This is something I just thought of while finishing RoW.

Typically a Darkeye can become a Lighteye when they bond a Shardblade or become a Knight Radiant.

Yet somehow we have had natural born Lighteyes that has continued for just a bit under 4000 years, most likely since the Recreance. 

We also know that Deadeyes only started appearing since the Recreance.

The link between both "races" would seem to be that the eyes were affected since this happened.

We are aware that the sealing of BAM had wide reaching affects on Roshar.

A similar example we observe is how the Parshendi were affected by the sealing of BAM, specifically in my opinion is that their Identity was taken away from them.

Deadeyes also seem to be in a "Identity"-less state like the Parshmen are.

So it feels like something was ripped from the Spiritweb of the spren and imprinted on the humans at the time of unbonding.

This then became a hereditary trait on the few people who unbonded their spren/took the dropped shards and continued to pass it onto their descendant's spirtiwebs. 

TBH I think this might have been very obvious for some people but this just hit me like the stormwall haha.

Edited by The 10 Fools

This is very interesting to me. What you have BAM be? I've heard theories that she was the Sprenspren so trapping her would have messed with the spren and all of their identity. 

Regarding the lighteyes, it seems reasonable that the blue and green eyes are naturally occuring. We also know that using shardblade changes your eye color, probably by rewriting your physical and spiritual DNA. Makes me wonder if the eye color not appearing in our world are from people who got their eye color via Shardblade/Radiantspren.

17 hours ago, DougTheRug said:

This is very interesting to me. What you have BAM be? I've heard theories that she was the Sprenspren so trapping her would have messed with the spren and all of their identity. 

Regarding the lighteyes, it seems reasonable that the blue and green eyes are naturally occuring. We also know that using shardblade changes your eye color, probably by rewriting your physical and spiritual DNA. Makes me wonder if the eye color not appearing in our world are from people who got their eye color via Shardblade/Radiantspren.

BAM seems most like the Stormfather now in the absence of Honor. She provided both access to surges and Voidlight as a spren not a shard.

The main difference between how singers and the Knights Radiant access the surges seems to be how they are Connected. Using Nahel Bonds as our standard, usually you require a spren so that you can access the surges. The ability to access surges outside of this scenario is a direct Connection to a Shard (Odium/Fused or Honnorblades which are Slivers of a Shard).

During the False Desolation, I believe BAM became the conduit for the singers in relation to Odium's Tone on Roshar and Voidbinding. Similarly to the Elantrians, the medium used to Connect with Investiture was changed i.e.(change to the Domain/Land and change in "spren" for the Light/Tone). This would put her in the same category as a fundamental spren of Roshar compared to a Shard invested in the planetary system. We can only imagine what would happen to spren, as they receive energy from highstorms, if the Stormfather were to be sealed away. 

With regards to Lighteyes being hereditary, the coppermind does mention that people with light coloured eyes exist outside of L:ighteyes:

"The defining characteristic of a lighteyes is not merely the actual color of their eyes, but that they have a light and distinguishable color. For example, although grey is not normally considered a bright color, having light grey eyes qualifies one as a lighteyes.[1] Conversely, although green is normally seen as a light color, having deep, dark green eyes that look muddled and is hard to distinguish from brown or black in average light would qualify one as a darkeyes.[3]"

20 hours ago, mathiau said:

My idea was that when a Radiant get to Oath 5 the colour change becomes hereditary

Ok but is that it? Just basing on how each Oath has provided something tangible to the ongoing conflict that the Radiants have to face it does seem a little lackluster?

If that is the case thought, I do wonder if there is a hidden function of being Lighteyed.

1 hour ago, The 10 Fools said:

Ok but is that it? Just basing on how each Oath has provided something tangible to the ongoing conflict that the Radiants have to face it does seem a little lackluster?

If that is the case thought, I do wonder if there is a hidden function of being Lighteyed.

Of course it won't be the only thing that you obtain at Oath 5, but we know people at Oath 4 or close to Oath 4 keep their eyes light without their blade being out so I think it'd be logical that it'd become hereditary at Oath 5.

Also, please don't make double posts if you want to quote two different persons there's a the + button next to Quote