Would a Leecher be able to drain Nightblood faster than it can drain the Leecher?

MistMage

Question

Let's say the Leecher has an insane amount of chromium ingested, would they be able to drain Nightblood quicker than Nightblood could kill them? My guess is yes because theoretically you'd only have to release a certain number of breaths worth of investiture before the metal loses sapience. Unless every bit of investiture Nightblood has drained since it was created has been stored within the sword, at which point I think the Leecher is done for lol. Especially since a certain event in RoW (No spoilers). But I see no indication of that since the sword is always "hungry."

Similarly what would a Nicroburst do to Nightblood? Flaring all of it's Investiture so it uses it in a single burst I feel would kill everything around the sword in a huge radius, possibly planet killing. Kind of a crazy thought.

Edited by MistMage

2 answers to this question

Leechers would have trouble destroying Shardblades

Questioner

If you were a Leecher, could you destroy a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm going to RAFO that for now, let's just say that it would be incredibly difficult if it were possible, and I'm not going to even say if it is. But that kind of power... 

Questioner

Let's just say they were burning duralumin as well.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say that the Investiture in a Shardblade is much greater than your average Allomancer, but... This type of thing is not unheard of in the Cosmere. The larkin, the Leechers, and Nightblood all have a similar sort of thing going on. Destroying a Shardblade would be really hard. And Investiture resists other forms of Investiture, so.

Calamity Austin signing (Feb. 25, 2016)

and they would die before they could do anything to Nightblood (as they/it is much more invested than even Shardblades).

Questioner

What would happen if a Leecher touched Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

*nervous laughter* If a Leecher touched Nightblood the Leecher would be dead. That would not end well.

Questioner

For the Leecher.

Brandon Sanderson

For the Leecher.

Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

Generally the speed at which leecher leeches is dependent on burn rate, and they are simply much slower at this than Nightblood. Also chromium burns relatively fast

Kaymyth

I asked the question about chromium vs a Compounder with both Invested and un-Invested metals in both their stomach and piercings.

Brandon Sanderson

What it boils down to is this:

1) Yes, the piercings will get burned off.

2) The non-Invested metals go before the Invested ones. He said that because Invested metals are harder to affect, it takes a little extra time and effort to get them to burn off. So a Leecher trying to clean out a Compounder would have to get a good grip and hang on for a few seconds.

3) Chromium burns about as quickly as duralumin, so if you're trying to burn off a lot of metals, it is possible to run out of chromium before your target is clean. This would probably only be an issue when dealing with larger pieces (like jewelry) rather than your standard metal-flakes-in-the-stomach deal.

ConQuest 46 (May 22, 2015)

On the nicrosil, that is a good question. I think Nicroburst would not really do anything to Nightblood, as Nicroburst affect only kinetic investiture, whereas Nightblood's effect seems to be inherent to it, i.e. it is a passive one.

8 hours ago, therunner said:

Leechers would have trouble destroying Shardblades

and they would die before they could do anything to Nightblood (as they/it is much more invested than even Shardblades).

Generally the speed at which leecher leeches is dependent on burn rate, and they are simply much slower at this than Nightblood. Also chromium burns relatively fast

On the nicrosil, that is a good question. I think Nicroburst would not really do anything to Nightblood, as Nicroburst affect only kinetic investiture, whereas Nightblood's effect seems to be inherent to it, i.e. it is a passive one.

Thank you that's a very through answer! is the nicroburst affecting only kinetic investiture another WOB?