Investiture speculation

I dont think so, if for nothing else than because the Drab state seems to have shortcomings in several different Metals' purview.  They have strength, health, mental speed, and maybe Senses, Energy, and Determination all affected.  

Fwiw.  Drabs can use feruchemical medallions, fwiw, though they "are missing a little bit of something".  I suspect they'd fill it a lot slower, and/or have smaller max storage rates, etc.  

Questioner

Could non-Scadrians use Southern Scadrian medallions, and if so, could Drabs, too?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, the amulets? Yes, yes they could.

Questioner

And Drabs, also?

Brandon Sanderson

Could Drabs use one of the amulets and make them work? Yeah, Drabs could. They're missing a little bit of something I'll explain eventually, but they could make those work.

Leipzig Book Fair (March 24, 2017)

13 minutes ago, i’m in the details said:

I wonder if storing nicrocil makes you something like a drab in feruchemy, and tapping it can give you temporary heightenings. We found out in Dawnshard that simply having a lot of investiture grants heightenings. 

Where was that in Dawnshard? The only thing analogous to Heightenings I recall seeing in SA is the increased color aura effect when Nightblood is drawn.  ANd we have several examples of people having more investiture than heightenings and not exhibiting the Heightening effects.  

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

I dont think so, if for nothing else than because the Drab state seems to have shortcomings in several different Metals' purview.  They have strength, health, mental speed, and maybe Senses, Energy, and Determination all affected.  

Fwiw.  Drabs can use feruchemical medallions, fwiw, though they "are missing a little bit of something".  I suspect they'd fill it a lot slower, and/or have smaller max storage rates, etc.  

Where was that in Dawnshard? The only thing analogous to Heightenings I recall seeing in SA is the increased color aura effect when Nightblood is drawn.  ANd we have several examples of people having more investiture than heightenings and not exhibiting the Heightening effects.  

When rysn takes up the dawnshard she’s granted heightenings. BS has said that’s due to the amount of investiture. 

3 minutes ago, i’m in the details said:

When rysn takes up the dawnshard she’s granted heightenings. BS has said that’s due to the amount of investiture. 

Do you have a link to this WOB?  Id like to see his exact wording.  There are a lot of things in the Cosmere that are similar because they are built on common realmic mechanisms, but are not literally the same thing. When they are literally the same it has a lot more implications on the history and evolution of the Cosmere.  

Rysn got a burst of color enhancement consistent with a bunch of breaths, but if it's literal Heightening effects then we can assume she has Life Sense, Perfect Pitch/Color, Immortality, Instinctive Investiture use, etc. etc. which is a much bigger deal.  

From the other examples we have, just a big store of any kind of investiture alone wont create the Heightenings.  We've seen people Ascend from overuse of Metallic Arts (Atium) without gaining other Heightening effects.  We've also seen LTR need to hack Atium for a dangerous limited Immortality when he had access to more than the 5th Heightenings worth of Investiture.  

@Quantus, these two WoBs, I think the second is what deets was referring to. Also, 

#1 (All Dawnshards give the same heighteningish effects)

Spoiler

The21stPotato

Can you tell us the equivalent Heightening she [Rysn] now has? She seems to be at least Third Heightening equivalent but I'm not sure how much else she has gained from holding a Dawnshard. Do ALL Dawnshards grant these Heightening-like effects?

Brandon Sanderson

All Dawnshards would grant the same effects in this regard.

As for specifics, I think I'll leave that as what is mentioned in the text, for now. (Sorry.)

Dawnshard Annotations Reddit Q&A (Nov. 6, 2020)

#2 (dawnshards make you very invested, whereas allomancy/surgebinding don't)

Spoiler

tskyeguye

From Rysn's observations in the epilogue, it seems like she has a lot of the same aspects of a Fifth Heightening/Returned at the least. Is this because her Dawnshard is particularly connected to Endowment or because the effects of a certain level of Investment result in similar effects?

Brandon Sanderson

The latter.

Skrimyt

Interesting. So are actively Surgebinding Radiants or metal-burning Allomancers just not Invested enough to gain those passive effects, or do they not experience perfect pitch/color/etc. because their Investiture is just not as tightly bound to their Spiritweb as Endowment's Breaths or a Dawnshard would be?

Brandon Sanderson

Be aware that the two groups you mention don't generally hold much Investiture themselves, at least not in large quantities over time. More in Surgebinding. Almost none in Allomancy.

But RAFO to specifics.

Dawnshard Annotations Reddit Q&A (Nov. 6, 2020)

Also Quantus, when you said 

7 hours ago, Quantus said:

We've seen people Ascend from overuse of Metallic Arts (Atium) without gaining other Heightening effects. 

Were you referring to this?

Spoiler

Argent

Can somebody travel to the Spiritual Realm, the same as the Cognitive?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it's a very different experience. It is possible… You may have seen people do it...

Argent

As in you're not sure, or you're being obnoxiously vague?

Brandon Sanderson

No...

Questioner #1

As in, you probably have but he's having trouble remembering it.

Brandon Sanderson

No no no... For instance, Elend burning atium and duralumin pulled most of him into the Spiritual Realm.

Argent

Oh, that's what happens there.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. He kind of got yanked into- You also have seen people Ascend with the powers and dip into the Spiritual Realm for a little bit.

Argent

So, Vin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. But they could be on both, or either, or both at the same time. But you have seen Vin stick into the Spiritual Realm. And it happened to Sazed/Harmony...

Questioner #2

Oh! So is that where the gods live? Kinda?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the bulk of the Shard's energy of being is contained in the Spiritual Realm, yes. Except for one notable exception!

Questioner #2

The <mists? mistwraith?>?

Brandon Sanderson

No.

Footnote: We now know that the "one notable exception" Brandon refers to at the end is the Dor, which is mostly contained in the Cognitive Realm.
Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

Because I read that as Elend peeked into the spiritual realm via duralumin/atium, and other people have seen the SR via ascending.