Universal storage for a feruchemist?

DoctaDajman

Hey all.  I am intrigued by the way nicrosil works still.  I have been led to believe that it is like tin where each seperate piece of nicrosil stores a seperate powers worth of investiture.  If one were a full feruchemist would nothing but nicrosil metal minds allow that feruchemist access to all of their powers?   Or is storing investiture just good for drawing out a power?  

Take iron for instance.  Can you store weight into a piece of nicrosil?  What is the investiture that is making an iron ferring heavier vs lighter?   Could nicrosil only be used to draw out large amounts of weight?   Or am I seeing nicrosil all wrong?   I had read somewhere that allomantic stores could be burnt and stored into nicrosil for future but a new piece would be needed for each metal being burnt.  

On a side note.  If a full feruchemist understood the storage of identity would they be able to tap other ferrings metal minds?   I think it could make for a fun bad guy who is just hunting down and stealing as many metal minds as he can from other ferrings. 

Edit:  I am aware that nicrosil is likely much more expensive than the more basic metals but I like the idea that nicrosil usage could somewhat hide what you are capable of which might offset the pricing difference a bit.

Edited by DoctaDajman

I believe the current consensus is that Nicrosil stores metalborn powers. As in, if you're a nicrosil ferring, and (for example) a chromium misting, you could store the portion of your spiritweb that makes you able to burn chromium Allomantically inside your nicrosilmind, making you unable to burn chromium until you withdrew it from the nicrosilmind.

...This means that giving such a person a Medallion with Unsealed Allomantic Nicrosil inside would allow them to Compound that stored power, multiplying their allomantic strength until they reached... some sort of upper power limit, making them the strongest possible Leecher without brute-forcing it with, say, the Well's power, like the Lord Ruler did for all his allomancy.

I will say again that this is merely a consensus i've seen commonly on the forums, not absolute fact. F-Nicrosil could very well have greater quirks than this (especially for powers from the rest of the Cosmere, but I won't give any examples since this is the Mistborn forum).

Edited by Halyo_Alex
clarity

23 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I believe the current consensus is that Nicrosil stores metalborn powers. As in, if you're a nicrosil ferring, and (for example) a chromium misting, you could store the portion of your spiritweb that makes you able to burn chromium Allomantically inside your nicrosilmind, making you unable to burn chromium until you withdrew it from the nicrosilmind.

...This means that giving such a person a Medallion with Unsealed Allomantic Nicrosil inside would allow them to Compound that stored power, multiplying their allomantic strength until they reached... some sort of upper power limit, making them the strongest possible Leecher without brute-forcing it with, say, the Well's power, like the Lord Ruler did for all his allomancy.

I will say again that this is merely a consensus i've seen commonly on the forums, not absolute fact. F-Nicrosil could very well have greater quirks than this (especially for powers from the rest of the Cosmere, but I won't give any examples since this is the Mistborn forum).

So nicrosil is storing the ability not the power that fuels it?   Does the nicrosil still only store X amount of said ability?  Or if you have an unsealed nicrosil mind can it work indefinitely?  I know we see certain medallions run out of juice but is that simply because in those situations the users can't afford to store those attributes more?  

With the bands it said they were running out quickly.   Is that just because those attributes weren't being replenished at all or was it due to the nicrosil itself running out?  

Just now, DoctaDajman said:

So nicrosil is storing the ability not the power that fuels it?   Does the nicrosil still only store X amount of said ability?  Or if you have an unsealed nicrosil mind can it work indefinitely?  I know we see certain medallions run out of juice but is that simply because in those situations the users can't afford to store those attributes more?  

With the bands it said they were running out quickly.   Is that just because those attributes weren't being replenished at all or was it due to the nicrosil itself running out?  

Brandon has stated previously (in a WoB) that normal nicrosilminds' storage works like a Coppermind, storing discreet things rather than a "reservoir of power" like an ironmind for example.

Note that I said normal nicrosilminds, though. I'm pretty sure that Medallions work differently (for one, they allow any person to tap the nicrosil portion of the Medallion, which isn't normally doable).