Long Game 80: Skaa Tenements

A small group of cloaked figures ventured into the Industrial District of Luthadel. Nothing was too remarkable about them, except perhaps that they had more ash than usual smeared around their faces and near their eyes. The next morning, several skaa known to have connections to the underworld were found dead, holes ripped in their chests. These killing were different from the random beatings doled out by the nobility, and the local skaa elders met to discuss the issue. 

Welcome to LG 80: Skaa Tenements! Signups will end a week from today on Monday, August 30 at 5:00PM EDT. @Elandera will be my IM.

Rules (doc form):

Spoiler

General Rules:

Spoiler
  • Cycles are divided into a Day and a Night, with Day turns being 48 hours long and Night turns being 24 hours long. Rollovers will be at 6 PM EST, at least to start.

• There is a majority vote during the Day, with tied votes being decided through RNG. No vote minimum. “No kill” is not a valid vote option.

• PMs are open. All PMs must be 1-1.

• Each player is allotted one action per cycle. Actions include role abilities and the eliminator scan

• There is an inactivity filter of two cycles. If you do not post within this time frame you will be replaced with a pinch-hitter or removed from the game.

Factions:

Spoiler
  • Skaa: The ministry has infiltrated your homes and begun a silent slaughter of innocents. Your lives may be rather depressing, but you won’t just lie down and die. It helps that the agents killing you have been posing as regular skaa. 

• Standard village faction. The Skaa win when all of the Ministry Agents are dead. They have no group document and do not know each other’s identities.

• Ministry Agents: The Inquisition relentlessly seeks out skaa mistings to protect the secrets of Allomancy and to create new inquisitors. You and your friends are on an unauthorized mission into the slums to hunt them out and gain standing in the Ministry.   

• Standard eliminator faction. The Ministry Agents win when they outnumber the  Skaa. They have a group doc to communicate in, a faction Night location scan, and a faction kill, both detailed below.

• Ministry Records: Each night, any one Ministry Agent can scan a single player to learn their location.

• Hemalurgic Steel Spike: Each night, any one Ministry Agent can target a single player to kill them. This ability has the same restrictions as the Coinshot role; two charges shared among the faction members, with loss of one charge and failure of the action if the target’s location is not correctly given. This may only be recharged by an elim Metallurgist.

• If only a single Ministry Agent is alive, they can submit both the faction kill and the faction location scan in the same turn.

Locations:

Spoiler

At the start of the game, each player is randomly assigned to 1 of 4 tenement buildings, named after the Great Houses that those Skaa work for. Each player is told their starting location. It is not guaranteed that the distribution of locations will be remotely even. Allomantic actions will fail unless the location of a player is correctly submitted (including location changes that turn but sooner in the OOA) along with the action. Location actions allow the changing of locations during the game, but otherwise locations are static. Allomantic roles will lose a charge if they incorrectly submit the location of their target.

Allomantic Roles:

Spoiler

All roles are non faction specific. It is not guaranteed that all players will have an allomantic role. Each player will have 2 charges of their ability, and will lose one each time the action fails because of an incorrect location.

• Coinshot: Do what you do best. Kill the target player. (Night)
  • Lurcher: Where the Coinshot pulls, you push. Protect a single other player from attack. There is no restriction on protecting the same person consecutive cycles. (Night)
  • Soother: You aren’t the most skilled with your powers, but you can certainly lower someone’s motivation. Block all actions taken by the target. (Night)
  • Seeker: You aren’t the best at finding spies, but you are able to sense the Allomatic abilities of the others. Learn the Allomantic Role, if any, of your target. (Night)
  • Tineye: Your powers only add to a habit of keeping eyes and ears open constantly. Target a player to learn their alignment. (Night)
  • Thug: As expected, you are rather tough. Target yourself to block a single attack. Just like other Allomantic actions, this fails if you incorrectly submit your location (Night)

Location Roles

Spoiler

All roles are non faction specific. It is not guaranteed that all players will have a location role. Each player will have 1 charge of their ability. These roles succeed independent of the target’s location. Players are not informed if their location changes unless otherwise specified.

