Cosmology Word Choice

Mage

Has anyone else noticed that warbreaker uses the word universe instead of Cosmere like Stormlight or Mistborn? Do you think this was intentional, something to do with Hallendren linguistics, or accidental because the Cosmere was younger when Brandon wrote this? Lastly, do you think they would change it in a reprint (this question is for all you leatherbound owners)?

14 minutes ago, Mage said:

Has anyone else noticed that warbreaker uses the word universe instead of Cosmere like Stormlight or Mistborn? Do you think this was intentional, something to do with Hallendren linguistics, or accidental because the Cosmere was younger when Brandon wrote this? Lastly, do you think they would change it in a reprint (this question is for all you leatherbound owners)?

Well I need the quote to full answer this

But the Cosmere is not it’s own Universe, I’m pretty sure. People have attempted/will attempt to leave it which implies there is something outside 

2 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Well I need the quote to full answer this

But the Cosmere is not it’s own Universe, I’m pretty sure. People have attempted/will attempt to leave it which implies there is something outside 

That makes sense. The Cosmere is a small galaxy right? (My personal opinion is that the rest of the universe is rather empty but that’s just me).

I don’t remember the exact quote, but I’m era 2 Steris said something to the effect of “do you ever feel like the Cosmere is playing a cruel joke on you?” I think it’s just a linguistics thing where anywhere someone on Earth would say Universe Brandon swaps it for Cosmere, except in warbreaker. 

1 minute ago, Mage said:

That makes sense. The Cosmere is a small galaxy right? (My personal opinion is that the rest of the universe is rather empty but that’s just me).

Yeah it’s a dwarf Galaxy in a different dimension then ours 

Which means that if there is something that is beyond the Cosmere, say other planets, did Adonalisium have control over them?

If not the his power was not infinite and can run out

Just now, Bejardin1250 said:

Which means that if there is something that is beyond the Cosmere, say other planets, did Adonalisium have control over them?

If not the his power was not infinite and can run out

I think Cosmere is Adonalsium’s realm and everything else is the territory of the God Beyond who created this universe (completely different from ours).

I would guess from what we have seen of shards, Ado’s power wasn’t infinite because 16 x not infinity = not infinity.

I think the God Beyond is more like the God of monotheism. 

You realize Brandon's never going to confirm or deny that, right?

Anyhow, we have Word of Isaac that some of the stars seen in the Arcanum Unbounded chart aren't contained within the Cosmere, meaning that space outside of it is visible to its inhabitants. Depending on how good their astronomy is, various worlds either know or are capable of learning the physical dimensions of the Cosmere and its relation to the wider universe.

On 6/25/2021 at 2:05 PM, Bejardin1250 said:

Brandon hasn't used that term for years, he's corrected it to calling the Cosmere a star cluster. Mind you, given the number of stars Brandon has said it contains (one to two hundred depending on when you ask) it's still a very small cluster.