Compounding Tin questions

DoctaDajman

So I have been poking around the topic of tin feruchemy for a while.  It seems that some feel that allomantic senses may be able to be stored.  If that is true could a tin compounder also compound allomantic senses?  

More specifically if atium is revised to be usable by all folks as a result of it being a god metal would a tin compounder be able to burn even a scrapes worth of atium and then compound that future sight infinitely?

This question dives a bit deeper into the whole identity thing but would someone who had access even for a moment to either a spike or medallion that grants either steel/iron or brass or even pewter (sense of balance) be able to then compound those senses infinitely even if they lose access to the spike/medallion that allowed them to use it in the first place?  

We know Bronze can be stored, others can't. But I don't think storing sensitivity to metal vision or the future vision would allow you to use those powers, even if it were possible to store them. This would only increase your effectiveness while you are using these powers. Or else it would be like tapping vision that you had stored up before you went blind.

Compounding Tin is one of my absolute favorites!

12 hours ago, DoctaDajman said:

So I have been poking around the topic of tin feruchemy for a while.  It seems that some feel that allomantic senses may be able to be stored.  If that is true could a tin compounder also compound allomantic senses?  

Yes, as far as we know you can store and thus compound allomantic senses like Bronze (or even off-world senses like Life-sense).  I suspect Atium is going to be an exception because of how it's creating a real-time peak into the Spiritual Realm and because it's also augmenting your mind enough to interpret what you perceive.  Also just being a Godmetal imply that its effects take higher quantities of INvestiture than would be available with normal metals (but that feels like it would end up being more of a narrative choice if and when it becomes relevant).   

More specifically if atium is revised to be usable by all folks as a result of it being a god metal would a tin compounder be able to burn even a scrapes worth of atium and then compound that future sight infinitely?

I dont think so for the reasons above.  If it did do something I suspect it would be dangerous and drive them crazy, getting all the sensory input but not the cognitive augmentation needed to handle that firehose.  Compounding is a hack of the two system that is not necessarily safe to use.    Electrum on the other hand might indeed able to be compounded indefinitely.

This question dives a bit deeper into the whole identity thing but would someone who had access even for a moment to either a spike or medallion that grants either steel/iron or brass or even pewter (sense of balance) be able to then compound those senses infinitely even if they lose access to the spike/medallion that allowed them to use it in the first place?  

No, the spike or Medallion is what grants them the ability to both Fill or Tap metalminds.  The Metalminds would remain Invested but would be unreachable until the person recovered the ability (unless they were created UnKeyed, of course). 

12 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

@Koloss17 Tin Theology may be getting a new member.

Indeed, indeed.

Yeah basically all the other peeps said it. Atium, bronze, electrum, the 11th metal, gold, lifesense, aviar stuff (sense related of course) iron, and steel all count as their own sense. You can even possibly count pain as it’s own sense! Basically, anything that lets you see, hear, feel, taste, or touch things that function outside of those five senses (ie. being able to see atium shadows while blind, which the inquisitors can do), you can store as it’s own sense. This also counts for stuff like pewter’s sense of balance and (stormlight spoilers)

Spoiler

Windrunner’s sense of direction

Can be stored as an add on to those other senses!

really cool stuff!

22 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Indeed, indeed.

Yeah basically all the other peeps said it. Atium, bronze, electrum, the 11th metal, gold, lifesense, aviar stuff (sense related of course) iron, and steel all count as their own sense. You can even possibly count pain as it’s own sense! Basically, anything that lets you see, hear, feel, taste, or touch things that function outside of those five senses (ie. being able to see atium shadows while blind, which the inquisitors can do), you can store as it’s own sense. This also counts for stuff like pewter’s sense of balance and (stormlight spoilers)

Hide contents

Windrunner’s sense of direction

Can be stored as an add on to those other senses!

really cool stuff!

I had a feeling that all of that could be stored.  My 2nd question was more along the lines of how those senses are ... well sensed.   

If you have stored taste can you still use that metalmind to taste something if the tongue is gone?  Same with long eye sight and losing your eyes.  

If you used a medallion or spike to gain the ability to use bronze or steel or anything that carries a specific sense with it, then stored that is using it again tied to your tin metal mind of is it tied to the medallion or spike which granted you the ability in the first place?   I assume this would be less of an issue for atium if we assume God metals may be burned by anyone in which case a sliver of atium could be compounded for the future sight alone. 

Perhaps a tin compounder with atiums future sight stored would go crazy.  But if that person had access to say an F zinc and to lesser degree steel medallion or spike they could use some of that speed to counter the mind destroying that that much future sense could give you.  

I am fascinated by the ideas of temporarily having access to a power and being able to store even small portions of those powers through feruchemy (nicrosil aside because that is a massive RAFO bag I cant be bothered to investigate further).  The idea of compounding a portion of power that you temporarily had is an interesting one but I guess it all boils down to what holds the sense.  Is it the tin or is it the tongue??  Can you even make a parallel like that from the physical world to the spiritual world to the cognitive world?  

4 hours ago, DoctaDajman said:

I had a feeling that all of that could be stored.  My 2nd question was more along the lines of how those senses are ... well sensed.   

If you have stored taste can you still use that metalmind to taste something if the tongue is gone?  Same with long eye sight and losing your eyes.  

You enhance your senses, not create them. if you stored eyesight and then got your eyes pulled out, you tapping that stored eyesight isn't going to improve your zero eyesight.

you used a medallion or spike to gain the ability to use bronze or steel or anything that carries a specific sense with it, then stored that is using it again tied to your tin metal mind of is it tied to the medallion or spike which granted you the ability in the first place?

Tied to the metalmind.

I assume this would be less of an issue for atium if we assume God metals may be burned by anyone in which case a sliver of atium could be compounded for the future sight alone. 

Atium cannot be burned by anyone.

16 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

You enhance your senses, not create them. if you stored eyesight and then got your eyes pulled out, you tapping that stored eyesight isn't going to improve your zero eyesight.

Tied to the metalmind.

Atium cannot be burned by anyone.

I got the idea of atium being burned by anyone from this thread where it was quoted as part of the potential screenplay changes that Brandon was working on.  

This was what initially caused me to question if a compounder if tin could compound atium even if only a sliver was left in the world to initially consume.  The idea that God metals have that in common (being usable by everyone) sort of pushed me in that direction. Of course it isn't cannon as of now.  Would be interesting to see how Brandon treats it in the future since atium will likely make a return.  

17 hours ago, DoctaDajman said:

Presumably any senses that require actual physical features would not be magically restored by tapping, but I think it's a question worth asking.  I do think that if it does magically restore sight after blinding, it would work for the same window as Gold Healing, and that once they arent part of your cognitive aspect you wouldnt be able to tap the metalminds anymore.  The magical senses dont have that barrier, and I cant really think of an equivalent. 

On the other hand, there is overlap in other metals of the metallic arts, so maybe a blind person tapping sight would be healed, temporarily or otherwise?