Oathpact and morality

Elf

So, in RoW, Dalinar was basically trying to master his powers as a bondsmith, so that he could renew the oathpact, right? I don't know if they'll still do it after the whole champion thing, but my question is- if they were to renew it would they again bind the heralds to the oathpact? If so, wouldn't it be like downright cruel? I mean, these heralds spent ages being tortured to keep the Fused on Braize, untill they finally snapped. And they spent such a long time dying and then being reborn over and over again. If its voluntary, I can't imagine that they would want to go back to that. Plus, I don't they they are in any sort of mental state to make that desicion on their own. And if its involuntary, that's really evil and not so moral. Can someone please clear this up for me?

Renewing the Oathpact now that the Everstorm exists accomplishes little, if nothing at all. The Fused that die are no longer returned to Braize, and so are beyond the pact's reach, and will not stop being reborn. All it would realistically accomplish is subjecting about 10 people to torture on Braize again. Maybe it would stop new Fused from leaving, but... is that even useful now?

4 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Renewing the Oathpact now that the Everstorm exists accomplishes little, if nothing at all. The Fused that die are no longer returned to Braize, and so are beyond the pact's reach, and will not stop being reborn. All it would realistically accomplish is subjecting about 10 people to torture on Braize again. Maybe it would stop new Fused from leaving, but... is that even useful now?

Ok. Wow. I forgot a lot of things. Why aren't the Fused that die no longer returned to Braize anymore? Where do they go?

Actually, I think it was that when they die their soul returns to Braize and during the next Everstorm, they come back in the bodies of the singers who are sacrificed for them. The Everstorm is like a portal. So, if the oathpact was renewed, the Everstorm wouldn't matter, would it? Because they would keep the Fused bound to Braize even if the portal of the Everstorm is still there. Think of it like there being a tunnel that you go through to get somewhere, but then there's a big wall in front of that tunnel, which you cannot pass. The tunnel being the Everstorm; the wall being the people bound in the oathpact; and you being the Fused. I could, of course, be completely wrong. If I am, please someone tell me. But my question is who would even volunteer to being bound on Braize? If the Heralds volunteer, they don't seem exactly like they are in the right mental state to take up that sort of desicion. Will they force it on the Heralds, or will an entirely new group take it up?

Edited by Elf_at_heart

You might rebind them to the oathpact, but you could not keep them on Braize. So there is no point in doing this to anybody not volunteering for the job. In fact, it would be outright dangerous. You do not want to give a new herald a reason to switch sides.

6 hours ago, Elf_at_heart said:

Ok. Wow. I forgot a lot of things. Why aren't the Fused that die no longer returned to Braize anymore? Where do they go?

Basically the Everstorm catches their souls on the way back to Braize and throws them back to Roshar so they can just go and find a new Listener body to inhabit when the Everstorm passes over the continent.

...I may be oversimplifying, people correct me if i've mist (...ok y'know what I'm leaving that typo in) anything important to that explanation. ...I probably missed something important.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:27 AM, Halyo_Alex said:

The Fused that die are no longer returned to Braize

Nah, Lezian mentions being on Braize between resurrections.

“Where am I?” the Pursuer asked instead. “Why have I been reborn so quickly? I was on Braize for barely a day before I felt the pull.”

On 7/5/2021 at 11:26 AM, Elf_at_heart said:

The Everstorm is like a portal. So, if the oathpact was renewed, the Everstorm wouldn't matter, would it? Because they would keep the Fused bound to Braize even if the portal of the Everstorm is still there.

It's worth noting that Odium's forces seem to have established a backdoor through the Oathpact, according to Pattern, though it's unclear if a full strength Oathpact would still work to block it where the weakened one failed or not. (This is of course also demonstrated by the fact Ulim was on Roshar.)

“I wanted to be in the other realm. See that part of our world. And I knew danger was coming. All spren could sense it. The Oathpact was no longer working correctly. Voidspren were sneaking onto Roshar, using some kind of back door. Two halves cannot fight this enemy. We need to be whole.”

Edited by LewsTherinTelescope

40 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Nah, Lezian mentions being on Braize between resurrections.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

40 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

It's worth noting that Odium's forces seem to have established a backdoor through the Oathpact, according to Pattern, though it's unclear if a full strength Oathpact would still work to block it where the weakened one failed or not. (This is of course also demonstrated by the fact Ulim was on Roshar.)

Maybe it would work. But who exactly would volunteer for that sort of thing? I really hope that they don't force it on anyone, if they are still trying to renew it.

Edited by Elf_at_heart