Was abandoning the Oathpact the correct choice?

Oltux72

I am channeling my inner Jasnah and saying the unthinkable.

It was necessary and therefore a good thing. What was the alternative? A continous Desolation? Mankind would have lost and become enslaved, possibly extinct.

Yet let's look at the morals of this act. They abandoned Taln. And they did not obtain prior permission. But, and that needs to be made clear, they did not force it upon him. He could have yielded. So do we seriously want to argue that the Oathpact itself, which meant letting a small group bear the burden for all eternity was acceptable but letting one bear it alone for as long as he chose was utterly depraved? I think not.

Who was the true villain of Stormlight Archive? I am going to be blunt: Honor

The Desolations were planned for. I a sorry, but the Heralds are just too well equipped for war. Beyond their superpowers, they are even speaking the language of the time they are returning to. They were meant to be leaders and generals. I am sorry, but Honor planned this. He plunged a whole planetary system into eternal wars for his own goals and in contrast to Odium, he did not admit his own goals. He deserved his ultimate demise.

Edited by Oltux72
typo

I do agree that it seems a little too naive of Honor to truly expect the Heralds to never break their word and let Odium's forces back out of Braize.

But maybe it's a case of "a lock with no key is no lock at all" and so there MUST be some condition to unlock Odium's forces, or else Honor could not enforce the binding.

27 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

But maybe it's a case of "a lock with no key is no lock at all" and so there MUST be some condition to unlock Odium's forces, or else Honor could not enforce the binding.

Maybe Honor had to have a way out, making the oathpact a matter of mortals, or else Odium could simply brute force his way through it?

23 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I do agree that it seems a little too naive of Honor to truly expect the Heralds to never break their word and let Odium's forces back out of Braize.

• The Honorblades are weapons
  • The Heralds got Surges from their Blades
  • They were provided new bodies for each return
  • Those bodies were very good bodies with superhuman abilities so useful in combat
  • The Heralds get supplied with the current language upon their return (Taln speaks contemporary Alethi)
  • They get a convinient head start to form and train armies in each Desolation
  • The Dawnshards were available to them, at least for some time

What does it tell you about the planer if what is called a backup plan for an eventuality is better thought out, better prepared and works better than the primary plan?

23 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:
  • The Honorblades are weapons
  • The Heralds got Surges from their Blades
  • They were provided new bodies for each return
  • Those bodies were very good bodies with superhuman abilities so useful in combat
  • The Heralds get supplied with the current language upon their return (Taln speaks contemporary Alethi)
  • They get a convinient head start to form and train armies in each Desolation
  • The Dawnshards were available to them, at least for some time

What does it tell you about the planer if what is called a backup plan for an eventuality is better thought out, better prepared and works better than the primary plan?

The heralds had to fight the fused, and they needed to be immortal. The other things could have been implemented by Honor after the first desolation started, or maybe by Ishar.