• Drunk: Somehow, you’ve managed to scrounge up the clips for some alcohol. But a bit too much made you wander into the wrong building. Randomly change your own location, and do not learn your new location. (Night)
  • Overseer: Unusual for a skaa, you’ve managed to gain a small measure of power over your fellow men. Change the locations of two targets (neither being yourself) without learning their locations. (Night)
  • Night Crew: Someone has to clean up the bodies, and there have been a lot of them lately. Learn the final location of a deceased player. (Night)
  • Gambler: Sometimes a lucky break is all it takes to move up in the world. Or at least to move somewhere in the world. Swap locations with the target player, and learn your new location. (Night)
  • Child: You aren’t quite old enough to have taken on the beaten-down attitude of the other skaa. In particular, you’re always excited to see new places, such as you can. Any time your location changes, you are informed of your new location. (Passive, Night)
  • Informant: You are always keeping tabs on people, but usually not your fellow skaa. Regardless, it’s not too hard to locate one of them, if the need arises. Learn the location of the target player. (Night)

Recharge Roles:

Spoiler

All roles are non faction specific. It is not guaranteed any players will have one of these roles. Each recharge role will have 1 charge of their ability. These roles succeed independent of the target’s location, but cannot self-target. These actions cannot grant more charges than a player begins with; they can only replenish charges that have been consumed.

• Elder: You have a fair bit of standing within the skaa community. Once per game, you can grant a single player one extra use of their location role. This action cannot be used again if it fails (Day)
  • Metallurgist: Mistings have to get their metals from somewhere, and they trust you not to sell them out to the Ministry. Once per game, you can grant a player a single extra charge of their Allomatic ability. This action cannot be used again if it fails (Day)

Note about Roles and Actions:
A player can have between 0 and 2 roles, but at most one from each category. Each player can take a single action per cycle.

End of Game Bonus:

Spoiler

At the end of the game, in the event of a village win, all living players have the option of submitting a list of the final location of each player. Points will be earned based on how many cycles prior to game end each player occupied the location guessed for them: 5 points for a correct guess, and then minus 1 per cycle since that location was occupied. For example, suppose Aralis is in Location 1 until Cycle 4, when he moves to Location 2. Then the game ends at Cycle 6. A player that guesses Aralis is in Location 2 will earn 5 points, while a guess of Location 1 will earn 3 points. Whoever earns the most points wins the honorary title Lord of the Slums, to be used at their discretion. A bonus writeup may be given for the player that wins the award.

Order of Actions:

Spoiler

Day
Elder
Metallurgist
Removal

Night (allomatic roles, followed by location roles)
Soother
Lurcher
Thug
Tineye
Coinshot/Hemalurgic Steel
Seeker/Ministry Records
Informant
Gambler
Overseer
Drunk
Night Crew
Child (passive)

Quick Links:

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. Matrim's Dice (Stuart Sampson)
  2. Archer (Eron)
  3. The Unknown Order (Scorched)
  4. Steeldancer (Steel)
  5. Dalinar Kholin (Avanchel "Van")
  6. Tani (Izi)
  7. Kasimir (Airam)
  8. Chantara (Tara)
  9. Devotary of Spontaneity (Ven)
  10. Elkanah (Leek)
  11. Illwei (Ill Way)
  12. Frozen Mint (Em)
  13. Squirrelwatcher (Rastan)
  14. |TJ| (Hollaback Atcha)
  15. Esooa (Nameless)
  16. Azmine King (Also Nameless)

Pinch Hitters:

1. xinoehp512 (N. P. Trichite)
  2. Condensation (Viola)

Rule Clarifications:

Spoiler

The Drunk will always end up in a different location from where they started

Edited by Elandera

Count me in! I'm going to try playing this the way it is designed to be played. :ph34r:RP character will be Eron. 

To confirm, if you change locations randomly, it's possible that you'll end up in the same place that you started in? 

Can Elders self target? 

13 minutes ago, Archer said:

To confirm, if you change locations randomly, it's possible that you'll end up in the same place that you started in? 

