Cosmere Video Game Ideas

Brightblood

Hey Friends!

I have been thinking about potential cosmere games and I want to know what people think would be a fun game in the cosmere. I'll go first.

As a huge Metroidvania fan, I think that a Metroidvania-style game set on one of the Eelakin islands (probs patji) would be so fun. Imagine powerups as different Aviar and a bunch of traps, enemies, and other obstacles taken straight from the short story. You could even travel to the other islands (maybe patji is the final island). 

I also think that a full Cosmere MMO is probably inevitable. 

This is just for fun, I think it would be awesome to hear other peoples ideas if they are as crazy as mine.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Harrycrapper said:

I could see an Overwatch-like Mistborn game with various twinborn combinations(no compounders for obvious reasons) in lieu of heroes with specific abilities. 

That sounds awesome! Like based on era 2, maybe like shootouts in the roughs or something. Very cool idea. 

An old-school Bioware-styled game that takes place during the final Desolation(s). Depending on what the players choose to do, they end up in a different Radiant group and have a slightly different story. In this case, it's more like Bioware's MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic. In that game, players can choose the class, and that dictates which story is told. From there, they can make storyline decisions and whatnot. I think that this would be a hybrid of the two - choosing which Order would shape the story path, but the choices along the story would also be more impactful than they apparently are in (most of) SWTOR. 

Meeting the Heralds would also be a major part, as we'd get to know them a little better through the Desolation(s). After the final battle and Taln's death, the Heralds would proclaim that the Desolations are over, and that humanity had won. 

...a post-credit scene would appear later, showing eight of the Heralds departing, with Jezrien staying behind, stating that he would "bear this burden." We see the Heralds drop their swords into the dirt, say their goodbyes to Jezrien, and walk away. 

Gameplay notes:

The Companions would be people of different Orders, ethnicities, and races. 

Getting all five Oaths shouldn't be seen as the main objective, as the game should be perfectly completable with three or so...depending on the Order. However, challenges for completing the game under the "Standard" amount of Oaths may be a fun thing to add. 

Gameplay itself would probably function more like a hack-and-slash or Musou/Warriors style game, where players can feel like gods against normal mooks. However, when Fused and other enemies start appearing, things would get complicated. 

12 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

An old-school Bioware-styled game that takes place during the final Desolation(s).

It sounds like you have thought about this a lot! That sounds like a fantastic idea, I must confess that I haven’t played many old BioWare games, but I have heard that everyone loves SWTOR. I love the ideas with the heralds that would be an amazing little lore tidbit.

I don’t think I would want any cosmere game to follow the plot of a book, more Witcher style. That being said I love the idea of tying scenes or flashbacks into the main continuity. I just hope whatever happens we get something with great gameplay that has little to no continuity errors in plot.

14 minutes ago, Brightblood said:

It sounds like you have thought about this a lot! That sounds like a fantastic idea, I must confess that I haven’t played many old BioWare games, but I have heard that everyone loves SWTOR. I love the ideas with the heralds that would be an amazing little lore tidbit.

I don’t think I would want any cosmere game to follow the plot of a book, more Witcher style. That being said I love the idea of tying scenes or flashbacks into the main continuity. I just hope whatever happens we get something with great gameplay that has little to no continuity errors in plot.

Thanks! I have indeed thought about it a fair bit. Many people find the idea of a Total War Stormlight game appealing, but I've always been a fan of the solo player story-driven experiences rather than the epic battles. As for the lore stuff, it was tough. I didn't want it to be a rehash of the game, but I also wanted the setting to feel like it mattered to both videogame-first people and book-first people. I'm sure we'll get a LOT of information about the first few Desolations in the back 5 Stormlight books anyways, so why not focus on something we probably won't get a lot of, from a different angle?

