Long Game 78: The Legend of Zelda: The False Heroes

Biplet

2 hours ago, quillinthestars said:

Oh I’ve played plenty of games, I grew up on Ultimate Werewolf. I’m new to the forum, not mafia :P And from what I’ve delightedly learned, is that honest players are much more likely to have things go their way than those that lie and manipulate. Because no one will trust you, even when you’re telling the truth.

Maybe I should be more specific.  Play more games here.  Like you I've played Mafia/Werewolf elsewhere but things are different here.  Here we are polite and kind to each other.  It's even in the rules to do so.  That sort of environment leads to certain styles.  Many times in SE if someone wants to manipulate you they will tell the truth.  Heck, most of the time when I'm evil I don't lie at all.  It's true that those that lie will not be trusted which means those that tell the truth are always more dangerous.  That is why I've been considered a master manipulator.  Because I tell the truth most of the time.  I use certain words and phases to get you to come to the conclusions I want you to come to while thinking it's your idea.

I am not trying to manipulate you.  To be honest, I don't care about your vote.  It doesn't matter.  Steels vote is the only thing that matters.  Currently it's on me but if he decides to go for a tie then your vote is useless.  Waffles vote is useless.  Mists vote is useless.  All Steel has to do is vote for himself and cancel one other vote on me and we have a tie.
I'm more than willing to leave the game up to chance.  I've done it several times before and I will do it again regardless of alignment.  I think it's highly unlikely that he will do so as Steel doesn't go for ties like I do but I will still do what I do and see if I can change his mind.  If I can get another person to vote for Steel, which I'm hoping Waffles will do, then that might help tip Steel into going for it but overall, Steel is my target.  What I'm trying to do with you is to open your mind to a style of play you likely haven't seen before.  Your mind is made up that I'm evil I can see and accept that but that doesn't mean I'm lying.  I am simply trying to explain my playstyle.

Kyson led his knights through the halls of the castle, gathering anyone who was still in the castle. By Link’s orders, they were supposed to bring everyone together and figure out once and for all who the Yiga are. They didn’t have much time to waste, with the Calamity coming so soon.

It took most of the day to successfully corral everyone into the throne room. No one really wanted to be cooped up into one room altogether. Even Kyson was worried about it. Things could go south really quickly once the Yiga revealed themselves. But this was their best bet at finding the last of the Yiga before the Calamity came and it was too late.

Kyson and his men stood at the edges of the room, by the doors in case anyone tried to leave. Kyson was half tempted to leave the throne room himself, but he was bound by duty. He had to do this.

Link still hadn’t revealed himself from his latest disguise yet. The plan was to reveal himself at the last minute and draw the attention of the Yiga and then ambush them.

Before the real Link could reveal himself, Linebeck, a salesman who had been unlucky enough to end up in the castle before the lockdown, stood up and said, “I am Link! I have gathered you all here today so we can finally root out the Yiga from amongst ourselves and-”

He didn’t have a chance to finish as Jamut Whitemane, probably the most clueless man in all of Hyrule, pulled out the Master Sword and levelled it at Linebeck.

Linebeck just smiled, and all hell broke loose.

Half the gathered crowd, even a few of the knights, and Linebeck himself puffed away and revealed Yiga soldiers.They charged towards Link, cutting through regular civilians to get to him.

“Get to Link!” Kyson yelled, his sword already drawn as he was running to help Link. “Keep them off of him!”

One of his former knights, now revealed to be a Yiga, stood in Kyson’s way, sword moving for his stomach. Kyson dodged, rolling on the marbled floor of the throne room. He stood, puffing, and sprinted through the chaos, looking for the flash of the Master Sword.

There he stood. Link, holding the sword high, surrounded by Yiga. Kyson swung in a wide arc, catching the side of a footsoldier and sending him careening to the side, screaming. He puffed away in a flash of smoke.

Link fought beautifully, despite how outnumbered he was. Linebeck was gone now, replaced by a hulking Yiga with a huge, double handed sword that cleaved through the air itself. Link dodged this sword expertly, but other Yiga closed in, pressing him closer and closer.