No, you are guaranteed to get a different location than where you started.

14 minutes ago, Archer said:

Can Elders self target?

No, neither the Elder nor the Metallurgist can self-target.

Just now, The Unknown Order said:

Wouldn't the Elder self targeting do nothing? Since they would be losing a charge to gain a charge?

The Elder ability recharges a Location Role, but is itself a Recharge Role. So in theory something like a Drunk Elder could self-target if the rules didn't prohibit it.

I'm tired and trying to go hardcore analysis for two games simultaneously at lylo was nearly the end of me.

It's Araris's 100th game though, and I've wanted to get the quiet, RPful game thing down for once. For once. I was so storming close in LG73 too. Even if Araris thinks (and is not wrong) that I will likely end up doing a spreadsheet at some point. Ah, well. Wyrm is gonna roll his eyes at me for not staying away but this game does look like it could use some more players. I cannot guarantee high activity but I can guarantee at least one post a turn.

I can't promise to be the sort of player this game needs - I'm a bit too hung up on opsec so @Araris Valerian, let me know if you think this makes me a bad fit, and I'll step back.

Signing up for this one as Airam, a quiet skaa carpenter trying to survive the latest shakedowns from the local thieving crews. The brutal murders have him on edge and he's half convinced someone is trying to send him a message!

Also Araris, does this mean we're spending this game at the mercy of Arenta? :P 

21 hours ago, Kasimir said:

I can't promise to be the sort of player this game needs - I'm a bit too hung up on opsec so @Araris Valerian, let me know if you think this makes me a bad fit, and I'll step back.

I think this game needs all sorts of players, and if you can make this a quiet, RPful game, then I'll enjoy reading your content :). Write a good porch somewhere and I'll make sure Arenta finds her way there. 

I don't think anyone needs to play this game a specific way for the game to work. I mean, in either extreme it's gonna be either like a normal game with pretty basic roles, or one with lots of vanilla players. I hope for something in between, and I think that is pretty much bound to happen.

32 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

Does this mean that we can't/aren't encouraged to do this if the elims win?

That's more of a flavor thing, since everyone dies if the elims win, and there would be nobody to give a writeup to. But I can make it official regardless of who wins, and at least announce in thread who had the most accurate list even if the elims win.

55 minutes ago, Frozen Mint said:

Just to clarify, it costs one charge to perform an action, correct? So if you perform an action, you lose one charge?

No. You only lose a charge if you incorrectly submit the location of your target. The charge limit is to stop people from just randomly guessing a whole bunch.

I'll sign up as Ven.

17 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

No. You only lose a charge if you incorrectly submit the location of your target. The charge limit is to stop people from just randomly guessing a whole bunch.

If you only lose a charge with an incorrect guess, then location roles would be infinite use and the elim kill could be used every cycle, among other things.

3 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I'll sign up as Ven.

If you only lose a charge with an incorrect guess, then location roles would be infinite use and the elim kill could be used every cycle, among other things.

I guess I was unclear. The rules distinguish between Allomantic and Location roles. Location roles have a single charge which is consumed upon use. Allomantic roles have 2 charges, and only consume one with an incorrectly submitted location (in which case the action also fails).

I'd like to join. I was testing coming back with the QF and it looks like I can commit to about one good post per day. It was a little rough with the speed of a quick fix, but three analysis posts per cycle might be better with the long game format.

I'll play Leek, an older skaa who never remembers where he is and always shouts loudly his opinions uncaring of whether others hear them or not. He also has the tendency to mix up or even reassign names to people.

7 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

I'd like to get at least 15 people in the game if I can, so if we are still hovering around the current numbers I'll probably extend signups until Wednesday or Friday. But I'll start by Friday at the latest, and work with less people if I have to.

Extra time would be good. I could use the recovery time.

I seem to have sprained/fractured my right wrist and I'm right hand dominant. Don't know if quiet-RPful is on the cards for me but quiet is very likely because typing left-handed is bothersome :P Please be understanding if there are no longposts from me.