Edited by Use the Falchion

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Thanks! I have indeed thought about it a fair bit. Many people find the idea of a Total War Stormlight game appealing, but I've always been a fan of the solo player story-driven experiences rather than the epic battles. As for the lore stuff, it was tough. I didn't want it to be a rehash of the game, but I also wanted the setting to feel like it mattered to both videogame-first people and book-first people. I'm sure we'll get a LOT of information about the first few Desolations in the back 5 Stormlight books anyways, so why not focus on something we probably won't get a lot of, from a different angle?

I’m just waiting for book 5 at this point. I have always been a fan of single player story driven games. There is always going to be a part of me that thinks a stormlight tactics game would be amazing, but that may just be the fire emblem mega fan in me. I have been playing through the demon souls remake recently and I can’t help but want a stormlight souls like game.

23 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

An old-school Bioware-styled game that takes place during the final Desolation(s). Depending on what the players choose to do, they end up in a different Radiant group and have a slightly different story. In this case, it's more like Bioware's MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic. In that game, players can choose the class, and that dictates which story is told. From there, they can make storyline decisions and whatnot. I think that this would be a hybrid of the two - choosing which Order would shape the story path, but the choices along the story would also be more impactful than they apparently are in (most of) SWTOR. 

Meeting the Heralds would also be a major part, as we'd get to know them a little better through the Desolation(s). After the final battle and Taln's death, the Heralds would proclaim that the Desolations are over, and that humanity had won. 

...a post-credit scene would appear later, showing eight of the Heralds departing, with Jezrien staying behind, stating that he would "bear this burden." We see the Heralds drop their swords into the dirt, say their goodbyes to Jezrien, and walk away. 

Gameplay notes:

The Companions would be people of different Orders, ethnicities, and races. 

Getting all five Oaths shouldn't be seen as the main objective, as the game should be perfectly completable with three or so...depending on the Order. However, challenges for completing the game under the "Standard" amount of Oaths may be a fun thing to add. 

Gameplay itself would probably function more like a hack-and-slash or Musou/Warriors style game, where players can feel like gods against normal mooks. However, when Fused and other enemies start appearing, things would get complicated. 

I love SWTOR and this would be awesome!

You honestly should send this over to BioWares idea department, I would buy it in a heartbeat

You could also have a storyline where your a Fused and then your storyline is killing Taln in Ahertiem…

On 7/24/2021 at 11:38 AM, Brightblood said:

I’m just waiting for book 5 at this point. I have always been a fan of single player story driven games. There is always going to be a part of me that thinks a stormlight tactics game would be amazing, but that may just be the fire emblem mega fan in me. I have been playing through the demon souls remake recently and I can’t help but want a stormlight souls like game.

Oh an FE-esque game would be great (we have a fair bit of FE fans in the Shard - check out the Three Houses thread in the Entertainment Forum for proof of that!) Stormlight might be the best world for that in terms of group make-up and storyline*, but something about it feels a little off...maybe it's OP nature of most Radiants...but then again, Holy Blood in FE 4 was massively overpowered too...

*I could very well see this being a story about a young person who hears the voices of a Spren during...maybe the Silver Kingdoms, to keep things easy? They set out to warn the nobles, but along the way find signs of the oncoming Desolation and must contend with all sorts of foes. The allies they recruit turn into Squires until their own side-missions and paralogues are finished and they can gain Spren of their own...this could work...

23 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I love SWTOR and this would be awesome!

You honestly should send this over to BioWares idea department, I would buy it in a heartbeat

You could also have a storyline where your a Fused and then your storyline is killing Taln in Ahertiem…

Thank you! And as much as I'd like to send this to Bioware, I may hold off on that until the new Mass Effect and Dragon Age come out, if only to see if they're back to form on their major IPs. (If not, Drew Karpyshyn - lead writer on ME 1 & 2, as well as KOTOR, works at a new startup gaming company called Archetype Entertainment with a lot of other industry veterans. If given the time and resources, they could probably do a very good job with this.) 

The Fused storyline sounds like it'd be really fun DLC! Like a reframing of events in a way.