Long Game 78: The Legend of Zelda: The False Heroes

Biplet

3 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

And... I only just realized its' Quill in the stars, not quillin the stars. 
Oh gosh I thought it was supposed to sound like "killin the stars". that's so embarrasing.

No that’s amazing you’re amazing the fact that anyone would perceive me as cool enough to pick a name like that is amazing HABAHDGAHSH

I hate to break it to you but the truth is that I’m just a total space nerd. But I’m still taking it as a compliment. Quillin also has quite a nice ring to it, ngl

7 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Collapses to the ground in exhaustion

Oh my gosh I pulled it off. I'm so tired. Alvron, you're terrifying. My poor team got slaughtered this game. That was incredibly close. 

I'm sorry for the stress I caused.  How about next time I kill you first? :P  You played a great game Steel, it's great to have you back.

7 hours ago, Biplet said:

This was the funniest game I have ever witnessed. It was the perfect storm of new players, sheer luck, and RNG nonsense to make some of the most comedic outcomes to every situation. I can't count the amount of times Striker and I lost our minds over voice chat while working on the game. Thank you guys for making this one of the most fun and also most hilarious experiences I have ever had.

I am pleased to have entertained you.  As I said in the GM PM, the Gods of Luck and Chance greatly favour me when I have a kill role.  Although, I don't think I've ever won a game where I had a kill role.  Balance in all things I suppose.

7 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Well, rip. I guess that outcome is fair since the only villager who really would deserve a village win is Alv anyway, I’ve never seen a more effective vig.

There is a very good reason why I tend not to be given village kill roles as you can see.

7 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

And here I was thinking Alv just has an uncanny ability to read me as elim. Turns out that it’s a GM issue :P. Or maybe he actually can read me that well, and just doesn’t want to let on about it :ph34r:.

Sorry Araris, it really was just a coin toss between you are Devotary.
For those that want to know, here's why I killed who I did.
Night 1 I killed Wei.  We all know why, because they had been revealed as Master Kohga.  Kas was also kind/smart enough to send Wei a Durian fruit knowing it would go to Link upon Wei’s death.  Many thanks Kas, it saved me a lot of worrying about sudden Night death.
Night 2 was Araris.  This was a little bit of luck.  In all the games that Araris, Devotary and myself have played together, not once that I can recall have we all been village together so I had a 50/50 shot which I felt was better than targeting anyone else.
Night 3 resulted in TJ’s death.  Oops.  The way they went after TUO on Day 3 who was known to be inactive via GM posting and their following vote move onto Drake when the TUO bandwagon had too much steam felt like an elim move.  When Drake was revealed to have been seeked the following Night and was confident they weren’t going to die (likely due to having a Durian) I decided that instead of going after a revealed elim that taking out another one would be better and TJ couldn’t be Zelda else why the hard TUO push when they had a revealed elim scan.  Overall, that cycle just had TJ elim vibes radiating from it.
Night 4 I spent in quiet reflection of my actions.
Night 5 Purple died by my hand.  This one was pure luck.  After the loss of Wei, Araris and Drake I felt that going after one of the newer players would be best and Purple ended up being the (un)lucky one I targeted.
Night 6 orders were placed to kill Steel until near the end of my time online when Kayla posted “i'm loving this it's a great first dip into these kinds of games and everyone is very helpful”.  This told me that either they had plenty of PMs, which seemed unlikely, or that they were getting their helpful advice from a Doc which meant they were evil.
Night 7 and Gremlin.  They survived the execution and then lied about how they survived and their role.  Seemed pretty clear cut that they were evil.  Oops.  It didn’t help that I thought that Daruk would be evil for balance reasons.  Village Beetle and Mipha strongly suggested that Daruk would be a good fit for the elims.  Well played Biplet and Striker.
Night 8 meditated on the fact twice now I’ve killed two elims before striking down a villager.

6 hours ago, Kasimir said:

I'm proud I managed to slip Alv that durian, even if it functionally made no difference in the end.

Thank you very much for that Durian.  It saved me tons of stress knowing I couldn't be one-shotted and the game just ending.  I slept easy knowing I had a life up my sleeve.  It was a huge difference maker for me.

5 hours ago, Mist said:

Sorry Alv. Good job!

No worries.  If I really wanted to push for the win, I could've just pointed out that you claimed to have roleblocked me so I couldn't made the kill.  But, I also thought you had to be evil since the elims were really underpowered this game.

4 hours ago, Jondesu said:

That was a fun game, and Alv, it was amazing to watch you work even though I didn’t know it was you until now. Yes, despite being in the dead doc (which I didn’t fully read) I didn’t know who Link was. I did know it wasn’t Steel, so I figured it had to be Alvron that last turn, but still, the mystery!