Kyson shouted, carving his way through the footsoldiers. Where had they all come from? They had appeared so suddenly, so perfectly, as if they knew all along this would be how it ended.

One of his knights fell next to him, dead. Another fell nearby, sightless eyes staring upward, blood dripping from his mouth.

Kyson grit his teeth and pushed forward. Link fought, he stumbled, he bled. Even the holder of the Master Sword himself could only stand against an army alone for so long.

And he fell.

Kyson watched, just as he reached the front of the army. The windcleaver sword caught Link in the stomach. The Yiga yanked it out, dripping blood. Bright red blood.

The hero’s blood.

Expressionless, Link collapsed just as Kyson ran his sword through the murderer.

The Yiga puffed away, leaving behind so many dead bodies. Kyson had never seen a dead Yiga before. They always fled before death, but…

The floor was littered with Yiga bodies. Had… had he done that?

No time for thoughts. Kyson fell to his knees next to Link, shouting hoarsely for help. The young knight bled from a wound that had carved cleanly through his abdomen, eyes closed, breathing slow. Goddess, had he always looked so young? The facial disguise gone but clothes remaining, he just looked like a young merchant boy. Just a teenager. Oh Hylia, they had rested the fate of the world on the shoulders of a kid.

Kyson clutched Link to his chest.

Healers and scientists came. They pried Kyson off the boy, checking the wound, checking his pulse. He was dying, there was no saving him, the wounds were too extensive. They had to find a way to fit him in the Shrine of Resurrection with Zelda.

Kyson heard their words, washing over him as he knelt on the floor. The healers took Link’s body away, leaving him covered in the young boy’s blood. He didn’t move, didn’t speak. He just stared at the pool of one hero’s blood on the floor, surrounded by the dead bodies of false ones.

They had failed.

char(70)char(65)char(73)char(76)char(85)char(82)char(69)  

Savia’s hands sat uselessly in her lap. She couldn’t bring herself to do anything. What was the point? 

Light streamed through her bedroom window in Hateno, though it did little to ease her anxiety. She had fled the castle amid the chaos and trekked all the way home, avoiding monsters and stopping at stables for food and rest. Carriages didn’t run anymore. Too many monster raids.

She could hear her mother’s worried voice float up from downstairs, discussing hurriedly with her father. They were debating fleeing Hateno, going even further east or south. Perhaps that would protect them, her mother said. Fort Hateno was good defense, her father insisted. No need to flee. 

Nothing would be good enough defense, Savia’s mind whispered.

They had failed. So thoroughly and utterly failed. Zelda was locked away in the Shrine of Resurrection, with still more months to go until she was healed. Link was dead. The Hyrule Castle scientists were attempting to figure out how to put two people in there before it was too late, but Savia had heard it in their voices. She knew.

They had failed.

Perhaps she would’ve been better off joining the Yiga after all, she thought bitterly. At least in that case she would’ve had a chance to save her family. 

In the corner, her little sister played with her dolls, oblivious to their looming destruction. So innocent, a soft smile on her face. “I have you now, evil man!” With her favorite doll, she ‘slayed’ a ragged old one and held up her favorite triumphantly.

Savia squeezed her eyes shut.

Oh Hylia, why have you abandoned us?

She stood, unable to bear the sight of her sister any longer. She braced herself on the window ledge and looked out on the fields. Somewhere, far in the distance, Hyrule Castle loomed, filled with chaos and panic. They would certainly release evacuation orders soon for all nearby villages, but it wouldn’t be enough. Savia had heard talk of the Calamity’s near-infinite power. They were doomed.

She looked down at her hands, white knuckled on the windowsill. Hands that had held the dying as they bled out, hands that had accused the innocent, hands that had once been callused from brooms and farming rather than the knife she gripped so tightly at her waist.

“You can’t have us, Calamity!” Her little sister declared. “I, Eshen, Hero of Hyrule, will defeat you!”

Savia stalked out of the room, leaving her sister alone with her dolls. Down the stairs, around the corner, to the kitchen where her parents argued. They’d sent her away while they debated, still thinking her the innocent young farmer girl that had left for Hyrule castle so many months before. Did they realize how much these hands had hurt?

“Savia,” her mother jumped, noticing her arrival. “You should go back up to your room, dear.”

