Of Ravens, Potions, and Cauldrons

Zephrun’s Imperium

Okay, I'm starting another RP, hopefully this one won't DIE on me. 

Idea: Witch Hunt
Character: Riva Praetorium
Setting: Medieval Village
Potential: Off the charts

I... don't have much else to say other than to introduce my character and her husband played by @The Ward's Guard, I guess. 

Name: Riva Praetorium
Appearance: 5'5'', black hair, striking blue eyes. She has a very skeletal body and is deathly pale with sharp cheekbones.
Details: About 92 years of age, although she looks far younger because she uses potions to keep herself young. Originally lived as the torturess in the now-destroyed kingdom of Mendahar. She and her husband Caden (who, in Mendahar, led the army as its general) live with a litter of puppies and are searching for a child to further warm their home. Riva has been accused of being a witch before and had to flee.
Personality: Very snarky, sharp of wit. She can be incredibly rude and she always has her chin up high with pride despite her social awkwardness.
Skills: More adept at potion making than anyone else on the planet. Though she originally used that skill to torture people, she's now using it to be the local healer of this small village. She keeps the extent of her skill hidden.

Edited by Zephrun's Imperium

I’m not on my computer right now and thus can’t paste the character sheet but shall do so as soon as it becomes convenient—perhaps I shall edit this to add it.

Also it doesn’t have to be springtime I just felt like getting into descriptions to properly get into introducing this character

also, woohoo this is the first female I’ve played.

The slight warmth of the sun’s rays, today accompanied with a light breeze, seemed to give hope to Audette Allaire of more warm to come. The song of the birds almost managed to bring a smile to her face, but the daunting chore of her summertime garden loomed before her. There was much to do to ensure herself a year’s worth of diverse assortment of sweet fruits and vegetables. And she did not want to have to travel the long road into town in the middle of the frozen winter to buy anything.

Audette sat on a stump of an old fell tree, in the front yard of her homely cottage, nestled away far enough from civilization. She closed her eyes, breathing in the sounds and smells of the forests—the grass, the trees, the air—throughout her body, into the tips of her fingers and toes. She breathed out, feeling herself  become just a little lighter. She let go of her worries, letting them fade from her mind as she was once again reminded by the universe that her problems were not her own.

With that out of the way, Audette opened her eyes, got off her stump, and got to work.

Well, my name'll be Kavin the Strong. Tall, big and strong. I'm a bit slow, so I'll try to keep up with you fellas. Don't go expecting too much.

Name: Kavin the Strong

Appearance: He's very tall, at about six eleven and a half. He's also pretty widely built, with wide shoulders and an overall big body. His hair is pale farmer's blond. His eyes are very blue green and very yellow green. He generally wears loose clothes of simple make. 

Personality: A bit slow, but generally kindly. Seen as a bit of a freak by the general village, but most won't hesitate to pay him a coin or two to do some heavy lifting for him. He's actually quite unwilling to hurt people, but if they actually hurt him, he will strike out aggressively and sometimes accidentally kill.

Backstory: He was mostly normal, except for his eyes until about the age of three, when it became apparent he was more than a large child. By then, most six year olds had to look up to look him in the eyes. By age ten, he was as big as a small adult and the strongest man in the village. He continued growing and getting stronger until he towered over everyone in the village. At nineteen, he slowed and finally stopped growing at twenty-one. By then, he could pick up the majority of old Agornathy's pigs. A few years later, a local bully was making fun of him and even went so far as to poke Kavin with a sharp stick. In seconds, Kavin retaliated harshly. Unfortunately, his retaliation resulted in the bully's back being snapped. The villages drove him to the edge of town, to the house of Enoris Oathkeeper. She was kindly old woman who had always been nice to Kavin, so when she say the villagers chasing him, she asked why. The villagers said that Kavin jad ruthlessly murdered a man, but when Enoris discovered the bullies identity, she inquired further to find that Kavin had been provoked. She then rose to Kavin's defense and convinced the mob to leave him alone. Years later, Enoris still takes care of him and is his main provider. 

Skills: Lots of simple skills, but he tends to make up for his lack of knowledge with brute force.

Name: Audette Allaire

Appearance: Around 5'6", with long curly syrup-brown hair, with soft brown eyes. Lean yet sturdy.

Details: About 25 years old. When she was very young, her mother convinced Audette's father to escape the town, and to build a cottage deep in the woods. After it was built, her mother murdered Audette's father in a cave so she could raise Audette herself. She raised and taught Audette until she was 15, and then she died of a terrible sickness. For the last ten years, Audette has been living in seclusion in the cottage in the woods.

Personality: Quiet, peaceful, and wise. She has great difficulty conversing with others, and no care for the general state of the land. She meditates to ease the worries of surviving alone and is sure to always be on her toes.

