Pardon the double post.

I've been playing around with the river tiles, here are some screenshots.

Spoiler

6129b85530014_Screenshot(53).png.99b82da98eecb4812679ef2e7b96e36e.png6129b8536c57a_Screenshot(52).thumb.png.d1e79e6a785cbe50912a6589bb54972b.png

I'm liking the look of them, but the one thing that I'm thinking is that characters will have trouble fitting in the river because it would be pretty tight. If we want to keep it this way, we could do somethings about the gameplay. Something like having bridges that have pegs on the ends so that you can place them in different places to cross. Then we could also have certain characters can jump or fly over but the rest have to cross bridges. There might also be characters that can swim and would be made sure to fit in the river. I'll keep playing around with them and also try the linking system that @Hoiditthroughthegrapevine showed earlier.

On 8/27/2021 at 9:25 PM, Experience said:

I've been playing around with the river tiles, here are some screenshots.

Hide contents

Those look awesome!

I'm liking the look of them, but the one thing that I'm thinking is that characters will have trouble fitting in the river because it would be pretty tight. If we want to keep it this way, we could do somethings about the gameplay. Something like having bridges that have pegs on the ends so that you can place them in different places to cross. Then we could also have certain characters can jump or fly over but the rest have to cross bridges. There might also be characters that can swim and would be made sure to fit in the river.

There should be a way to make the figurine bases fit in the river, I'll try and figure out a solution, and post some SVGs for you. I really like the start you got on these, they're looking great.

I'll keep playing around with them and also try the linking system that @Hoiditthroughthegrapevine showed earlier.

Awesome, can't wait to see what you come up with!

13 hours ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Those look awesome!

There should be a way to make the figurine bases fit in the river, I'll try and figure out a solution, and post some SVGs for you. I really like the start you got on these, they're looking great.

Awesome, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Ok, so the linking system is kind of complicated because we are using hexagons. Having the hooks on only the sides and not the corners is the easiest, at least for single tiles, as we can just have the hooks alternate on each side.

Spoiler

612d22834fb0e_ScreenShot2021-08-30at11_22_07AM.thumb.png.d4a28045962d0c330f4990bc61cc3af2.png

Now we have to look at larger tiles. Here is an example with a four-tile piece and two single tiles.

Spoiler

612d23979e6d9_ScreenShot2021-08-30at11_28_50AM.thumb.png.aa52de4490bddfe176244232af42b208.png

If we continue to use the alternating edges with this, then the hooks will line up just fine. For the extra tile on the right, there won't be any problem connecting them. For the one on the bottom left though, it seems like there would be a problem trying to hook from both sides, so that's not very viable. I'm not sure if there's a good way to fix this by putting the hooks on the corners instead of the edges, but at the moment I can't think of a way that that would fix the problem. Another thing to think about is if you are trying to connect two larger tiles together, you would probably have some trouble with doing the hooks all at the same time.

The only thing I can think that would help is maybe have make it so that each tile is only all 'ins' or 'outs', but that would limit the pieces that can go together and would likely cause more pieces to be made. 

Maybe there is something that I'm overlooking, but I'm leaning towards maybe doing something like the peg or stacking thing from before?

45 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Shoot, cousin.

Ok:

Spoiler

Realms: A basic world is contained withing a realm,

Dimensions: are smaller worlds connected to a realm or a Plane. ex: the Nether and End from Minecraft, or the Dream world from WoT

Planes: are collections of realms. Planes are organised in the following manner 1 Prime Plane, 6 Core Planes, 8 FarPlanes, and innumberable Outerplanes.

Now this get's kinda difficult to follow if you don't have a model to see but I'm going to try anyway.

So from the Prime Plane there are six passages, Up, down, Left, Right, Forward, and Back, each of which leads to a Core Plane, From the Core Planes, you can either go back to the Prime plain or to one of four Far Planes.

The Far plaines don't connect to the Prime Plane, and only to two Core Planes, and you can only travel along those connections

Outerplanes are for Homebrew/Extra Planale anhialation games

If you need help think of a Sphere this is the Prime Plane, etend a line out from it's north and south poles, and in the four cardinal directions. At the end of those lines add other spheres These are the Core Planes. Now take the Core planes and connect them, this should leave you with a hollow sphere. Now place the Far Planes halfway between the Core planes.

Sound Good?

Feel free to shoot me down, I get that it's convoluted.

Edited by Frustration

6 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

It's a bit convoluted. I like the whole Planes, Realms, Dimensions thing, but considering that this will be a more-or-less randomly-generated multiverse, I think that aligning them in any particular fashion wouldn't be wise.

As you wish

Guess I'll toss that Idea to common use, anyone looking for something dig in

Edited by Frustration

I'm liking the look of them, but the one thing that I'm thinking is that characters will have trouble fitting in the river because it would be pretty tight. If we want to keep it this way, we could do somethings about the gameplay. Something like having bridges that have pegs on the ends so that you can place them in different places to cross. Then we could also have certain characters can jump or fly over but the rest have to cross bridges. There might also be characters that can swim and would be made sure to fit in the river. I'll keep playing around with them and also try the linking system that @Hoiditthroughthegrapevine showed earlier.

First off, have to say this is looking awesome! Nice work!

I've given it some more thought, and mocked it up in in my vector draw program a bit more. Here's what I think would work the best, basically create a river that is wide enough to accommodate the figurine base for different peg holes.

GM_RevisedRiverTiles.png.0788d73768e626493515bc9a1551afde.png

The dashed line is the size of the figurine base plus like a 64/th of inch of padding, and the river outline is drawn around the possible figurine placement positions. This would work like a charm.

Also, I like your idea of bridges, here's a sample of a bridge that spans 3 peg holes along the vertical dimension of the hexagonal tile, and shows just the river outline on the tiles:

GM_RevisedRiverTiles_BridgePieces.png.49c3792c41a0e989880537683e5caf1a.png

Looks sick!

I've got a little bit of file clean up to do on these, but I'll post an SVG file of the modified river tiles tomorrow and ping you when it's ready.

10 hours ago, Experience said:

Ok, so the linking system is kind of complicated because we are using hexagons. Having the hooks on only the sides and not the corners is the easiest, at least for single tiles, as we can just have the hooks alternate on each side.

I initially sketched the linkages that way too, but it just mechanically wouldn't work to connect them, you'd be trying to sync up tabs and slots that are joining at two disparate angles, doesn't work. Also, I think it would be best to have base boards that link with slots and tabs and the terrain tiles would just be placed and or stacked on the base boards using the pegs on the bottom of the terrain tiles. I did some more work on figuring out the base board tab and slot joints, here are some diagrams of how I envision it working the best.

Orthographic plan views of the Flat Tab and Slots, and also peg depth and slot and tab placement.

GM_Board_TabOrthos.png.104eee99d48461c57e6f1e2fbe6d5040.png

Here's an axonometric projection of the plan views, so you can get a better idea of what the tab and slots are doing:

GM_Board_TabAxonometric.png.e2f00fc0a4b7e46b5b355274bf036df5.png

And finally, here's a top plan view of three 4x4 tile boards, with their tabs and slots and how they would joinj, with a bit of explanatory text as well.

GM_4x4TileBoard_SlotsAndTabs.thumb.png.8a807c2c794eec273a1ec1d13f7f2736.png

How I envision this working is that the base boards are the most commonly used boards, and quest cards would have you build up from the base boards with specialized terrain. As such, with the base boards, the areas where the hexagon tiles join could have more peg holes so that the peg hole grid is seamless, I'll post an SVG file of a 4x4 tile grid with the extra peg holes tomorrow too (and it will have an additional shape that could be boolean subtracted from the base shape to show the seams where the hexagon tiles meet, it would look super slick).

Also, @Experience, what program are using to model the 3D printer files? I'm playing a lot of D&D these days, and it would be nice to make some custom models for my play group and for my kids too.

This is seriously looking sweet, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

First off, have to say this is looking awesome! Nice work!

I've given it some more thought, and mocked it up in in my vector draw program a bit more. Here's what I think would work the best, basically create a river that is wide enough to accommodate the figurine base for different peg holes.

GM_RevisedRiverTiles.png.0788d73768e626493515bc9a1551afde.png

The dashed line is the size of the figurine base plus like a 64/th of inch of padding, and the river outline is drawn around the possible figurine placement positions. This would work like a charm.

Also, I like your idea of bridges, here's a sample of a bridge that spans 3 peg holes along the vertical dimension of the hexagonal tile, and shows just the river outline on the tiles:

GM_RevisedRiverTiles_BridgePieces.png.49c3792c41a0e989880537683e5caf1a.png

Looks sick!

I've got a little bit of file clean up to do on these, but I'll post an SVG file of the modified river tiles tomorrow and ping you when it's ready.

I initially sketched the linkages that way too, but it just mechanically wouldn't work to connect them, you'd be trying to sync up tabs and slots that are joining at two disparate angles, doesn't work. Also, I think it would be best to have base boards that link with slots and tabs and the terrain tiles would just be placed and or stacked on the base boards using the pegs on the bottom of the terrain tiles. I did some more work on figuring out the base board tab and slot joints, here are some diagrams of how I envision it working the best.

Orthographic plan views of the Flat Tab and Slots, and also peg depth and slot and tab placement.

GM_Board_TabOrthos.png.104eee99d48461c57e6f1e2fbe6d5040.png

Here's an axonometric projection of the plan views, so you can get a better idea of what the tab and slots are doing:

GM_Board_TabAxonometric.png.e2f00fc0a4b7e46b5b355274bf036df5.png

And finally, here's a top plan view of three 4x4 tile boards, with their tabs and slots and how they would joinj, with a bit of explanatory text as well.

GM_4x4TileBoard_SlotsAndTabs.thumb.png.8a807c2c794eec273a1ec1d13f7f2736.png

How I envision this working is that the base boards are the most commonly used boards, and quest cards would have you build up from the base boards with specialized terrain. As such, with the base boards, the areas where the hexagon tiles join could have more peg holes so that the peg hole grid is seamless, I'll post an SVG file of a 4x4 tile grid with the extra peg holes tomorrow too (and it will have an additional shape that could be boolean subtracted from the base shape to show the seams where the hexagon tiles meet, it would look super slick).

Also, @Experience, what program are using to model the 3D printer files? I'm playing a lot of D&D these days, and it would be nice to make some custom models for my play group and for my kids too.

This is seriously looking sweet, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Ok, so i think the idea for just making the river the right size is probably the best idea, so I'll adjust the sizes so that they would fit. I might also work on some bridge ideas as well as making a third river tile that is a sharper turn and goes from one side to the adjacent side. 

So have a base board that characters can move around on and is actually used, then you can use pegs to add stuff on? I think that's what your saying, and that sounds good. If that's the case I have some ideas for possibly tile pieces that have some more open tile spots so that you can get stacks that are higher than just one. Also, I think the pegs will work quite well in that case where the bases are larger. 

I use blender, which is completely free. I also found out that one of my brothers has had some experience working with 3d printing so I'll see if I can get his help with printing the tiles.

Edited by Experience

5 minutes ago, Experience said:

So have a base board that characters can move around on and is actually used, then you can use pegs to add stuff on? I think that's what your saying, and that sounds good. If that's the case I have some ideas for possibly tile pieces that have some more open tile spots so that you can get stacks that are higher than just one. Also, I think the pegs will work quite well in that case where the bases are larger. 

How I see it working is that the terrain tiles would be printed with the pegs on the bottom, so they could be placed on the base level boards or stacked on terrain tiles. 

You could stack as many terrain tiles on top of each other as you want, and we could design some that have built in different heights on the same tile. Also could make some that have forests where there's only certain open pegs in the forest (movement modifiers, surprise attack modifiers, etc).

This is totally just sn idea, do it how it makes the most sense to you and I definitely want to see what you come up with!

16 minutes ago, Experience said:

I use blender, which is completely free. I also found out that one of my brothers has had some experience working with 3d printing so I'll see if I can get his help with printing the tiles.

Sweet, thanks for the info and hope the printing goes well!

19 minutes ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

How I see it working is that the terrain tiles would be printed with the pegs on the bottom, so they could be placed on the base level boards or stacked on terrain tiles. 

You could stack as many terrain tiles on top of each other as you want, and we could design some that have built in different heights on the same tile. Also could make some that have forests where there's only certain open pegs in the forest (movement modifiers, surprise attack modifiers, etc).

That sounds awesome. 

@Experience blender is awesome!! It's a super powerful 3D modeling application, and I think I can make some figurines with it!