Thank you, thank you.  *bows*  I do admit that all the posts after I killed Purple and Kayla felt really good.  Seeing everyone try and work out how Link was so successful was fun.  Especially since I figured the elims were freaking out quite a bit themselves.  Again, sorry Steel.  If I knew it was you...

4 hours ago, WhiffleWaffles said:

Sorry, Alvron. I should've trusted you because of how early you came to me as Link. Although I will admit that I had planned to ask Quill to move his vote and use a mighty banana on Steel, apparently Steel also had a Mighty Banana? Either way, good game! That was a wild ride. I totally didn't just wake up at 2 in the afternoon and realize it was the last day lol. 

No worries.  Not many trust me and I like it that way.  It let's me play games how I want to play them without having to worry about betraying someone trust. 
That would've been fun. I tell ya, not knowing who is going to die right at the end is a blast.  You should try it.

4 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Oh, waffles. You singlehandedly drove me up the wall this game. We had Link narrowed down to 4 individuals fairly early on, but between Kayla not being on to submit her revali action and you redirecting all of my kills, I wasn't able to narrow it down to Alvron. You did a pretty great job at annoying me as an elim. 

I know the Yiga won, but I feel like the game was definitely village leaning this time around. Not broken, but biased in their direction. There were just, a lot of powerful roles in this game, a lot of protection between knights, mipha, and durians. Granted, the way this game went could not have been predicted, and a large factor of our team being slaughtered can be given to Alvron being a terrifying Link.

Yeah, part of that is my fault, sorry.  I told Waffles that I thought Ash would be the next target and they protected then.  I also let slip that I thought Devotary was Link to see what they would do as I felt the elims were getting rather desperate at that stage with all their teammates dying.  Sorry. I didn't know they were a Knight at that stage.

Agreed.  But to be fair, that was also a large reason you won.  I was convinced that the elims had to have some kind of protection.  If it wasn't for that, you might've been my target N7 instead of Gremlin.

2 hours ago, quillinthestars said:

In all seriousness, this game was a blast! It was so wonderful getting to play with so many new people, if a bit stressful at times. Good game to everyone, I had a ton of fun. And huge thank you to the GMs, I love you guys, thanks for inviting me to come along for the ride. I’ll probably be back for some more SE in the future, just gotta read some books and settle into college first, ya know?

I hope to see you again in future games.  Perhaps you will trust me next time. :P 

My only regret this game is that I don't get to keep Links sword and that Beedles last Pot was broken when I died.  I tried to keep it safe, I really did.
Good thing you didn't take me up on my offer Striker.  I told you D1 I'd be lynched. :) 

Just now, Mist said:

... Oops I didn't clarify that my RB was redirected :P

Yep, double shot. Bip commented on that.

Oh that's why it was so funny. Yeah, that confused the heck out of me when that happened. So Alvron thought there was no elim kill, and I thought there was no vig kill, and confusion ensued. 

What even are the odds of that happening anyway. 

For those that are curious and since I had shared this with Quillin, Devotary, and Alvron in our PM's here's the list of people I had protected with the Knight redirects.

N1 - TJ At this point in the game I thought redirecting a person meant I redirected their actions, not actions taken against them. A lot of us were suspicious of TJ but it turns out that TJ was Zelda.
D3 - Dannex I am so sorry @Danex legit one of the worst moments I've ever had in this game lmao
N4 - Szeth_Pancakes I was suspicious of Tani due to the Drake PM but after Szeth went on vacation I figured they couldn't be an elim and I had some thoughts that it was possible for Szeth to be Link.
N5 - Ashbringer Alvron suspected that Ash would be the next target. 
N6 - Ashbringer Continued to protect Ash.
N7 - Devotary Devotary was a suspected Link from both me and Quill due to Alvron's read on them in our PM. 
N8 - Alvron During the period where I was being voted out, Alvron sent me a delightful PM and roleclaimed as Link. Since he helped me basically getting out of being exe'd, I trusted him more and protected him that night cycle. Ashbringer had sent me a PM and requested that I should not protect them anymore, since they doubted they would be targeted anyway.

1 hour ago, Alvron said:

No worries.  Not many trust me and I like it that way.  It let's me play games how I want to play them without having to worry about betraying someone trust. 
That would've been fun. I tell ya, not knowing who is going to die right at the end is a blast.  You should try it.

I've learned a lot! If I could go back and redo some of the things I've done, I would've definitely requested a PM with Danex and I would've protected Archer too. At one point in the game I was like "Archer's not an elim, there's no way." because of just the vibes I got from their messages. Haha I did trust you but I think it was at that point with the gambit I was just very confused and startled by it? I'm a new player so I haven't been exposed to nearly as many games as some of you, not to mention your playstyles! Which was one of the interesting parts to see, in my opinion. It was cool to see how different people played the game! Like I didn't expect it to be like this, I was sort of thinking people would be quiet and whatnot haha? 

