Fabrial Telephones

Mage

So I'm doing a reread of WoR, and in one of Dalinar's visions he sees one of the Knights Radiant talking to herself. I'm wondering if she is using some sort of communication device to talk to other Radiants. Do we know what she is doing there, or if it is telecommunication, how she is doing it?

If she is somehow communicating remotely with another Radiant, my theory is that it uses a conjoiner that is precise enough to pick up and transmit vibrations, esentially creating a telephone (though you would have to use some fancy aluminum tricks to make yourself able to still walk around). This would be much more practical in combat than a Spanreed.

Let me know what you think is going on in this scene, or if I am totally wrong. Even if I am totally wrong do you think we will see fabrials like this in the future?

48 minutes ago, Mage said:

So I'm doing a reread of WoR, and in one of Dalinar's visions he sees one of the Knights Radiant talking to herself.

I always assumed that she was talking to her spren. Modern fabrials are a new thing,  so I doubt it's anything technological. 

22 hours ago, ScadrianTank said:

I always assumed that she was talking to her spren. Modern fabrials are a new thing,  so I doubt it's anything technological. 

Haha. *facepalm* I should have thought of that. You guys are probably right.

But even though they haven’t been invented do you think this is a possibility?

1 hour ago, Mage said:

Most likely, I think. Maybe a conjoiner made out of musicspren or something like that. There is a chance that Roshar might be stuck with Spanreeds for some time, but fabrials should allow for some form of voice communication.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 9:15 AM, Mage said:

Haha. *facepalm* I should have thought of that. You guys are probably right.

Pretty sure Jushu's discovery of how aluminum affects conjoiners in Dawnshard removes at least 80% of the hurdles Rosharans have to clear to unlock mobile phones. The only reason I can think of offhand as to why they don't already have stationary telephones in production is that they don't have enough ardents studying sound/vibration and playing with oscillating cones.