.

For this reason, I think my least favorite characters are secondary or terciary characters who didn´t apport so much to the history. Maybe it could be Ulef, Cannon or Kar, the inquisitor. They are not relevant by themselves, just because of how they represent (greed, survivance...)

I´m not sure if that is the answer you hoped, but is all I can say. I really admire the writing skill of Sanderson! It is very difficult to explain a new fantasy world and I understand that some parts are necessary for that purpose. I mean, when we read irrelevant battles or "adventures" which are just an example of how characters life. I remembered that one Kelsier´s entrance to a noble house was a little bit heavy for me, but Sanderson used it to show how the alomancy works. 

What is yours? What do you think about that?

1 minute ago, Marukka said:

Yes, that is absolutely the right order! :)

Mistborn Era 2 (starting with Alloy of Law) takes place about 300 years after Hero of Ages, but don't let yourself get scared off by this. The story is still great (as it is Mistborn 6 is my favorite so far) and there are quite a few nods to what became of the characters of Era 1. And after that comes Mistborn: A secret History. And that blew my mind when I first read it. Afterwards I needed to read the rest of the Cosmere books. :D

OMG! How many books!! I can´t wait to read all of them. Well, maybe in some moment I will have to change to other books genders, but them I´m sure I will get back with Cosmere. I am very excited with Sanderson and I hope to read all (or almost all) his work. Something I like of him is that he has something to tell in their books. It is not just an lengthering of the previous novel, I feel that the story continues and it is not to refill.

On 30/8/2021 at 7:39 PM, Shinwarrior said:

Welcome to the Shard! As Spanish is my second language I've wondered about the books being an excellent read in the translations as well. I've heard that some translations just don't do books justice. Have you read them in both english and spanish?

No, I am reading them in Spanish. I think that it would be a difficult reading in English and right now I prefer to continue the series in Spanish. Even so, I would like to read them in their original language in the future. Probably it is better in English, as you say, but I have no idea. 

From my point of view the translation is good, it is as reading an original Spanish book, so they would have changed expressions and details to get it.

Well, if you want to read another thing is Spanish you can ask me about another books and tell me if you like other genders. Here we also have great writers you may enjoy:)

7 hours ago, Lady Lunnaris said:

No, I am reading them in Spanish. I think that it would be a difficult reading in English and right now I prefer to continue the series in Spanish. Even so, I would like to read them in their original language in the future. Probably it is better in English, as you say, but I have no idea. 

From my point of view the translation is good, it is as reading an original Spanish book, so they would have changed expressions and details to get it.

Well, if you want to read another thing is Spanish you can ask me about another books and tell me if you like other genders. Here we also have great writers you may enjoy:)

I think it's fair to read them in you own language without jumping to English. Fantasy books already have an abundance of novel terms that are learned in-world. Reading in a second language might be a bit of a test. I'd love a book suggestion in spanish if you have any. (Best Cosmere book in spanish + any other you might recommend). 

p.s. genero means gender but also genre. Talking about books we use genre. (Pronounced John-ra)