Are we allowed to discuss the Lost Metal prologue?

Necessary Eagle

I came here to join the discussion that was surely happening about the released prologue, and I surprised to see there wasn't one. Am I looking in the wrong forum? Are we not supposed to talk about it yet because Spoilers? Or is the Shard just going through a real slow couple of days?

18 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

I came here to join the discussion that was surely happening about the released prologue, and I surprised to see there wasn't one. Am I looking in the wrong forum? Are we not supposed to talk about it yet because Spoilers? Or is the Shard just going through a real slow couple of days?

I’m pretty sure you can discuss it if you put it under a spoiler though I’m not sure…

And the Shard is really going through a slow period, yes

w&w4 spoilers

Spoiler

There’s also not that much to discuss 

We could talk about it here...

Lost Metal Spoiler

Spoiler

The prologue didn't really spoil anything except for itself, but it was still so good. TBH I almost cried at the end when Wayne's mom died.

It definitely needs polishing, but the concept is there and gives so much insight into Wayne's character.

I know this probably wouldn't work out in the timeline, but it would have been cool/ironic if Wayne's mom had told him a story about Wax.

11 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I’m pretty sure you can discuss it if you put it under a spoiler though I’m not sure…

And the Shard is really going through a slow period, yes

w&w4 spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

There’s also not that much to discuss 

Spoiler

What?

• Allomancer Jak was active twenty years before Era 2
  • the Terris stuff in Wayne comes from his father's side
  • There are Terris mine workers in the Roughs

18 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:
  Hide contents

What?

Spoiler

Like I said-not that much

its interesting stuff but it’s hard to discuss since you covered it all right there

2 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:
  Hide contents

its interesting stuff but it’s hard to discuss since you covered it all right there

Spoiler

The Allomancer Jak timeline is the big one. He’s been active for more than 20 years pre-AoL. Long enough that he’s not ‘young’ when Ma tells the story. There’s something off with his timeline - and we already know he knows more than he should. His stories hint at too many secrets.

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:
  Hide contents

The Allomancer Jak timeline is the big one. He’s been active for more than 20 years pre-AoL. Long enough that he’s not ‘young’ when Ma tells the story. There’s something off with his timeline - and we already know he knows more than he should. His stories hint at too many secrets.

Spoiler

OK, playing the devil's advocate here.

How sure are we that the Jak writing for the broadsheets is "Allomancer Jak" of legends? Is it possible that he took the name of a legendary figure? In fact, is his name really "Jak"?

21 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:
  Hide contents

How sure are we that the Jak writing for the broadsheets is "Allomancer Jak" of legends? Is it possible that he took the name of a legendary figure? In fact, is his name really "Jak"?

Spoiler

We don’t. I actually think the Jak story is the most important part of the prologue. Note that Jak is known to be a tineye, but Ma describes him as a Mistborn.

12 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:
  Hide contents

We don’t. I actually think the Jak story is the most important part of the prologue. Note that Jak is known to be a tineye, but Ma describes him as a Mistborn.

Spoiler

A lot of other things seem weird in the story too: like the bad guy turning into a Mesa :)

I assume Ma made the entire story up including the fact he was a Mistborn, which would lower his age in AOL since he could have gained fame quickly while young

6 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Why would a Terrisman work in a mine? And why would the Terris leave his family destitute?

12 hours ago, Oltux72 said:
  Hide contents

What?

Spoiler

On your first and third points I am just as puzzled as you, but we did know that Wayne's father was a Terrisman and a Feruchemist. I don't know the specific citation, but off a hunch I think he mentions it somewhere in BoM.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:39 AM, Oltux72 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

The Dread Pirate Jakberts

8 hours ago, Andy92 said:
  Hide contents

“Why’s it always three in stories, ma?” Wayne asked. “Three bandits. Three guns. Three mines.”

…a third Shard on Scadrial? :ph34r:

Spoiler

It's confirmed there's currently on Ruin and Preservation there, for now.

Edited by mathiau

whoops, started a thread and then forgot to check in on it for nearly a week.

But yeah, the points that I was going to to mention have already been, well, mentioned:

Spoiler

the River Human and Jak's weird age thing.

So I'll just let out a joyful screech of anticipation and leave it at that.

On 26.7.2021 at 2:25 AM, king of nowhere said:
  Hide contents

Jak must be quite old, if he was famous already 20 years before the current time. He must be close to retiring.

Spoiler

Not necessarily that old. Billy the Kid died at 21 and Jesse James became famous/notorious in his mid-twenties. As long as the press popularized such exploits, it didn't take long to become a celebrity. Jak could be only a few years older than Wax. 

BTW, if Wayne's dad was a Ferring, it is rather odd that he hadn't been able to find a better employment. Did he have a relatively useless metal? And what would have motivated not one, but two Terrismen to move into such a hellhole anyway? 

At least, Sanderson has a 11-year-old Wayne doing some work. It was so weird  in the otherwise grimdark first Mistborn series with all the slavery, rape and murder when suddenly Vin could pass as "too young for the mills" at 16, ditto Spook being "too young for the mines" at 14, when a casual look at certain 19th century literature and history shows that the "too young" age  for such work was about 7.

A very nice tidbit anyway. 

Edited by Isilel