Dragonsteel Mini Con

Nuatoma

I got my question asked!

Use the Falchion: Are Soulburner and Starburner the same project? And can you give us an update on either of of those, if they are?

Brandon (paraphrased): Things are going well, they are the same project, and it's NOT up to Brandon to talk about. 

My breakdown: If I wasn't 100% behind Soulburner being a videogame before, I am now. I think there's a not small chance that Soulburner is actually the PS4 game Forspoken. Reddit sniffed out a couple of sources a few months ago, and the information from that speculation has been proved accurate. Add in Brandon's comment about doing a call with a videogame company earlier this week, and it feels like there's something brewing. This also matches up with Brandon not being able to tell us anything IMO. The only problem is why Brandon would have an NDA so far into this project when others seemingly don't. And that's something I can't answer. 

Other things of note: 

I asked Steven Bohls if he and Brandon have any cool ideas for the next Lux book in terms of cool settings or cities - he mentioned that Book 5 will most likely be set in the New Orleans bayou/deep swamp area. (Or at least that's what he'd like.) It will most likely be a shorter book, at around 100k words overall; and there's a good chance that Mizzy will be a major POV character in the next book. Fun fact - Mizzy was supposed to show up in Lux, as Jax was supposed to go from Boston through New York, meet Mizzy and see Regalia flood the city, and then end up in Texas. This part ended up being cut as it was too tangential to the story. (Wingflare's original gimmick was going to be sound and a sound effect, but this was cut - as were most sound effects - as it felt too much like a gimmick.) Brandon currently wants Lux to be a trilogy, and the second book in that trilogy may be released sometime next November. (The two have ideas, but they were waiting on some sales reports and contract stuff first, and that may have just arrived this past week.) 

Dan is writing the novelization of Dark One at the moment. It's not following the outline, so don't expect it to end up like the graphic novel (sadly). Dan is planning on this being about a 100-120k novel overall. 

Janci unofficially announced more Skyward novellas, with a surprise POV character for one of them coming up. Brandon will give the official announcement tomorrow/today. This isn't really big spoiler-y or surprising news, as Janci a few months ago mentioned that there were things she couldn't talk about related to Skyward and that we can infer from there, and then Brandon mentioned that he had talks with Janci during his 11/19 SandoWriMo update - the one where he also talks about a meeting with a videogame company. 

Brandon Q&A tidbits, all paraphrased: 

Hoid should not be a Rosharan and Yolish Lightweaver, as it's getting close to something related to Dawnshards.

There are other Surges related to Yolish magic.

There are other Godmetals that can be used/burned by anyone. 

The "Crown, Tower, Spear" Death Rattle has not happened yet, either on-screen or off-screen

Janci's spotlight panel stuff: 

Evershore Prologue and Chapter 1 read.

Kimmalyn will most likely be a new novella character. She will also most likely be the LGBTQ+ character, as Janci wiggled her eyebrows suspiciously when asked. 

Janci would love to do a YA story set in Mistborn (it's not happening though, so don't spread rumors.)

Also, will anyone be at the Skyward spotlight panel at 4? Janci teased some big announcements, but I won't be there - I'm heading to Brian McClellan's panel. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

I asked a question at the spoiler Q&A

Dirigible: In Secret History, we have the Connection orb that Kelsier uses that draws Connection lines from him to things around him. If Vin (Well of Ascension era Vin) used that orb and also like drew in the mists, could she steelpush on non-metal objects?

Brandon: No, there are ways you can do that to non-metal but that is not it. There are ways

Dirigible: Atium alloys?

Brandon: Atium—what alloys?

Dirigible: Atium/Iron or Atium/Steel?

Brandon: Ehh, hmm, now you’re getting into RAFO territory.

Alright, time for my final update of Q&A stuff for this Con, as I wasn't one of the lucky 150. I'll quote questions I asked, and paraphrase the responses. Direct quotes will be in quotation marks, and everything else is paraphrased. 

Use the Falchion (to Janci): If you could work on a third project with Brandon, would you prefer that it be in the Cosmere, and if so, which series?

Janci: "Mistborn."

Janci was later asked which era she would like to write in, and confessed that it didn't really matter to her. She then went on to explain that she'd like to write a YA story that would ultimately bridge the gap between the times. (So more like what Wax & Wayne was originally intended as in an Era 1.5 sort of story.)

Kimmalyn will most likely be a future Skyward novella character*, and will most likely be a LGBTQ+ character, as a future LGBTQ+ romance IS coming.  (Not confirmed, but Janci wiggled her eyebrows suggestively when directly asked about Kimmalyn.)

Janci also ships Alanik and Arturo and doesn't want their relationship to end at just friendship. Janci also wants to name Spensa's mom Linea (sp.) 

EDIT: Most of the above has already been listed. (By me...earlier today...whoops...) I'm keeping these up though, just for posterity's sake. 

Use the Falchion (to Isaac): This question is mostly for Isaac - how closely did you work with Vault Comics on the Dark One graphic novel, and do you have any updates for Volume 2?