Savia shook her head, expression hardened. “We have to join them.”

Her father blinked. “What?”

“We have to join them. The Yiga.”

Her mother glanced at her father, then laughed nervously. “Oh, honey, you do like to joke.”

Savia scowled. “I am not joking. The Calamity is too powerful, I heard all of the talk of it in the castle. I saw all the death at the hands of the Yiga.” She glanced out the kitchen window, looking east. “There will be no fleeing. We will never be far enough away.”

“You can’t know that--”

“And we can’t know that we’ll survive,” Savia interrupted her father. “There is only one hope for our family. For Eshen.” She held their gazes, chin up, defiant. No longer was she the innocent young girl that had never faced danger. In those final weeks in the castle, Savia had witnessed death, had fled chaos and held knives to throats.

And she could do it again, if it meant saving her family.

Slowly, slowly, her parents nodded. “We… will think on it.” Her father said.

Good enough. Savia stalked away, out the front door to sit in the fields. Long grass waved around her, blanketing her and blocking out sound.

What would she do if her parents didn’t agree? If they decided to flee, securing their certain doom? Would she go with them? Would she secure her own fate so certainly?

No.

If her parents decided to flee, Savia would not. She would take Eshen from them and head west. To the Yiga.

To join them.

Her last hope. Her only chance to save her sister.

They had failed.

But at least Savia could live.

char(67)char(65)char(76)char(65)char(77)char(73)char(84)char(89)

Alvron has been removed! They were Link!

Alvron (3): Steeldancer, Mist, quillinthestars
Steeldancer (0): Alvron

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @Matrim's DiceHyrulean Mipha
  2. @Kasimir Hyrulean Beedle
  3. @The Unknown OrderHyrulean
  4. @Ashbringer - Hyrulean Postman
  5. @Azmine_king - Hyrulean
  6. @Archer  Hyrulean Sheikah
  7. @Danex - Hyrulean Sheikah
  8. @Szeth_Pancakes Hyrulean
  9. @Steeldancer - Yiga
  10. @Araris Valerian Yiga King Rhoam
  11. @kaylakrueYiga Revali
  12. @|TJ| - Princess Zelda
  13. @Devotary of Spontaneity Hyrulean
  14. @Illwei Master Kohga
  15. @Jondesu Hyrulean
  16. @Alvron - Link
  17. @DrakeMarshall Yiga Postman
  18. @The Young Pyromancer - Hyrulean Knight
  19. @Random Bystander Hyrulean
  20. @WhiffleWaffles - Hyrulean Knight
  21. @attic_gremlin - Hyrulean Daruk
  22. @Mist - Hyrulean Urbosa
  23. @purplewhiteandgold Yiga
  24. @Tani - Hyrulean
  25. @quillinthestars - Hyrulean Postman

The Yiga have won! Congratulations to @Illwei @purplewhiteandgold @kaylakrue @Steeldancer @DrakeMarshall and @Araris Valerian! The Calamity is imminent.

Docs and stuff!

Dead Doc
Elim Doc
GM Spreadsheet

I'm sure Striker and I will add our GM thoughts later. His wrist is just sprained, and I need a coffee.

char(84)char(72)char(65)char(78)char(75)char(83)   char(70)char(79)char(82)   char(80)char(76)char(65)char(89)char(73)char(78)char(71)
Edited by Biplet

Collapses to the ground in exhaustion

Oh my gosh I pulled it off. I'm so tired. Alvron, you're terrifying. My poor team got slaughtered this game. That was incredibly close. 

One question though. Did you take a durian? I almost killed you during the night turn on the off chance you hadn't eaten one, but realized if you had I'd stand no chance after that. So, did I make the right decision? 

Edit: after looking at the sheets, it looks like I made the right decision. Thank goodness I slept on that, because morning me realized it would be smarter to just kill Ashbringer and claim link and exe you. Whew. 

Edited by Steeldancer

Okay my initial GM thoughts:

This was the funniest game I have ever witnessed. It was the perfect storm of new players, sheer luck, and RNG nonsense to make some of the most comedic outcomes to every situation. I can't count the amount of times Striker and I lost our minds over voice chat while working on the game. Thank you guys for making this one of the most fun and also most hilarious experiences I have ever had.

