How do you do, fellow Khrisses?

What's GucciYokska?

My name is Silver. My job title is Ridgerunner. Here I am in the BrandoFandom, once again proving the validity of nominative determinism.

When I'm not thruhiking or working in the outdoors, I'm an attorney - at turn corporate law (when I remember that money exists) or human rights law (when I remember that souls are a thing a person can have). I am also a blacksmith, a cyclotourist, and a bad writer of bad stories that are bad!

If you want to find me, I'll be in the Litchfield Hills and southern Berkshires all summer, watching over the Appalachian Trail... and, given half the opportunity, ranting about the Dawnshards more than storming Tanavast.

-silver

Hi silver-the-thruhiker, welcome to the shard! :)

Once upon a time I hiked through southern Scotland and it was the greatest vacation I ever had. I always dreamed of doing more of that kind but it never amounted to much. But I still get stary eyes when I talk to ppl about their experiences out there. In another forum I am somewhat active, one user is on the CDT right now. ^_^

I will get to hiking again, but I'll have to start slow. I am massively out of shape for big trips and I have two little ones now, who will have to be eased into it. I hope to find the time next year to visit my aunt who knows the best trails in Austria like the back of her hand. She used to be our guide whenever we came around for over 30 years now.

Anyway, you're living the dream! :D If I ever manage to get to the Appalachian Trail or whereever you might be then, I'll be sure to look you up and rant with you! :)

On 7/17/2021 at 8:34 AM, Marukka said:

I will get to hiking again, but I'll have to start slow. I am massively out of shape for big trips and I have two little ones now, who will have to be eased into it.

The best advice I can possibly give to any hiker is to START SLOW! If I had a nickle for the number of Marathon Bros that I met on the Appalachian Trail, who showed off all the first week and so were badly injured by the second, I could afford to go to space on my own private rocket ship. (I wouldn't - but, I could!) Starting fast is never good. Listen to your body, enjoy nature, eat more than you think you need to, and you'll get where you're going - and you'll get better at the getting-there part, every single day.

For what it's worth, when I started my first thruhike I had never been backpacking in my life. I had been hiking exactly twice - each time for just an afternoon, and each time it took me to the edge of my own dang annihilation. I had also just recovered from bilateral knee sugeries. And three years of uninterrupted immobility o/a/o law school. Also I was approximately the size and shape of a Snorlax that hadn't shaved in wayyy too long. And yet, somehow, I managed to keep hiking for the better part of two years. (And would have gone longer if it wasn't for la peste). I'm now kind of good at hiking, and on most days I'm pretty okay with how I look in the mirror (which is decidedly new for me). Also I met a hiker on Te Araroa who made me read The Final Empire, and, well, here I am :)

Also, while I haven't had kids yet, I've thruhiked with quite a few families. It sure has it's challenges but it can indeed be done! Now I'm like  "wait I never really wanted kids but NOW that I know you can HIKE WITH THEM" omg hiking kids are the best. They grow up so fast out there! It's incredible!

This is why, when Nohadon started talking about long walks, or Dalinar said Dalinar Things about Next Steps, I was like YES, YES, GO OFF KING, GO RIGHT THE HECK OFF.

On 7/17/2021 at 8:34 AM, Marukka said:

In another forum I am somewhat active, one user is on the CDT right now. ^_^

Is is a Mortal Instruments forum, because if so, tell Baguette that I say hi :-)

Hello. Welcome to the Shard! Now you will never be able to leave! *cue evil laugh. :D

On 7/17/2021 at 8:22 AM, silver-the-thruhiker said:

If you want to find me, I'll be in the Litchfield Hills and southern Berkshires all summer, watching over the Appalachian Trail... and, given half the opportunity, ranting about the Dawnshards more than storming Tanavast.

Wow. This sounds so amazing. Can I live your life?

You've been asked your least favourite character, now tell me- What is your most favourite Cosmere book or book series? 

15 hours ago, silver-the-thruhiker said:

The best advice I can possibly give to any hiker is to START SLOW! If I had a nickle for the number of Marathon Bros that I met on the Appalachian Trail, who showed off all the first week and so were badly injured by the second, I could afford to go to space on my own private rocket ship. (I wouldn't - but, I could!) Starting fast is never good. Listen to your body, enjoy nature, eat more than you think you need to, and you'll get where you're going - and you'll get better at the getting-there part, every single day.

Yes, I do know quite a few "hints" already. Or better: still, because I learned a lot while hiking with my family as a kid. My aunt handpicked the tours so that they were never too hard or too long for me. Sometimes she went with my big brother on tours with her usual group (lovingly called "The sprightly pensioners") and despite my brother being at the top of his game, they always lagged quite a bit behind. Those 70 to 90 years olds were storming fit! :D

Being on short hikes with my family was always really great. I always found it much more fun than just visiting a city or any other sort of vacation. Luckily my husband has the same mindset and my big girl loves the outdoors too. When my little one is a bit older, we will definetly start with small tours. For now she likes taking a small walk to a forest nearby, but she gets tired after about 1 hour and wants to go home then. Often very loudly (the usual way of the 2 year old). But all in all she really likes being there. I am positive that I can pass this love for hiking on to them! ^_^

16 hours ago, silver-the-thruhiker said:

Is is a Mortal Instruments forum, because if so, tell Baguette that I say hi :-)

Nope, it's a german videogames forum. Aptly called "The old Maniac Forum" (There is a new forum but it also fits the average age). Maybe those two meet and get to talk about their internet hangouts. :)

On 7/21/2021 at 0:14 AM, Elf_at_heart said:

What is your most favourite Cosmere book or book series? 

I loved Dawnshard. Rysn is one of my favorite characters in the Cosmere. It was such a romp - it was just so fun! - and it was nice to see a character in a magical world who was struggling with nonmagical difficulties that required nonmagical solutions. Plus, Rhuidean Vibes galore. I can't wait for the audiobook to come out.

7 hours ago, silver-the-thruhiker said:

I loved Dawnshard. Rysn is one of my favorite characters in the Cosmere. It was such a romp - it was just so fun! - and it was nice to see a character in a magical world who was struggling with nonmagical difficulties that required nonmagical solutions. Plus, Rhuidean Vibes galore. I can't wait for the audiobook to come out.

Ooh! I haven't read Dawnshard yet, but I'm planning to when they get it out in physcial form.

Your reply makes me more excited to read it! :D