Isaac: (Paraphrased) We got to have as much involvement as we wanted to. Vault had competent writers, which made things easier. Dragonsteel made some suggestions, and Vault took them.

Isaac: (Direct Quote) "Volume 2 - all I can say - is it's in the works and it's gonna be cool." 

White Sand Omnibus is done! They're working with the publisher on it, and it will probably be released next year sometime. 

Isaac is also about halfway through his Nikki story. 

Lastly are some questions and answers from tonight's Q&A. Since this one was streamed, I'm pretty sure the Arcanum will use that footage instead. Still:

@Wyndlerunnerreported the Ashyn magic stuff. (Cultivation has briefly been to Ashyn as well.)

At the Bands of Mourning dance ball where Hoid and Khriss are, there is at least one, but probably two other worldhoppers present. 

Dune's monopoly on intergalactic travel narrative influenced the Cytoverse. 

Once again Brandon mentioned a videogame project he can't announce.** Ilos (sp.) wanted to work with Brandon, but was rejected due to another project being accepted. This rejected project was one of two denied, and has enough information out there that people have started comparing it to Mistborn. (This may be Forspoken, but the compony mentioned - which I completely misspelled - is neither Luminous Projects or Square Enix, the two driving forces behind Forspoken. I may have misheard however.) 

Aimians don't have Parshendi blood, but RAFO on other races mixing to result in them. 

Rithmatist - getting someone who has Aztec heritage to co-author the sequel is being looked into and a probably direction. This is not new information.

"What do Doomslugs taste like?" "They taste like...knowing you're a terrible person."

A worldhopper in The Lost Metal comes from a culture inspired by the Indian subcontinent. (I believe there's been speculation about a potential Elantrian country/continent, but there's no hard WoBs on this.)

Total Readings as far as I know: 

The Lost Metal (Chapters 1 & 2)

Evershore (Prologue & Chapter 1)

In the Shadow of Lightning (Brian McClellan's new book) (First part of a character's first viewpoint)

Kingmaker (Prologue & Chapter 1)

*This may or may not have been confirmed during the Skyward panel. I wasn't there. 

**Insert Soulburner speculation and hype. 

50 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

The Lost Metal (Chapters 1 & 2)

Evershore (Prologue & Chapter 1)

Any idea if/when/how those of us unable to make it the con might be able to get our hands on transcripts/recordings of those? Will they be up on the Arcanum at some point?

4 minutes ago, The Silverlight Scholar said:

Any idea if/when/how those of us unable to make it the con might be able to get our hands on transcripts/recordings of those? Will they be up on the Arcanum at some point?

TLM may be up, depending if Team Dragonsteel recorded that session and puts it online, and when. If they only recorded tonight's session and decide to release that, then we'll get Kingmaker instead. 

Evershore is a bit more nebulous. I imagine we'll get a teaser and/or maybe even the first chapter as a preview for the release, but I don't think they'll the convention version. Then again, I've been wrong before. 

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Janci also wants to name Spensa's mom Linea (sp.) 

Linnea. @Otto Didact suggested it during the Sunreach spoiler period, and Janci liked the name, so she's been rolling with it.

Regarding readings and Arcanum audio, things may either not happen, or take a little while. The official release event was livestreamed (privately) on YouTube, but I expect that one to become public at a later date (personal speculation). I am being told that the Spoiler Q&A was also recorded by Dragonsteel, presumably with the intent to post it at some point, but we don't know anything more there. Until these things become public, the only stuff we'll be putting in Arcanum are people's personal reports here, and elsewhere on the Internet. So if anyone has WoBs still fresh in their memory, post away :)

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

Evershore is a bit more nebulous. I imagine we'll get a teaser and/or maybe even the first chapter as a preview for the release, but I don't think they'll the convention version. Then again, I've been wrong before. 

We got Evershore in the newsletter

Great info though I didn't quite get this line:

On 2021/11/23 at 3:23 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Hoid should not be a Rosharan and Yolish Lightweaver, as it's getting close to something related to Dawnshards.

Does it have some context? Thanks!

7 hours ago, Argent said:

Linnea. @Otto Didact suggested it during the Sunreach spoiler period, and Janci liked the name, so she's been rolling with it.

Regarding readings and Arcanum audio, things may either not happen, or take a little while. The official release event was livestreamed (privately) on YouTube, but I expect that one to become public at a later date (personal speculation). I am being told that the Spoiler Q&A was also recorded by Dragonsteel, presumably with the intent to post it at some point, but we don't know anything more there. Until these things become public, the only stuff we'll be putting in Arcanum are people's personal reports here, and elsewhere on the Internet. So if anyone has WoBs still fresh in their memory, post away :)

Thanks for the correction and updates!

6 hours ago, Bnaya said:

We got Evershore in the newsletter

Oh thanks for the reminder! I legitimately forgot!

3 hours ago, Botanica said:

Does it have some context? Thanks!

I believe it was lumped into the question about other Surges being related to Yolish surges/powers. (But I have it as beforehand in my notes, so it may not be.) Brandon kept saying that Hoid should not be a Lightweaver, and mentioned that it was bringing him close to something related to the Dawnshards. I wish it in more detail, but that's the best I can do at the moment and there wasn't a lot of explanation. 