Well, rip. I guess that outcome is fair since the only villager who really would deserve a village win is Alv anyway, I’ve never seen a more effective vig. Anyway, I had a lot of fun in the game and doc so thanks for running it!

Goodness gracious the dead doc had me pegged early. Feels-bad that my tells have remains the same after a 2 year break. 

I knew for a while that Link had to be an experienced player, but, well not knowing how good or experienced everyone was kept me from identifying Alvron too early. I didn't even know Quillin or Waffles were new until the very end. 

26 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Goodness gracious the dead doc had me pegged early. Feels-bad that my tells have remains the same after a 2 year break. 

I knew for a while that Link had to be an experienced player, but, well not knowing how good or experienced everyone was kept me from identifying Alvron too early. I didn't even know Quillin or Waffles were new until the very end. 

To be fair, a large reason why we pegged you that early was because of Kas’ question.

Edit: Reading through the elim doc, your thought process on me is quite entertaining :P Unfortunate that my PM with Kas got me killed, but I guess that’s just a well played from Drake. I do wish I had lived longer though, but I apparently I should be glad I survived N1 xD

Steel, I also regret the shortness of our PM, but I think you befriended and backstabbed me well.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

29 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

To be fair, a large reason why we pegged you that early was because of Kas’ question.

Edit: Reading through the elim doc, your thought process on me is quite entertaining :P Unfortunate that my PM with Kas got me killed, but I guess that’s just a well played from Drake. I do wish I had lived longer though, but I apparently I should be glad I survived N1 xD

Steel, I also regret the shortness of our PM, but I think you befriended and backstabbed me well.

Here's to being on the same team in the future sometime. 

Thanks for GMing, Striker and Bip! It was a fun adventure outside of retirement.

I think most of my thoughts have been said either in the dead doc or elsewhere, and I'm kind of tired/lazy to revisit them so :P Suffice to say I had fun, I apparently continue to get C1ed everytime I make a joke character, but being Beedle was fun, and it makes my Beedle meme prescient.

I'm proud I managed to slip Alv that durian, even if it functionally made no difference in the end.

Oh yeah:

@Devo: Nice to be on the same team at last :P

@Mat: Oh hello there Cage Shuffle Squat Buddy :P There we went again

Edited by Kasimir

Well hello there everybody! I wasn't around for a while due to camping, and then I was killed, but this game was ridiculously fun to watch from the dead doc. Usually I don't and just focus on the other games I'm in, but this was just so close that I couldn't help it! 

10 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

Well hello there everybody! I wasn't around for a while due to camping, and then I was killed, but this game was ridiculously fun to watch from the dead doc. Usually I don't and just focus on the other games I'm in, but this was just so close that I couldn't help it! 

I'm so sorry about that Szeth, I thought you might be Link because you were gone and a kill didn't get submitted. 

That was a fun game, and Alv, it was amazing to watch you work even though I didn’t know it was you until now. Yes, despite being in the dead doc (which I didn’t fully read) I didn’t know who Link was. I did know it wasn’t Steel, so I figured it had to be Alvron that last turn, but still, the mystery!

Thank you, @Biplet and @StrikerEZ!

Sorry, Alvron. I should've trusted you because of how early you came to me as Link. Although I will admit that I had planned to ask Quill to move his vote and use a mighty banana on Steel, apparently Steel also had a Mighty Banana? Either way, good game! That was a wild ride. I totally didn't just wake up at 2 in the afternoon and realize it was the last day lol. 

I love the fact that Yiga Revali was Kayla. Brilliant. 

Also definitely have learned a few things about this game that I hope I can use in other games. I made a lot of mistakes. 

I need to apologize to Danex because I legit defended them during a Day cycle like a dummy and then they died that night cycle aaaaaa. Sorry, @Danex

Edited by WhiffleWaffles

9 minutes ago, WhiffleWaffles said:

Sorry, Alvron. I should've trusted you because of how early you came to me as Link. Although I will admit that I had planned to ask Quill to move his vote and use a mighty banana on Steel, apparently Steel also had a Mighty Banana? Either way, good game! That was a wild ride. I totally didn't just wake up at 2 in the afternoon and realize it was the last day lol. 

