Black Widow

I absolutely loved the Black Widow movie! While it had its flaws (Natasha should have died, like, 7 times after ragdolling so much), it was still pretty fantastic. The attention to detail was incredible, when Yelena randomly breathed on the window of their plane after talking about being able to make her own random choices was perfect. The vest was also pretty cute, especially how it connects back to when she wore it for most of Infinity War. David Harbour (Harbor?) absolutely killed it, he was hilarious. I’m super excited to see more of Yelena, I’m really curious to see how it plays out for her and Hawkeye. I’m also hoping we get to see more of Taskmaster, she wasn’t in the movie for very long. What did you guys think of it?

I really enjoyed it overall. Thought this was gonna be a tough movie for them to pull off in a really meaningful way just because of what we ultimately know about Natasha from Endgame, but I really enjoyed her relationship with Yelena. The joking about the hair flip pose cracked me up lol 

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Taskmaster. That’s a villain I was really looking forward to that just wasn’t in too many meaningful scenes. The way they set up the villain also reminded me a bit of the villain from Ant-Man and the Wasp so the idea felt like a bit of a rehash. An AI enhanced fighting suit programmed to copy moves should have been pretty difficult to actually disarm due to its ability to predict attacks as well as perform them, so if I had a gripe with the movie it would be that. 

I loved this movie so much. I thought it was so well done. I loved Nat’s relationship with Yelena. Scarlett and Florence played them so well. While there aren’t too many movies in this list, Black Widow easily became my favorite superhero movie with a female lead. All the themes and emotional moments really worked for me. Nothing felt really forced (except maybe Alexei’s story about “you know, fathers…” ha ha). Ugh. It was just so good. 

Spoiler

I told my husband that I thought this made her death in Endgame even more sad. They didn’t know still that she had more family! *cries* Then we debated if there would be a credits scene due to the timeline for the movie. I said I wanted it to skip forward to post Endgame and show her “family” mourning her death. Totally nailed it! I was so happy with that credit scene. And not only did it give me what I wanted, but it added that next layer. A place for the story to continue. So excited to see more of Yelena.

Saw it Friday! I really enjoyed the movie, and would put it in the Tier 2 of MCU films (aka the "not perfect, but definitely enjoyable, always rewatchable, and absolutely someone's favorite" tier*). I thought I knew the character dynamics going into this movie, and I'm happy how wrong I was. I also really enjoyed how this movie was Nat's "Winter Soldier" movie for all intents and purposes (and parallels*). This aspect doesn't bother me at all, because both are well done, Nat and Steve are completely different people, and I find that the whole "stripping a person down to their core and their past" is almost always a fun way to do a sequel.  

The movie was also far funnier than I thought it'd be, and that worked out great. Florence killed her role and stole nearly every scene. For future watching, I'll probably put this directly after Civil War as an epilogue to Steve and Nat's journey, or after Black Panther (which in turn would be after Civil War), since the timeline of those three movies seems to be: 

Civil War main movie

Black Panther (one week later)

Black Widow (either before, during, or closely after that one-week jump) 

Civil War Voice Mail Scene.

The post-credit scene will be shown at a later time. 

*Other members of this Tier would be: Thor 1, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Ant-Man, Ant-Man & the Wasp, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, Captain America: The First Avenger. 

*BLACK WIDOW THEMATIC AND SYNOPSIS SPOILER TALK

Spoiler

The synopses of Black Widow and Captain America: The Winter Soldier are incredibly similar: 

A former Avengers member and SHIELD agent finds themselves being hunted by a mysterious masked soldier (who has tragic ties to their past sins and failures), and must go on the run with a character who uses the moniker Black Widow and is far more ambiguous in terms of morality than they are, but cares about the current battle just as deeply - if not more. The two must face the titular character's history and come to realize that the past isn't as dead as they once thought. 

A few more detailed spoilers

Spoiler

Once the masked soldier hunting them is revealed, the titular character decides to save said soldier, righting a wrong from the past. 

At the end, operating bases high in the sky are destroyed, and titular character picks up the pieces and moves forward. 

Other notes: 

Even though they haven't met (yet), I already ship Yelena and Sam Wilson. Sure, it might not be the Cap and Black Widow ship fans originally had, but it would definitely be an interesting one. Besides, if Sam's show and whatnot is going to handle racial themes and issues, why not add an interracial relationship into the mix?

MINOR FATWS SPOILERS BELOW:

Spoiler

Heck, we could even contrast Bucky and Sarah's relationship with Sam and Yelena's. What is it like dating a black man vs a black woman? How is the perception different? What is it like dating a woman who has young children vs a woman who can't have children but has thought about that? Or bringing up the different types of adoption and family dynamics. I think there's a lot of room to explore and bring uncomfortable truths, themes, and stories to life here. 

I saw it Friday - wanted to make sure I caught it in the theater. Loved it. Really good job with her back story. One thing I expected at the end didn't happen:

Spoiler

I thought Nat would actually find her mother's grave - that the bad guy had lied when he said that it was un-marked. It would have been a kind thing to have this happen for her, and she still wouldn't have known her father's name, like she says later in Endgame. But as usual I was wrong.

I would definitely go see it again.

LOL, my only downside of going to the movies these days is not being able to easily eat popcorn! I have 1 more month with these clear aligner-style braces - first thing I'm gonna do once they're finished is stop by the theater and buy a huge bucket of popcorn!!:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.  My wife and I went to see it Sunday night after release in lieu of our normal tacos and movie at home night.  It's got some real brutality to it, but nothing that didn't make sense to me in the universe and locations as they have been established.  I only had a few quibbles in it, but nothing that really impaired my enjoyment of it.  The end of the post credit scene annoyed me a bit though, lol

On 8/5/2021 at 8:45 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Brandon and Dan talk about the good and the bad in Black Widow in their latest episode of Intentionally Blank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3smkfGc1nMw&t=1s

I thought they had some good points even though I seemed to enjoy the movie more than them. I think it was important that Dan pointed out that there indeed may be a difference between men and women’s opinions. As a woman, this movie felt important. Despite Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel coming first, I feel like this is the first female super hero that was truly female centered. Not only was a woman the main character, nearly all the side characters were women as well. And it called out objectification of women in many ways. So while I agree with some of the things that bugged them, I’m glad they acknowledged that for some people it might hit differently. 

• 7 months later...