Enough with Skyward

Nox88

Uh-- Sanderson hasn't been on this site for a while. 

And last I checked the Cosmere is his main focus. Sure he's writing noncosmere stuff but he mainly does that because he needs to take a break inbetween writing Cosmere books.

4 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Hehe you're on the wrong site, my guy. Sanderson hasn't been here in... what, eight years now?

Five

If Brandon feels it's neccesarry I will do my best to not complain too loudly.

I won't like it but I won't complain.

I get this kind of sentiment for George RR Martin and Patrick Rothfuss. But, Brandon puts out Cosmere content on a pretty regular basis, he's much better than the aforementioned authors in that regard. For anyone who loves reading, it's wise to have a few authors like Brandon in your rotation that put out books on a yearly basis to make waiting for books that take multiple years bearable. 

Word, makes sense, but I start to get desperate between releases. I mean he's no Rothfuss by any means, but I need my fix. Also how do people feel about Lift? I heard she got a lot of hate, but she's one of my favorite characters.

I feel ya. The wait between Cosmere books can be a pain in the ass, but I think it's also great because it gives me the chance to catch up with the Cosmere or branch out and read other books while waiting for the newest thing. Tbh if we got Cosmere every year I probably wouldn't read anything else.

Edited by caramel_

I guess it comes back to me thinking that really, no cosmere books would come out any faster in this hypothetical world. I think he may eventually just have some YA cosmere stuff that feels different enough in practice that it's still rejuvenating to work on, so he can be refreshed for Stormlights. But right now those don't exist yet.

14 hours ago, Chaos said:

I guess it comes back to me thinking that really, no cosmere books would come out any faster in this hypothetical world. I think he may eventually just have some YA cosmere stuff that feels different enough in practice that it's still rejuvenating to work on, so he can be refreshed for Stormlights. But right now those don't exist yet.

Asking Brandon not to do side projects is like asking the High Storms not to blow.

Even if we got them faster they might not be as good because he'd be burnt out and I think the time working on other projects allows him to experiment and improve aspects of his writing. I think his time spent writing the Wheel of Time, the challenge of writing someone else's established characters and working with Harriet as an editor really helped him as a writer. Not that he wasn't good before, but I think that experience was valuable for him as an artist. I wouldn't want him to finish anyone else's books again, but if he wants to do other stuff that's cool. 

The OP isn't wrong. I doubt he'll finish the Cosmere saga. With both his Cosmere and non-Comsere works he tends to expand on what he originally thought he'd write. Brandon "I accidently wrote an entire book" Sanderson. MB Era 2 wasn't even going to exist then it was 1 book,  then 3, now 4. Skyward is not only a book, but 4 books and here's a ton of novellas. Reckoners is done, maybe a novella, actually I wrote so many novellas it's a full novel. 

I've limited my expectations to SA 5 and W&W 4 and that feels good. I can't be mad about it, he's the most open and honest major author I know of as far as what he's working on and the progress he's making on it, why he does the things he does. 

23 hours ago, Nox88 said:

Word, makes sense, but I start to get desperate between releases. I mean he's no Rothfuss by any means, but I need my fix. Also how do people feel about Lift? I heard she got a lot of hate, but she's one of my favorite characters.

Wait there are people who hates Lift? I understand not liking her humour but hating her?

3 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Wait there are people who hates Lift? I understand not liking her humour but hating her?

Yup. Every now and then there's a post on the Stormlight Subreddit about how much the poster either hates Lift and doesn't want to read Edgedancer, or used to hate Lift and now simply tolerates her. I'd say that Lift and Shallan are the most controversial characters in Stormlight at the moment...with Lift being a distant second - but still second! - to Shallan... (Moash is almost universally reviled, so he isn't controversial.)

8 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Yup. Every now and then there's a post on the Stormlight Subreddit about how much the poster either hates Lift and doesn't want to read Edgedancer, or used to hate Lift and now simply tolerates her. I'd say that Lift and Shallan are the most controversial characters in Stormlight at the moment...with Lift being a distant second - but still second! - to Shallan... (Moash is almost universally reviled, so he isn't controversial.)

I've seen more Moash like posts than Lift hate posts, which is to say really not a lot

Edited by mathiau

9 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I've seen more Moash like posts than Lift hate posts, which is to say really not a lot

The one's I've seen for Moash were more of appreciation for his character and worldview than liking him as a character, whereas Lift isn't liked as a character because of how she speaks and her troll nature (which is hilarious to me personally). But it's usually before or during Words of Radiance/Edgedancer when this is common. By the time Oathbringer and Rhythm of War are being read, many people seem to have learned to tolerate Lift. 

1 hour ago, Child of Hodor said:

The OP isn't wrong. I doubt he'll finish the Cosmere saga. With both his Cosmere and non-Comsere works he tends to expand on what he originally thought he'd write. Brandon "I accidently wrote an entire book" Sanderson. MB Era 2 wasn't even going to exist then it was 1 book,  then 3, now 4. Skyward is not only a book, but 4 books and here's a ton of novellas. Reckoners is done, maybe a novella, actually I wrote so many novellas it's a full novel. 

I guess it depends on what you mean with "finish". I am still positive that there will be the planned 10 SA books. And the same with the planned Mistborn books, even though it will be quite some time till we get to read them. But all in all, Brandon Sanderson is still young and if fate is willing, also has lots of time to get the stories done the way he wants to. Compared to fans of George R.R. Martin, we got it easy. ^_^

Also, I really don't mind the non-Cosmere books, since I enjoy those too. But I can understand that readers who don't feel that way might be annoyed with every new book that doesn't add to the Cosmere. Still it feels like unjustly complaining when it's pretty openly communicated that the book after is a Cosmere book again. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

I've limited my expectations to SA 5 and W&W 4 and that feels good. I can't be mad about it, he's the most open and honest major author I know of as far as what he's working on and the progress he's making on it, why he does the things he does. 

You think that's all the Cosmere he will get done in 25 years?

• 7 months later...

I was just reading through and saw this

On 7/21/2021 at 6:25 AM, Child of Hodor said:

In light of recent announcements this is funnier than I can say.

• 3 weeks later...