Plus, at that point in the game where I was like "I'll vote for Steel and use these bananas for 1 of the votes on Alvron and ask Quill to trust me"  but it was at 3 am and Quill was asleep at that point xDD So with your vote taken off due to mighty bananas on Steel, 'twas a lost cause. Plus I was just very exhausted at that point because some stuff popped up IRL. Despite that, a fun and wild ride for sure! I'll always look back at this game and remember the wildness of it all. /lh <3 

Honestly was pretty intense towards the last bit of the game because I was so determined and then at that point I thought perhaps you were an elim because I told you someone role-claimed to me, and I figured you killed Ashbringer since you said "It's either Steel or Ash" so I just went "oh no they lied to me" xDD I had believed you the instant you sent me that cat pic but when Quill spoke to me in a PM the next cycle where Steel role-claimed publicly, I was like "OK, I guess you're right." until later on that night when I was.... "Hmmm...this feels wrong" xD

To be honest, I legit did trust you the most besides Quillin, Danex and Archer. 

45 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Wait @Alvron you killed Purple? I thought my kill got redirected onto purple. Did both kills go onto purple on a single night?

YES! Alvron killed Purple, I believe, and I think one of the redirects went to Purple too. Purple was double killed. We're giggling about it like mad. xD 

9 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Collapses to the ground in exhaustion

SAME! :P That was an interesting experience. I think if you hadn't mentioned the Mighty Bananas I would've been more inclined to use mine without the hesitation, but as I've said before when that decision came to me it was 3 in the morning, I was in bed on my phone, and the one person I had a PM with was also in bed at that point, probably not committing sleep crimes like I was. XD 

What I had planned to do at 3 in the morning was cancel Mist's vote on Alvron, contact Quill, and submit my vote for you, but I think with how the numbers turned out it would've just been an RNG? Regardless, no regrets because I had a frickin' blast in this game! When Bip told me it was an error to have me play as a Knight for the first ever game I was left wheezing. I'm surprised all of the people I protected were village, but also proud of myself for that. xD 

9 hours ago, Biplet said:

I'm sure Striker and I will add our GM thoughts later. His wrist is just sprained, and I need a coffee.

So curious to see what Striker thinks! Will the aftermath doc be added to the original signup thread and closed at one point or do they remain open/archived? I'm just curious

Edited by WhiffleWaffles
added the posts I made individually and organized the comment better because I wanted to. Hiding the double-posts next. <3

1 hour ago, Steeldancer said:

What even are the odds of that happening anyway. 

With me involved, quite high odds I'd say.

39 minutes ago, WhiffleWaffles said:

Will the aftermath doc be added to the original signup thread and closed at one point or do they remain open/archived? I'm just curious

It will eventually be closed up and merged with the main thread.  Once the Mods get back to doing it that is. *hint hint mods* :P 

*sigh*

gg elims!

this was a ridiculously fun game

should definitely be rerun sometime soon

also Alv, ur just insane

on the one hand, you decided to kill Zelda when we had an elim outed

but then on the other you somehow managed to stab like the entire rest of the team

so wow

I might come back here and edit in some other stuff, like revealing what happened in all my PMs, cause things got very interesting there.

I'll probably wait to give all my thoughts later as typing with this brace on my right hand is very hard. :P

Anyway, Bip already said a lot of my thoughts, but I just want to reiterate that this game was a blast to run and to watch you guys play. It definitely makes me feel great to see people really enjoy the games I run. Plus I'm glad you guys all showed Bip a great first game for her to GM. I'm just really glad this game ended up being fairly balanced, all things considered. I was very worried about the balance for this game. :P 

Anyway, once again, thank you to everyone to playing. It was fun to be your GM.

8 hours ago, Alvron said:

Night 1 I killed Wei.  We all know why, because they had been revealed as Master Kohga.  Kas was also kind/smart enough to send Wei a Durian fruit knowing it would go to Link upon Wei’s death.  Many thanks Kas, it saved me a lot of worrying about sudden Night death.

I'd like to claim this as being smart enough to realise that, but my thought was actually that the kills should happen the same time on OoA, thus the Durian would not pass from me to Illwei, and from Illwei to you. What I actually thought was that with Illwei making such a show of how she'd Kohga-kill me, I was paranoid enough (thanks Wyrm!) to worry they were trying to phish Zelda from me via Danex or Mat (sorry Mat :P ) and then fake me out by killing Zelda instead, leaving me to be misgrinched.