Here are some more refined sketches of the knight and ogre figurines. It would be stellar to have a fixed scale factor that we're using, we'd probably need two, one for the figurines and one for the terrain tiles and buildings. If we keep these two scale factors, all the pieces will feel like they are part of a unified set, and the sense that you are building an actual will be stronger.

20210831_163730.thumb.jpg.e3f476d8d06944529d142edb42036946.jpg

EDIT*

Just some preliminary modeling, this isn't quite what I was going for but it'll get there (spoilered below).

Spoiler

Figurine_Knight_01.thumb.png.939508edabbeb1d62a289f44a6384df8.png

Slightly different view

Figurine_Knight_01b.thumb.png.54988694f7404163bc0eae69b57653b6.png

I think I am going to go even simpler because with the width of a hexagon tile from peak to peak being set at 1", a harmonious base figurine scale factor would be 1/192, so a 6' tall knight figurine would have a scaled height of 3/8' (or .375"). If the ogre was twice as tall as the human, 12' tall, it's figurine height would be 3/4" or .75". That's not a lot of room for detail, so I'm thinking low poly modeling for sure.

Edited by Hoiditthroughthegrapevine
Added some stuff, check it out, it's fee to take a gander as they say.

Sorry to double post, but this is pretty cool stuff.

So I was looking more into scale factors, and the more I thought about this the better I liked it. For one, it creates a unifying principal between the disparate pieces, and it also makes it more immersive. If you are battling a small 4 ft. tall kobold, it should look like it's kind of unimpressive, but if you are battling a 45 ft tall frost giant, it should look like it's gargantuan.

Also, having a unified scale factor for the figures and a separate scale factor for the terrain tiles, makes sense because it's pretty intuitive to switch between 2 scale factors, your avatar being slightly larger (or much larger) than the scale of the world, makes sense to me.

I think that for the purposes of prototyping we should pick either 1/192 (1 inch = 16') or 1/144 (i inch = 12'). Both would work, but I would argue for the smaller figure scale factor (1/192), it makes it so more creatures/characters would fit on a single tile and it's pretty cool to have things minuature. A 6 foot tall knight would be 3/8" tall, pretty sweet. Here's a graphic that shows the different figurine scale factors:

GM_FigurineScaleFactors.png.01ab38fdc4980a3124228a04d434ec05.png

The tiles, from peak to peak are 1" wide, and distance from peg hole to peg hole is 1/8". I tried out 3 different terrain scale factors, 1/480 (1 inch = 40 feet, from peg to peg is 5 feet), 1/960 (1 inch = 80 feet, from peg to peg is 10 feet), and finally 1/1440 (1 inch = 120', from peg to peg is 15 feet). I also whipped up a quick little tavern model that I rendered in the same axonometric projection that I've been doing the other diagrams in, and you can see what they look like in the following graphic:

GM_TerrainTileScaleFactors_BothFigs.thumb.png.83594c74c4377814f3e21897769ea466.png

The kind of cool thing about using a terrain scale of 1/1,440 and a figurine scale of 1/144 would be that the figures are proportional 10 times larger than the buildings/terrain.

After looking at all of this I kind of think that I like 1/192 scale for the figurines and 1/1,440 for the terrain a small village could be a single terrain tile, and a large city could be designed that's a full 8x8 tiled board (and that would an area of 1,440 ft wide by 1080 tall).

Here's a quick picture of the Tavern and 1/192 figurine, scaled up a bit:

GM_TickledPig.png.07eeed31e2620e32c47b25c139866566.png

Let me know what you think!

34 minutes ago, Tani said:

How many things would it break if the pieces didn't have pegs?

Nothing would really break, but say you have a quest card that shows the barebones of a predefined quest. One of things that could be on it would be a map that shows how to setup the board. After you go through the trouble of setting the pieces up with pegs, if the board gets bumped it's no big deal, everything stays were you set it up.

Also, with the peg holes being a standardized distance, the movement speed of your character (across different terrain types too) could be accurately simulated. Say you have a human fighter that has a base movement speed of 30 ft/ turn. If the terrain tiles were scaled at 1/1,440, then in one turn your fighter could move a distance of two peg holes. Pretty slick. And if you need to swim up a river, and you're not a great swimmer, ans say your movement speed was reduced to 5 ft/turn, it would take you 3 turns to swim to a new peg hole. Again, pretty slick.