2 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Brandon kept saying that Hoid should not be a Lightweaver, and mentioned that it was bringing him close to something related to the Dawnshards. I wish it in more detail, but that's the best I can do at the moment and there wasn't a lot of explanation. 

Is this maybe a reference to how:[Dawnshard spoilers]

Spoiler

The Sleepless made Rysn promise not to bond a spren? That it’s somehow dangerous to combine the Command with the ability to surgebind? Maybe there’s a similar possible danger in combining Yolish and Rosharan Lightweaving?

53 minutes ago, mdross81 said:

Is this maybe a reference to how:[Dawnshard spoilers]

Hide contents

The Sleepless made Rysn promise not to bond a spren? That it’s somehow dangerous to combine the Command with the ability to surgebind? Maybe there’s a similar possible danger in combining Yolish and Rosharan Lightweaving?

That was specifically about

Spoiler

Combining a Dawnshard with a magic system. Hoid's no longer a Dawnshard, and Yolish Lightweaving is not a Dawnshard.

I guess it's some kind of a Resonance between two different expressions of the same - in principle - ability. Perhaps it allows access to deeper fundamentals of that art.

21 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

That was specifically about

Hide contents

Combining a Dawnshard with a magic system. Hoid's no longer a Dawnshard, and Yolish Lightweaving is not a Dawnshard.

I guess it's some kind of a Resonance between two different expressions of the same - in principle - ability. Perhaps it allows access to deeper fundamentals of that art.

That’s plausible enough. Makes me wonder whether Yolish Lightweaving is somehow more volatile/powerful, just like Khriss suggests that another Yolish version of a surge was in the RoW Ars Arcanum. 

1 hour ago, mdross81 said:

That’s plausible enough. Makes me wonder whether Yolish Lightweaving is somehow more volatile/powerful, just like Khriss suggests that another Yolish version of a surge was in the RoW Ars Arcanum. 

That's definitely plausible. Perhaps combining 2 magics with the same fundamental purpose leads to an exponential growth in the capabilities of a magic?

The question about Hoid came up before I asked about Yolish magic relating to Rosharan magic. I believe that Brandon was referring to how powerful Light weaving can be (there will be lightweavers with lasers in the future) and now that Hoid has both, it's very dangerous. 

I also asked the question about godmetals. Here's a rough transcript of the questions I asked and the answers (two are from the spoiler Q&A, one is from the personal signing. I was one of the lucky 150) 

Q: We know Rosharan lightweaving is similar to Yolish lightweaving, and we learn in RoW that Stoneshaping may be a gimped version of microkinesis. Are there other surges which are modified versions of Yolish magic?

A; Yes

QAre there other godmetals that non Mistborn can burn?

A: Yes

(This was at the personal signing)

Q: I am fascinated by godmetals. Can you tell me something new about godmetals, something that isn't known or isn't widely known? 

A: I can tell you this: the existence of godmetals is one reason why metal is so weird in the cosmere. 

I'm bad at remembering exact verbiage but this is at least close to what he said. He definitely used the word "weird" in the last one. 

Due to limited time and restrictive rules, I only had the opportunity to ask one question this time around.  It's something I'd been wondering ever since I read The Bands of Mourning and noticed some suspicious characters at the party.  I immediately thought "that woman and the gossippy guy are 'not from around here.'"  (This was back before I was aware of the term "worldhopper."  The woman, of course, was Khriss.)

So last night, I finally asked about it:

Q: In Bands of Mourning, at the party, Hoid and Khriss were both there, and talked with Wax.
A: Yeah.
Q: Were there any other worldhoppers present, and if so how many?
A: Hmm... yes, at least one.  Maybe two.

Also, I collected a few awesome cosplayer pics.

Steris:

Steris.png

A flock of Mistborn:

IMG_20211122_1533379.jpg

A giant Doomslug.  (The person wearing it was standing upright inside the inflatable Doomslug near the front.)doomslug.jpg

Also, me, (on the left, not in costume,) facing off against an opponent in Shardblade Sparring.  If you couldn't come, you really missed out for that alone!

IMG_20211122_1544240.jpg

Edited by Mason Wheeler

Questions that either my brothers or myself asked:

Q: For almost all the time we see Nightblood, he is shown as a 'he'. But for the short time that Lift interacts with Nightblood it is as a 'she'. Is this important or just up to the perception of the characters?

A: It's up to the characters perception. Lift just sees Nightblood as female. And Nightblood doesn't care. 

Q: Are the ghostbloods on Roshar the same group as the Set on Scadrial?

A: RAFO

Q: If you were to ask yourself one non-rafo question, what would it be?

A: Can I have a cookie? Yes. 

On 11/24/2021 at 0:01 PM, mail-mi said:

The question about Hoid came up before I asked about Yolish magic relating to Rosharan magic. I believe that Brandon was referring to how powerful Light weaving can be (there will be lightweavers with lasers in the future) and now that Hoid has both, it's very dangerous. 

Oh yeah! The "condense light into such a small concentrated place that it becomes a black hole" question! That was a fun one.