So I figured, eh, why not just take the Durian to begin with, if I'm dead, whatever, if I'm still alive, I could use that Durian, if I somehow survived that misgrinch. The fact it went to you after all was a happy accident but I'm glad anyway :P 

8 hours ago, Alvron said:

Thank you very much for that Durian.  It saved me tons of stress knowing I couldn't be one-shotted and the game just ending.  I slept easy knowing I had a life up my sleeve.  It was a huge difference maker for me.

Spoiler

shade.png.2cab7f0179ef83336aee90069b65829c.png

Edit: @WhiffleWaffles, @quillinthestars but especially Waffles - wanted to reflect I think you're too hard on yourselves and you all did exactly what you needed to, engaging actively with the game, plotting, trying to solve the game, and just holding your own. Too often I've seen Elims do control kills and carry the thread, and you all kept Steel from running away with that.

As the guy in the dead doc repeatedly going "Oh my God Waffles is doing this, go Waffles!" I can't really object :P 

Edited by Kasimir

Whooo boy. That was tense. Sort of glad I didn't have to play the coinflip last cycle. Sorry I didn't post this sooner, but life's been busy (and not very sleep-filled).

Being a Postman was kind of fun. Organizing with Dannex for those few rounds was something I'm traditionally poor at, but went pretty well until... yes. After that I did my duty as the sole remaining Postman, creating some random PMs and then creating some with Steel and people and being thoroughly irritated that Steel's PM friends kept dying. And then Quill made a PM with me and Whiffle which left me very confused as to why there was another Postman running around.

WhiffleWhaffles, I had a few reasons for telling you not to guard me. I had narrowed down Link to Alvron and Steel, but still didn't trust you (or Quill until we figured out creating a PM cleared them and me). Plus I knew I wasn't Link, but I wasn't sure if the others had crossed me off the list yet. I wasn't confident enough in your alignment to fake-claim Link, or ask for protection which would sorta be a claim. In short, I thought I would (or very well could) get targeted, and at that point I'd rather explode than have that kill randomly redirect into someone who had about a 1/2 chance of being Link.

I'd love to play this again, because sooooo much could have gone different. Trigger-happy Link, Kohga getting scanned literally D1, Zelda and the confirmed dying in the same cycle, and the main game mechanic dying N1... maybe if/when we change the Non-Sanderson game rules this can be rerun once (or twice).

As for Faleast? Well, he was similarly busy not sleeping trying to find the Kandra Leak, although he was proud to be the last one of those to survive. He didn't get much of a souvenir, but he does still have an antique pot...

Oop. I forgot about this game having ended by now. Hi.

This game was certainly quite the roller coaster, you know? There were a lot more crazy coincidences and dramatically ironic twists than there had any right to be, and it was neck and neck all the way to the finish line. I think this will be a game that is remembered.

Also it was pretty cool seeing a number of new people try out the game :)

Anyhow, well done to my Yiga compatriots. I can't really say I never doubted the Yiga would pull through, because it was in some respects a rather challenging game, but that's what makes it exciting! :D There are probably some things I would do differently as evil!Postman!Drake, but I'd like to think the village paid the price for letting me live in the end, and hey if nothing else it was fun. All's well that ends in Calamity, right?

And well played village. I reiterate, it was an uncommonly close game. There were more than a few times where you guys did something that really lit a fire under the Yiga's behinds, if you'll pardon the expression. More times than I particularly feel like listing here, in fact :)

Thank you @Biplet and @StrikerEZ for running another top tier game.

Some thoughts on the game setup:

• It was mostly balanced overall, I think?
  • It wasn't as swingy as I expected. Somehow a lot of the swingy elements kinda balanced each other out, which was sorta cool to see in action. That was particularly well done in this game.
  • Maybe the one thing I would say about any future runs of something similar is that there was maybe a teeny bit too much protective abilities in circulation. Not by a really big margin, considering the Yiga main wincon, but it was actually fairly lucky that relatively few kills were interfered with in this run.

okay so Team Yiga won in the end which is pretty great but now please excuse me while I go cry over all of the bets I lost in the dead doc

Spoiler

tiger.jpg

One final congratulations go to the Yiga for their victory! It's time to close down this thread. Thanks to Striker and Biplet for running this Zelda game. It was a blast to monitor, and I'm sure even more so to play. A very big congratulations goes to Alvron, who had yet another fantastic game as a vigilante role and nearly killed the entire elim team alone. Wonderful game everyone! Thanks for participating.

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Devotary of Spontaneity, Elbereth, Araris Valerian, or myself, or post in the GM Signups & Discussion ThreadNot only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can. 

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Amanuensis, STINK, Sart, Fifth Scholar, Straw, Haelbarde, and Young Bard) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: