Awakening mechanics and giving away Breaths

Hyarmenatan

Question

Hi all, apologies if this was asked, but I never explored the Warbreaker sections of the forum as this is my least favorite novel. I have some questions about giving away the Breaths.

1) Would a person born on Nalthis be able to give his Breaths to non-Nalthian if they were on Nalthis? (e.g. If Kaladin moved to Nalthis, could he receive Breaths?)
2) Similar case - Kal moves to Nalthis, can he give his Breath to a Nalthian?

3) Can a Nalthian give away his Breaths off-world to a non-Nalthian? E.g. Zahel to Kal on Roshar?

4) Can a non-Nalthian give his Breaths to a Nalthian on Roshar? After proper training, with Intent etc. E.g. Kal to Zahel on Roshar

5) Can two Nalthians exchange Breaths off-world? Like on Roshar?

I think the answers would be 1)Yes 2)No 3)Yes 4)No 5)Yes but I am just guessing based on the fact that Awakening and Breaths are not planet-related like Elantrian magic but they are inborn, sDNA related abilities. This is only my speculations though. Obviously Hoid is Awakening and he is not from Nalthis, but he is an extraordinary individual so maybe not a best example.

6 answers to this question

to clarify:

only nalthians are born with Breaths, however anyone can receive breath. if you have a breath (either natural born or received), you can use it for awakening and/or give it away. there is no location restriction on this, so you don't need to be on nalthis to do any of it.

2 hours ago, Hyarmenatan said:

Hi all, apologies if this was asked, but I never explored the Warbreaker sections of the forum as this is my least favorite novel. I have some questions about giving away the Breaths.

1) Would a person born on Nalthis be able to give his Breaths to non-Nalthian if they were on Nalthis? (e.g. If Kaladin moved to Nalthis, could he receive Breaths?)
2) Similar case - Kal moves to Nalthis, can he give his Breath to a Nalthian?

3) Can a Nalthian give away his Breaths off-world to a non-Nalthian? E.g. Zahel to Kal on Roshar?

4) Can a non-Nalthian give his Breaths to a Nalthian on Roshar? After proper training, with Intent etc. E.g. Kal to Zahel on Roshar

5) Can two Nalthians exchange Breaths off-world? Like on Roshar?

I think the answers would be 1)Yes 2)No 3)Yes 4)No 5)Yes but I am just guessing based on the fact that Awakening and Breaths are not planet-related like Elantrian magic but they are inborn, sDNA related abilities. This is only my speculations though. Obviously Hoid is Awakening and he is not from Nalthis, but he is an extraordinary individual so maybe not a best example.

*facepalm* Okay, word of advice, go to the coppermind for answers before trying here, because, and I don't mean to be offensive, but half of these questions are dumb, and you'll see why I say that.

1) Yes

2) No, Nathlins are born with Breaths, not everyone in the Cosmere. 

3) Yes, not sure about whether the person they give it to can use it, however. 

4) Number two answers this.

5) Yes.

To learn more about Breaths, go here. https://coppermind.net/wiki/BioChromatic_Breath 

15 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

to clarify:

only nalthians are born with Breaths, however anyone can receive breath. if you have a breath (either natural born or received), you can use it for awakening and/or give it away. there is no location restriction on this, so you don't need to be on nalthis to do any of it.

Do we have a definite confirmation that you need to die on Nalthis with Breath to join the club of the Returned? Or is Breath alone enough?

14 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Again, look at the coppermind. I'd hate for everyone who works on that wiki to not have people use it. 

Becoming Returned without being born on Nalthis is very hard,[15] but is possible, even without having collected any Breath.

So, no, you don't need to have been born on Nathlis to be a returned or have any Breath. Pretty sure you do need to die on Nathlis, though, otherwise Endowment can't really do much.

to be fair, the coppermind says you have to die to Nalthis to Return, but doesn't have a citation for that. I dug around in the WoBs and couldn't find a solid source, though i got bored long before i checked every result. I did also happen across conflicting answers to whether non-Nalthians could return, including one that was a hard "no" and others that suggested it would be possible.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:57 AM, Dunkum said:

to be fair, the coppermind says you have to die to Nalthis to Return, but doesn't have a citation for that. I dug around in the WoBs and couldn't find a solid source, though i got bored long before i checked every result. I did also happen across conflicting answers to whether non-Nalthians could return, including one that was a hard "no" and others that suggested it would be possible.

If there are Wobs with conflicting answers, check which one is most recent. BS could've changed his mind, after all. Also, good on you for noticing that.

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Do we have a definite confirmation that you need to die on Nalthis with Breath to join the club of the Returned? Or is Breath alone enough?

Again, look at the coppermind. I'd hate for everyone who works on that wiki to not have people use it. 

Becoming Returned without being born on Nalthis is very hard,[15] but is possible, even without having collected any Breath.

So, no, you don't need to have been born on Nathlis to be a returned or have any Breath. Pretty sure you do need to die on Nathlis, though, otherwise Endowment can't really do much.