I love the fact that Yiga Revali was Kayla. Brilliant. 

Also definitely have learned a few things about this game that I hope I can use in other games. I made a lot of mistakes. 

I need to apologize to Danex because I legit defended them during a Day cycle like a dummy and then they died that night cycle aaaaaa. Sorry, @Danex

Oh, waffles. You singlehandedly drove me up the wall this game. We had Link narrowed down to 4 individuals fairly early on, but between Kayla not being on to submit her revali action and you redirecting all of my kills, I wasn't able to narrow it down to Alvron. You did a pretty great job at annoying me as an elim. 
Ok, now that I'm on a laptop, I can give my full thoughts. This, was on the whole, a great game to return to the community with. Thank you for not lynching me right off the bat as I started to find my feet again. That being said, the mindless slaughter of my team that occurred this game increased my stress to the point that often it was a challenge to work up the courage to open up the 17th shard and see what had happened. 
I know the Yiga won, but I feel like the game was definitely village leaning this time around. Not broken, but biased in their direction. There were just, a lot of powerful roles in this game, a lot of protection between knights, mipha, and durians. Granted, the way this game went could not have been predicted, and a large factor of our team being slaughtered can be given to Alvron being a terrifying Link. It didn't help with Kayla not being able to submit all her actions, on top of needing to wait to actually get our revali. I know there were circumstances and I accept that, but the revali was kind of our ace in the hole this game for trying to gather information, and it just did not function at all. The turn where Alvron killed her was the turn she was scanning Ashbringer, I could have learned his role and crossed him off the list if she had lived another turn. I feel like the elim team could have used one more strong role probably, like a knight. However, there was the alternate win condition, which kind of my single hope after Link killed Zelda (which was hilarious). So I mean, it turned out alright, but it really felt like the odds were stacked against me the entire game and I didn't much like that feeling, and that really made it stressful for me. 
Criticism beside, I had a load of fun this game. Somehow, my most stressful and tight games end up being the ones I enjoyed the most in the end. I'm so glad to be back and playing with you guys. Personally, I hope to refine my playstyle some more, and finally figure out the trick to reading people and figuring out if they're evil or not. Thank you for running it @StrikerEZand @Biplet
(also, join my game if you need a SE fix asap. It starts tomorrow. Do ittttttt). 

@StrikerEZ and @Biplet, thanks a bunch for GMing this game! It was fun scheming with my team up until Alv stabbed me. I'll look forward to playing these rules again if you two ever run them :).

I do think some sort of adjustment should be made to Beedle, since it's such a high-power role that it almost has to be village. Perhaps there are multiple Beedles, and either the shop rotates between them, or they each have their own stock of items and the requests are randomly distributed. Or there are probably a bunch of other potential ways to change this. Beedle didn't really live very long, so I'm curious what other folks think about this.

And somehow I forgot, awesome play @Steeldancer! It's great to have you back, and I look forward to playing more games together moving forwards.

Edited by Araris Valerian

1 hour ago, Steeldancer said:

Oh, waffles. You singlehandedly drove me up the wall this game. We had Link narrowed down to 4 individuals fairly early on, but between Kayla not being on to submit her revali action and you redirecting all of my kills, I wasn't able to narrow it down to Alvron. You did a pretty great job at annoying me as an elim.

Haha not gonna lie this makes me feel a little bit better about our lose, I was sorta thinking my redirects were very pointless and did nothing at this point in the game since we assumed the Yiga were inactive. I had planned to vote for you at the end and use a Mighty Banana, as I did get one from Devotary, however it seems that wouldn't of done anything. Plus, when I had made that decision it was 3 in the morning and Quillin wasn't on so the vote wouldn't of mattered anyway. 

Since this game was based off Age of Calamity and Breath of the Wild Link, one of the most chaotic Link's ever, I like to imagine he went out wearing a Bokoblin mask. Just give me this peace of mind, please. 

