Hey everyone!

Halo

So, I finally decided to join! I have read and loved Brandon's books for a few years now and I really want to talk to other people about the cosmere (and his other worlds). None of my friends and family really read Fantasy books (a shame honestly), so I think that this could be a fantastic opportunity to have these conversations. I have read a few posts on here, but I thought that I should actually join now.

3 hours ago, Halo said:

So, I finally decided to join! I have read and loved Brandon's books for a few years now and I really want to talk to other people about the cosmere (and his other worlds). None of my friends and family really read Fantasy books (a shame honestly), so I think that this could be a fantastic opportunity to have these conversations. I have read a few posts on here, but I thought that I should actually join now.

So I joined like, yesterday, so I really doubt I'm qualified to introduce you, but I thought I'd say hi!

Edited by ashfellfromthesky
grammar are fun

2 hours ago, Marukka said:

Hi Halo, welcome to the shard! :D

There is no better place to discuss all things Cosmere (and non-Cosmere ;)) than here. At least if no one else among your friends and family reads the books. And yes, I know that feeling...

Ah yes, it is a bit frustrating, isn't it?

I'm trying to get them to read the cosmere, but I wasn't succesfull so far. They think that the books are too long and too slow or they are just not interested at all. I recommended Mistborn, which is in my opinion the best starting point for Sanderson, but that didn't help. Any advice?

1 hour ago, ashfellfromthesky said:

So I joined like, yesterday, so I really doubt I'm qualified to introduce you, but I thought I'd say hi!

Hello back to you!

4 minutes ago, Halo said:

Ah yes, it is a bit frustrating, isn't it?

I'm trying to get them to read the cosmere, but I wasn't succesfull so far. They think that the books are too long and too slow or they are just not interested at all. I recommended Mistborn, which is in my opinion the best starting point for Sanderson, but that didn't help. Any advice?

Sadly no. My biggest problem on that front is that the people I can talk to about all kinds of stuff are simply no readers. I mean, they like to read a book now and then, but mostly they prefer other forms of entertainment. My husband is an avid videogamer, my best friend loves movies and so on... I like movies and games as well, but I really love a good book, even if I have to read it 2 or 3 pages at a time because one of the kids needs something. I was actually over the moon when I found the forum. Its just nice to have people "close" who know all about the books and to read about all kinds of theories. ^_^

22 minutes ago, Marukka said:

Sadly no. My biggest problem on that front is that the people I can talk to about all kinds of stuff are simply no readers. I mean, they like to read a book now and then, but mostly they prefer other forms of entertainment. My husband is an avid videogamer, my best friend loves movies and so on... I like movies and games as well, but I really love a good book, even if I have to read it 2 or 3 pages at a time because one of the kids needs something. I was actually over the moon when I found the forum. Its just nice to have people "close" who know all about the books and to read about all kinds of theories. ^_^

I get that. In my immediate environment, my sister is the only person that really likes reading and reads a lot, just not Fantasy. I also enjoy other genres of books, but my favorite one will always be Fantasy (and Sci-Fi). Other forms of entertainment are definitely amazing and I can talk to a lot of people about movies, I just need to fill the hole for books, especially Sanderson ones.

This site is fantastic. I love reading theories, although I mostly could not even tell you if these make sense and are realistic, because my memory is awful. :D The many cosmere books with (sometimes) more than 1000 pages don't make this easier for me. But I generally love to talk all things Sanderson, so we'll see how my experience on here goes!

@Halo @Marukka I totally agree with both of you. I also joined the shard because I loved these books and needed to talk about them but I had no one irl who has read these books, or is interested in fantasy or even reads books at all.

But I am glad that I have introduced my one niece to Cosmere and she loves it. 

On 12.7.2021 at 2:32 AM, Not an Ookla said:

Welcome to the Shard! Who's your least favorite character?

Thanks! :) Sorry for not replying sooner. Life was so stressful these last few days. Anyways, this is such a hard question and I don't have an original answer for this. I obviously hate Moash (like probably most people), but I probably hate Zane even more. I especially dislike Zane, because I feel like he doesn't add much to WoA and could've been left out. In my opinion, it might've benn a better bookmwithout him. 

But the worst might be Straff! It think I actually hate Straff the most. He has no good qualities at all and I feel like there is a no discussion possible here. Moash has at least the potential to be redeemed. (But he was definitely an important person in the books.)
As you can see, I mostly dislike the characters Brandon wants me to dislike. In general, I always like the "good guys" or just find them annoying, but don't actively hate or really dislike them. An example here would be Wayne. He really doesn't click for me and there are many instances where I am annoyed at him, but I also wouldn't say I dislike him. The same thing applies to Shallan.

On 15.7.2021 at 9:12 PM, Aon Tia said:

@Halo @Marukka I totally agree with both of you. I also joined the shard because I loved these books and needed to talk about them but I had no one irl who has read these books, or is interested in fantasy or even reads books at all.

But I am glad that I have introduced my one niece to Cosmere and she loves it. 

That's amazing! We achieve Cosmere world domination one person at a time.