Forbidden to touch

Jondesu

They came from another world, using powers that we have been forbidden to touch. Dangerous powers, of spren and Surges. They destroyed their lands and have come to us begging. —From the Eila Stele

Emphasis mine.

I’m rereading Oathbringer, or really just parts of it, but this stood out to me. Who told the singers they couldn’t use the Surges? Honor?  Cultivation? Odium appears to have come with the humans. And wouldn’t have wanted them to avoid that anyways. Just a curiosity more than anything.

4 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Emphasis mine.

I’m rereading Oathbringer, or really just parts of it, but this stood out to me. Who told the singers they couldn’t use the Surges? Honor?  Cultivation? Odium appears to have come with the humans. And wouldn’t have wanted them to avoid that anyways. Just a curiosity more than anything.

Possibly Adonalsium himself

Pod

You’ve said that you would call Surgebinding, Voidbinding, and fabrials the three magics on Roshar. Would it be more accurate to say that Surgebinding followed and emulated fabrials and/orthe possibility of fabrials or vice versa?

Brandon Sanderson

Vice versa. Fabrials are... generally, Surgebinders first, fabrials second. 

Pod

So you couldn’t have done fabrials when it was just Adonalsium. 

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, before the [Shattering]? *deep in thought mmming*

Pod

Would the spren have still been able to do Surges then?

Brandon Sanderson

I would say... no. No, Adonalsium probably would not have let that happen. You could theoretically do it, if Adonalsium allowed it. 

Pod

He had boundaries against it. 

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. So, I would say no. 

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)