Spoilered to keep the image from blocking the pages. It's Bokoblin mask Link! :D 

Spoiler

Breath of the Wild's dubious food is the best recipe in Age of Calamity -  Polygon

Edited by WhiffleWaffles

Yeah! If I could go back in time, I'd give the elims a knight. I think it would've been smart, though we left a lot of distro up to RNG. Beedle was an attempt to do something different, though I agree that role needs some refinement. Striker and I have talked about reskinning this game for mistborn maybe, so we could rerun the rules. I like those ideas Araris!

And to the elims, I am sorry that it took us so long to get you guys a pinch hitter. I promise we tried, but the one person who signed up to pinch hit never responded to our PMs, so we had to go digging. It took a bit longer than we had hoped.

Some hilarious things that happened this game, from my POV:

• Link killed Zelda. No redirects, no interference. Link just straight up murked Zelda and it was the funniest thing ever. When Alv submitted that action, I called Striker laughing. Drake was presented on a silver platter, but no. TJ died.

• The turn purple died, I was driving my cat to the vet while Striker handled all of rollover. I was on the phone with him to help as much as I could while I drove, my cat screaming constantly in his kennel next to me. Finally, Striker tells me that the elim kill needs to be RNG'd. I say, nonchalantly, "wouldn't it be funny if it double shot purple?"
    Silence.
    "...It picked purple."

• When Kayla subbed in, her first message in the elim doc was "how do I kill Quill?" Quill lived to the end of the game.

• Every single time someone speculated about the way Zelda died, the dead doc lost their minds.

• Striker and I reunited a few days ago, and he promptly sprained his wrist. He typed all PMs with one hand for the entire rest of the trip. I had to squeeze toothpaste onto his toothbrush.

• We mixed up Waffle's PM and didn't realize until well into the first day. Jon and Waffle's roles should've been switched, but by the time we realized it, Jon had seen his role. That's how a newbie got a redirect role, one of the most confusing roles imo.

• Striker and I have quoted quill's "happy birthday waffles" post at least five times already.

• Steel, you calling Quill "Quillin" has become a meme over on the LU discord server. It's Quill's name there.

• We had a mod vc one night over on LU. (For those who don't know, I'm one of the head mods over there, and Quill, Waffles, Purple, and Attic are all mods too.) During this game, we added a few new mods to the team, and while we were doing our first vc with them, Waffles and Quill were scheming over in PMs on the shard. I was trying not to die as I watched them furiously plan while we discussed Modly Things in a voicechat.

• Kayla getting Revali, who is her favorite character, plus Striker unknowingly naming the turn she died "and then there were nine," coincidentally referencing kayla's fic "and then there were none."

This is getting long, so I'll stop, but all in all this was a blast of a game. Also, got Quill to buy mistborn, so success!

You got me to buy Mistborn by you still owe me Conepine lore.

In all seriousness, this game was a blast! It was so wonderful getting to play with so many new people, if a bit stressful at times. Good game to everyone, I had a ton of fun. And huge thank you to the GMs, I love you guys, thanks for inviting me to come along for the ride. I’ll probably be back for some more SE in the future, just gotta read some books and settle into college first, ya know?

Much love everyone! -Quillin :P

10 minutes ago, Biplet said:

Every single time someone speculated about the way Zelda died, the dead doc lost their minds.

But you forgot the best part! We had a party! And everytime someone new joined, we were like: "So, you'll never believe how Zelda actually died..." :P 

23 minutes ago, WhiffleWaffles said:

Haha not gonna lie this makes me feel a little bit better about our lose, I was sorta thinking my redirects were very pointless and did nothing at this point in the game since we assumed the Yiga were inactive. I had planned to vote for you at the end and use a Mighty Banana, as I did get one from Devotary, however it seems that wouldn't of done anything. Plus, when I had made that decision it was 3 in the morning and Quillin wasn't on so the vote wouldn't of mattered anyway. 

Although, it did give me some information on who the knight was. I was about to kill Alvron at one point thinking he was the knight. Circumstances changed... oh right you claimed. If you hadn't claimed I would have shot Alvron thinking he was knight. I also thought Ashbringer was Urbosa for most of the game.
And... I only just realized its' Quill in the stars, not quillin the stars. 
Oh gosh I thought it was supposed to sound like "killin the stars". that's so embarrasing.