Skills: General survival skills, raising pigs, crafting delectable meals, gardening, and meditating.

When shall we get started? When more people join?

I can kick us off

Riva missed her makeup kit. Even after almost three years living in a cottage rather than a castle, she didn't think she'd ever forget the wonderful tools of beauty she'd had access to. Every glance in the mirror seemed to mock her ever-more-apparent lack of youth; potions couldn't hide her wrinkles like they used to. But Caden still seemed to think she was beautiful and that should have been all that mattered. Why wasn't it?

With a sigh, the former torturess wrapped a scarf around her head. It was far too "old-woman" for her taste, but she could hardly wear the scanty black and blue gowns she wore as the Raveness anymore. Not only did they not have the money, but she could no longer deny that her wrinkly skin, sagging breasts, and bony form were nothing anyone wanted to see. Well. No one except maybe her husband, but he was different for obvious reasons. Yes, the itchy, colorless, hideously modest peasant dresses she was forced to wear now were a necessary evil. One she would have to get used to. That whole "getting-used-to" thing seemed have to been a theme of this last little while...

"Caden!" Riva wandered around the house. "Caden, dear, aren't we going shopping?"

Name: Caden Praetorium

Appearance: Fairly tall at 6'4, although he walks with a feint slouch. His most distinctive feature is the scarring on his face, which if not for the scaring, it might have been considered handsome. His scars are accompanied by caramel hair that is greying out fast, but accented by amber gold eyes. While no longer in any official military, he still dresses both in a militaristic and utilitarian, unless his wife decides to dress him.

Details: Reaching nearly 56 years of age, to which he has survived to because of both his continued skill in combat, as well as his wife's skill is potion making. While he was once a proud general of the kingdom of Mendahar, but he was forced to the humility of the dust when he failed to save it from destruction. Now he's searching with his wife, the once infamous Raveness for a new purpose, which he believes that he has found in breeding and caring for dogs, but his better half might have other plans.

Personality: A straight forward, and often times oblivious man to social situations. He's uncompromising unless he's dealing with his wife, then whatever she wants will fly (within reason). 

Skills: Superb in the art of combat despite his age, and while he's straightforward in social situations, he's a tactical and strategic man when it comes to working his way around a battlefield. What he lacks for in youth is made up for in age and experience.

Edited by The Ward's Guard

"Enoris!" Kavin called, "I'm heading to Audette. You coming with me?"

"Oh my dear boy," started Enoris from the cabin, "I don't think I could walk to the path today, let alone all the way to Audette's house."

"But Enoris, you haven't come to Audette's since early fall last year."

"I know, I know, but my age must considered, you may be a young man, but I am no longer a spirited girl of twenty, and unless the Reincarnationists are right, I never will be again."

Kavin sighed. "All right then Enoris. See you in some time." Kavin started down the path.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:18 AM, The Unknown Order said:

"Enoris!" Kavin called, "I'm heading to Audette. You coming with me?"

"Oh my dear boy," started Enoris from the cabin, "I don't think I could walk to the path today, let alone all the way to Audette's house."

"But Enoris, you haven't come to Audette's since early fall last year."

"I know, I know, but my age must considered, you may be a young man, but I am no longer a spirited girl of twenty, and unless the Reincarnationists are right, I never will be again."

Kavin sighed. "All right then Enoris. See you in some time." Kavin started down the path.

Her shovel hit the ground with a dull thud, and she pulled the handle downward with a small shink of the soft, damp dirt. Audette lifted the dirt out into a pile as she continued to dig trenches for her year's plot of potatoes. As she worked, humming a song to herself, her mind drifted to the plotting of her writings. Stories of kingdoms, of romance, of adventure, and of death. Once her trench was finished, she began placing cut pieces of potato face down, using her stride to measure the correct distance apart. The day grew warmer, but thankfully the breeze remained. Still, it wasn't long before she had to make a trip to the creek to fetch a pail of water.

14 hours ago, The Unknown Order said:

Just as that thought occured, Kavin called out, "Audette, anything you need me to do?"

Audette gasped in surprise and glanced over towards the path. Kavin was back again, so soon? Had it really been that long since he’d last been here? She often lost track of time, but she felt she was checked on way too often.

Her hair was a mess, and her arms caked in dirt from her day’s worth of planting, but she was never one to care for appearances.

“Greetings, Kavin.”

Edited by Knight of Iron

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 6:50 PM, Zephrun's Imperium said:

Riva took Caden's hand and the old couple walked out together. "This whole shopping trip was your idea, so tell me, what are we looking for? Things for the puppies, I know that much."

"Yes, the puppies." Caden nodded, not meeting his wife's eyes. "That is the precise, and only reason we're going out shopping this fine morning."