Question about the Sovereign, major Mistborn spoilers

Davie

Hi everyone! I started reading the Cosmere in January and absolutely DEVOURED Mistborn, then Elantris, Shadows for Silence, and Sixth of the Dusk. I’m currently about halfway through Words of Radiance so please just let me know if the answer to my question is somehow a spoiler for Stormlight or any of the other stuff I haven’t read yet and that’ll be suitable for me.

ANYWAY here’s my question: When do we learn that “The Soveriegn”, who was originally implied to be The Lord Ruler in BoM is Kelsier? Is it just something I completely didn’t pick up on when I read BoM? Like it makes so much sense now that I know it especially considering the spearhead twist but was it said in a book or is it a WoB thing? I spoiled myself on the topic reading the coppermind a few minutes ago and now that it’s been so long since I read Bands I just don’t remember it well enough to know if it’s something I missed. I also read Secret History and as far as I remember it ended with the explicit implication (explication?) that Kelsier was still doing stuff that would tie in to Era 2 and beyond but nothing specific.

Sorry this is kinda scattered but I need to know if it’s something I missed while reading or if there’s just more Mistborn content out there I simply haven’t read yet and need to get to before The Lost Metal comes out? 

Also this is my first post on this site and as I keep reading and expand my knowledge of the cosmere and therefore fear spoilers less and less I look forward to interacting with this community more and more :^)

Right at the end of BoM, when Wax realizes the "coin" beggarHoid chucked him was a coppermind, the memory had Kelsier extending his hand and it showing the scars, which, knowing that Rashek had no scars like that, clued most of us in somewhat. Then, somewhere in Secret History, there's something about nailing a Shadow back into a body. That kind of sealed the deal. Since then there have been several confirmations from Brandon that it is Kelsier as the final nail in that coffin, including this one:

Spoiler

Questioner

Are you planning to resurrect Kelsier?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, how far have you read in this book?

Questioner

I have read it all.

Translator

So he's not really dead.

Brandon Sanderson

Well, it depends on what you count as Cognitive Shadow. So resurrect… no… but…

Questioner

There was this quote about the kite that was without a string.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, he’s looking for a string. He’s indeed looking for a string, so what’s actually going to happen is RAFO.

Kraków signing (March 21, 2017)

Omh thank you so much @Invocation the memory of reading that came flooding back. I think I realized it at the time of reading then somehow it left my brain. If only I had stored the memory in a coppermind. Thinking about Secret History and how we saw Rashek’s cognitive shadow stretch into the beyond is what triggered this question, because for some reason I still had it in my head that it was actually Rashek lol. I should probably give Wax and Wayne another read-through before the new one comes out so I don’t fall prey to mistakes like this again. 

When I read BoM the first time what really tipped me off that it was Kel and not TLR (In addition to the Hathsin scars) was the final word of the book: survive.

Gives me chills every time I read the epilogue