Ishar's Experiments

Wyndle88

Probably not, because it seems like it would be the most inefficient way possible to go about spiking a spren. We know from this WoB that stealing something from a spren can be done in the Cognitive Realm and that you can't really use a spike to give anything to a spren. If you're trying to get something from a spren, there's no need to try and draw them into the Physical and make bodies for them; we don't know how that works yet but it can't be easy and it clearly doesn't work very well. Much easier to pop into Shadesmar and stab them over there. If you're trying to spike something into them to make a Sprenquisitor, well, apparently that just can't be done.

Edited by Weltall

Depends whats happening there, but generally Yes(?), depending on your definition.  Hemalurgy is carving off functional chunks of Spiritweb.  As far as I can tell Ishar was manipulating Spiritweb Connections a little more directly (not requiring the Physical (metal) part of the equation.  But if Connections are the wires of the Spiritweb "circuit", Ishar is manipulating similar fundamental cosmere forces.  

The difference that I see is how they get and alter their raw materials.  Hemalurgy is donor/splicing system that stores the investiture in a physical object (the spike) and accesses the spiritweb through Bind Points.  I think Ishar is starting with a Radiant Nahel Bond, cranking it up to 1000% and/or altering its nature to entirely override the Human with the Spren, making them more like Super-Fused than normal Radiants.  They then Die because most of the Sapient spren species dont have native forms that are compatible with the Physical Realm (and physics, etc).

Edited by Quantus

I could probably read Ishar part a couple more times. It's one of my favorite parts seeing him fight as a bondsmith. I cannot wrap my head around his goal though. When I go through my thought process goes to WoT. Like most people go to Tel-a-whatever dream world. Then some people step into it physically. This is how I'm relating what happens to the spren. Its like to the spren the physical realm is like WoT dream world and Ishar is forcing them through "physically". So instead of coming in their typical realm form like a normal radiant spren, Syl disappearing and showing herself to who she wants, the cryptics doing spacey awesome cryptic things on random surfaces. Etc etc. Instead he is bringing them in "physically" in their real body. I'm not personally relating it to hemalurgy. And I have this big hunch saying it has something to do with Connection. But that seems more like Kelek's deal than Ishar? Ishar could still want unbounded from the system. I dunno. Random thoughts. Very very interesting part of the book.