Feruchemy Works on Roshar!

Just now, LewsTherinTelescope said:

I'd guess it's specifically because it's dampened, and because there's the Intent of applying it. Kinda overwhelming it. If they were both even, I could see it either being repelled or just being assigned weakly, or even just being annihilated (destructive interference that cancels to zero is theoretically how the anti-Light + Light annihilation happens, after all), but can't see it being nullified and still existing. 

Fair enough. It was a bit of an off-the-wall hypothesis, after all.

On 19/07/2021 at 5:32 PM, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Tbf if they work out Soulcasting antimatter they're probably gonna destroy the entire planet the very first time they do it, when they expect the explosions to be as mild as anti-Light and they are not :lol:

Then don't need to go that far, they just have to figure how soulcast things into uranium.

Also, the question of the power of anti-matter explosion is a hard one. Antimatter-matter annihilation creates a lot of gamma rays and a bit of neutrinos, the neutrinos are pure losses for the explosion but there shoudn't be a lot of them. The part that will create the explosion will be the gamma rays and the will do so in two steps, the first is ionising the air so it becomes a plasma opaque to gamma rays, once the plasma is opaque the following gamma rays will push the plasma and that is what creates the explosion, plasma pushed by light. It will be very hot but I have no idea how big it will be.

22 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

I think that'd just result in it staying Voidlight, since Brandon's said it's probably just dampened in the vacuum, not blank.

Anyway it's not like Rosharans can create actual vacuum, and neither can we.

7 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Also, the question of the power of anti-matter explosion is a hard one. Antimatter-matter annihilation creates a lot of gamma rays and a bit of neutrinos, the neutrinos are pure losses for the explosion but there shoudn't be a lot of them. The part that will create the explosion will be the gamma rays and the will do so in two steps, the first is ionising the air so it becomes a plasma opaque to gamma rays, once the plasma is opaque the following gamma rays will push the plasma and that is what creates the explosion, plasma pushed by light. It will be very hot but I have no idea how big it will be.

Main thing I know on it is the "one half-gram matter plus one half-gram antimatter would hypothetically be significantly larger than the Hiroshima atom bomb" thing, but I don't know any of the physics to say how realistic the odds of any particular large explosion would be. Was mostly making a joke about how anti-Light annihilation seems to be wayyyyy weaker and if they ever make antimatter in (relative) large quantities expecting it to turn out similarly weak, they're screwed, lol.

1 minute ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Main thing I know on it is the "one half-gram matter plus one half-gram antimatter would hypothetically be significantly larger than the Hiroshima atom bomb" thing, but I don't know any of the physics to say how realistic the odds of any particular large explosion would be.

The energy liberated by the reaction of one half-gram matter plus one half-gram antimatter would be 21,5 kilotons of TNT (90 pentajoules), Hiroshima was 15 kilotons and Nagazaki was 20 kilotons. Assuming I'm wrong about antimatter explosion being smaller for the same amount of energy, it should still be at best 13% bigger than the Hiroshima explosion. Whoever told you that was misleading you, probably on purpose.

Was mostly making a joke about how anti-Light annihilation seems to be wayyyyy weaker and if they ever make antimatter in (relative) large quantities expecting it to turn out similarly weak, they're screwed, lol.

That they certainly are.

7 minutes ago, mathiau said:

The energy liberated by the reaction of one half-gram matter plus one half-gram antimatter would be 21,5 kilotons of TNT (90 pentajoules), Hiroshima was 15 kilotons and Nagazaki was 20 kilotons. Assuming I'm wrong about antimatter explosion being smaller for the same amount of energy, it should still be at best 13% bigger than the Hiroshima explosion. Whoever told you that was misleading you, probably on purpose.

Unless I'm doing the math wrong, wouldn't 21.5 be around 45% more than 15?

6 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Unless I'm doing the math wrong, wouldn't 21.5 be around 45% more than 15?

Yes, 21.5 is about 45% more than 15, so you'll get a 45% bigger volume, which will translate to a 13% increased radius.

Edited by mathiau

On 7/21/2021 at 8:19 AM, Jondesu said:

This was the Feruchemist (reportedly) with a pet chicken (Aviar), so something may have been stolen from him with Hemalurgy.

Woah, interesting theory Jondesu -- I like it. Although I feel like it would be logistically complicated to get Hemalurgic powers in this situation (doesn't the metal have to go through both the victim and the prospective Hemalurgist at the same time? Maybe Kelsier + the Ghostbloods changed/streamlined the process-- that would be terrifying), as they would have to position everyone perfectly in a potentially crowded, chaotic hallway. Not impossible for the Ghostbloods, of course, but still a complicated process.

Even though we don't have much evidence that this was a Hemalurgic operation, I think it's a really cool (and really dangerous) concept to explore. Can you get Hemalurgic powers from a Feruchemist? If not, and Hemalurgy is at play here, could the man have been a Twinborn, depending on when Stormlight takes place on a Scadrian timeline?

Sorry haha, I just thought that the theory was really cool. 

...also should I tag this with Mistborn spoilers or are we good? 

7 minutes ago, Daughter of Tanavast said:

Woah, interesting theory Jondesu -- I like it. Although I feel like it would be logistically complicated to get Hemalurgic powers in this situation (doesn't the metal have to go through both the victim and the prospective Hemalurgist at the same time?

No, it's just gives you the most power that way

7 minutes ago, Daughter of Tanavast said:

Can you get Hemalurgic powers from a Feruchemist?

Yes

8 minutes ago, Daughter of Tanavast said:

If not, and Hemalurgy is at play here, could the man have been a Twinborn, depending on when Stormlight takes place on a Scadrian timeline?

SA5 is about 5-10 years before Era 2

8 minutes ago, Daughter of Tanavast said:

...also should I tag this with Mistborn spoilers or are we good? 

This is a cosmere forum so it's fine

7 minutes ago, Frustration said:

No, it's just gives you the most power that way

Yes

SA5 is about 5-10 years before Era 2

This is a cosmere forum so it's fine

Thanks Frustration, that was great. Anyway, yeah, I think that it would be interesting to see Hemalurgy running around on Roshar. Problematic, but interesting.