Radiant Spren Appearance in the Physical Realm

MistMage

In regards to how the radiant Spren look in the Physical Realm, I noticed some pairings where the spren of different orders will manifest in the same way.

Honorspren and Inkspren: Both appear in the Physical Realm as basically short versions of themselves. Interestingly both tend to carry weapons that are a part of their form.

Cryptics and Cultivationspren: Both essentially manifest their heads in the Physical Realm.

Highspren and Mistspren: I group these two because I think they both look similar in terms of very abstract representations of their cognitive forms. High spren appear as a tear in space and mist spren are like the reflecting light, to me that is a similar thematic appearance at least.

The last three I can't really group properly as they share physical characteristics with the others. Peak spren like cryptics can't really become invisible but just kind of merge with physical material around them. Ashspren like Cultivationspren move by spreading across the space, one uses vines that disintegrate as they move, the other leaves cracks in the material that then repair themselves. Lightspren I'm not really sure have anything in common with the rest.

Anyway these are just some musings I don't think it means anything, let me know if you would pair them differently.

Good thoughts. I wonder if these higher lvl spren could manifest safely at say the fifth ideal. The closer they are tied to a human the more they can manifest in the physical realm. Remember Syl before Kaladin swears the second ideal. At the third ideal they can manifest as weapons. What Ishar seemed to be doing is trying to get around the need to bond. Interesting observations though. I wonder if Brandon will pick up this thread. Sometimes I feel like he sets things down and doesn't get back to them.

3 hours ago, Master Silver said:

Good thoughts. I wonder if these higher lvl spren could manifest safely at say the fifth ideal. The closer they are tied to a human the more they can manifest in the physical realm. Remember Syl before Kaladin swears the second ideal. At the third ideal they can manifest as weapons. What Ishar seemed to be doing is trying to get around the need to bond. Interesting observations though. I wonder if Brandon will pick up this thread. Sometimes I feel like he sets things down and doesn't get back to them.

Oh so do you think that the Spren can manifest their full forms physically after their Radiant swears the 5th ideal? That would be interesting though I don't see the point of it, manifesting as a blade after the 3rd ideal seems to have a very specific battle purpose, if they just gained a physical body at the 5th ideal all it would do is make them an easy target, especially with the Anti-Stormlight weapons we have hanging around after RoW. And the Radiant would lose access to the shardblade. I never thought of the spren's "manifestation" in the physical realm as really changing after each ideal is sworn. It seemed like a mental change with Syl having more complex thoughts and feelings and Pattern understanding humans better. That's always the trade off I thought, Radiants get access to surges and spren get to feel emotions and understand life.

Yeah, I just remember that sometimes when something important is happening the spren manifest at a regular human size. In terms of the anti-void light and them appearing in the physical realm. Would spren still be in danger in their blade form? Could they possibly get a tiny set of plate upon swearing the fourth ideal. Or just manifest as themselves but made out of shard blade material. If Syl can turn into a sword or shield, surely she can turn into herself (but as a shard blade)

On 7/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, Master Silver said:

Or just manifest as themselves but made out of shard blade material. If Syl can turn into a sword or shield, surely she can turn into herself (but as a shard blade)

I'm now visualizing the absolutely hilarious mental image of Kal bonking someone with a little statue Syl. :D