0:55 on the new weekly update (July 19 2021)

Regent

Nobody:
Brandon: says he's been working on movie stuff so casually

Probably shouldn't get too excited as nothing is confirmed yet...but we all know we're gonna end up discussing it anyway so I might as well start.

Honestly, I don't have much to say. It's probably about Wheel of Time or he's working on movie deals for some books (if that's the case I'm really hoping it's Mistborn, Emperor's Soul, or Skyward. I can see those work pretty well as movies)

What do you guys think?

Here's the video if you guys haven't seen it yet (skip to 0:55) 

Edited by caramel_

I imagine it is casual at the moment. Like a couple Zoom calls plus what we know he's doing (i.e. the Mistborn script).

Something of note when you do a weekly update, almost never amounts to anything substantial for fans (it's still good, because it means options monies for Brandon)

Either Mistborn or Skyward calls I'd guess.

Skyward was purchased by Universal Television last year I believe, and doing something lower risk like that may help Brandon get some experience (and a little more clout in Hollywood) before moving onto something as demanding and precious as a Cosmere product. However, Skyward may end up like Legion - there's a comic book trilogy also called Skyward that Sony bought the rights to in 2018. Depending which gets out of the gate first, the other one may be screwed over. (That being said, the Skyward comic trilogy is a blast and I highly recommend it.) Add to that the fact that the rights were just bought, and these things take time, it might be a while yet.

Mistborn has the treatment, is a complete series, and could be pretty trendy right now with The Witcher, The Wheel of Time, and Shadow & Bone all overlapping. Add to that a solid release date that either satisfies fans until a new book comes out (2023) or has the movies coincide with Era 3 release dates (2025), and you've got a nice tie-in that does what Martin and Game of Thrones didn't/couldn't do. 

Overall, Mistborn is the more likely of the two, but both are high possibilities IMO. Unless Sanderson throws us a curveball though, I don't expect we'll hear anything about this until around the State of the Sanderson at the earliest.

A few weeks ago in an update (the June 28 Weekly Update) Brandon did mention outlining the rest of the year with "some exciting things," and I can definitely see working on a television/movie treatment for WoA as exciting for Brandon, especially if things look like they're going forward. (Especially since as far as we know, the rest of Brandon's year post-TLM's first draft consists of revisions for the book along with writing the first draft of Skyward 4.)

Edited by Use the Falchion

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

However, Skyward may end up like Legion - there's a comic book trilogy also called Skyward that Sony bought the rights to in 2018. 

Wait what happened to Legion?

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

58 minutes ago, caramel_ said:

Wait what happened to Legion?

IIRC, Legion was in talks to get a television show, but the superhero show of the same name (also featuring a character with multiple personalities/alters in his head) came out first, killing any chances of Leeds getting a show at the time. As it stands, Legion is apparently owned by Cineflix Media (or something around that name) but nothing's been down with the rights yet. 

The graphic novel Skyward has a female protagonist, a relation to earth, and a sci-fi setting. While the story, characters, and overall setting are vastly different, I think all people will only see a woman leading the story, a sci-fi setting, and the same name, and make a poor judgment call that neither property deserves. Sure, our Skyward can change its name to something like Cytoverse and then do the book titles next (i.e. movie 1 is Cytoverse, movie 2 is Cytoverse: Starsight, and so on), but who knows how that would be received. 

EDIT: The closest WoB I could find at the moment:

Subterranean Press Interview (Oct. 29, 2018)
#46 Share  Copy

Gwenda Bond

Is it really the end? Could you ever potentially come back to Legion?

Brandon Sanderson

I'd like to do more with Legion—though it's likely to be in the form of other media. We have a television show in the works, and I've toyed with doing some original audio stories with Stephen in the lead. (Though the Marvel show Legion probably means I'll need to change the name of mine if we do get the show off the ground.)

EDIT 2: FOUND IT!

MisCon 2018 (May 26, 2018)

Questioner

Any updates on movies?

Brandon Sanderson

So... Hollywood is Hollywood, right? We've sold Mistborn three times now to three different groups. We've sold Legion twice.

So here's how we stand right now: the Steelheart books are still owned by Fox. Sean Levy's company, he did the Night at the Museum films, but their option lapses in July, on July 1st. They've renewed the option multiple times, to the fact that this is their last option month, and we haven't seen a screenplay. Which is not a good sign. So, I would not hold my breath that, in a month, they're going to greenlight a movie. They had a screenplay, they discarded a screenplay, they have not commissioned another screenplay. They have one month left. They could just come out and be like, "Here's a bunch of money, Brandon!" They're not gonna do that. It'll lapse in a month, most likely.

Legion has been recently purchased a couple of weeks ago. Couple months ago, actually, but by a place called Cineflix, in Canada. Legion was really hot for a while. Then Marvel made a TV show called Legion, and all the interest dried up. And then the Marvel show just kind of went away; I don't think they're doing it any more. And now suddenly everyone wants to buy Legion again... If they make a TV show, they would change the name. The Legion collection is coming out in the fall, and we still have Legion on the title, but it's called The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds as a subtitle.

Edited by Use the Falchion