Shallan sucks

embisk

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is time that this thread came to a close. I have been watching it for a very long time and debating what to do with it - I don’t want to take away a space where people can share their grievances, which is why this thread has been allowed to go dormant and then be necro’d multiple times. However, this thread has also seen multiple instances of conflict which, at some point, needs to be addressed beyond the scope of the individuals causing issues. I want people to be able to express their feelings, but also I do not want to have to monitor a thread like a hawk for over a year because I know there will be inevitable conflict, that isn’t a setup that is sustainable. 

Because of this I am closing this thread - if you have things you want to talk about regarding Shallan then I encourage you to please start new threads about the specific things you want to talk/vent/discuss about! (Do not just remake this thread, I will close it) I know there are multiple things in Brandon books that I absolutely loath and it is incredibly frustrating when people constantly jump in and invalidate your opinion. So please, do not take this as me trying to prevent you venting about Shallan or any other aspects of the books - it is just not feasible to continue doing it here. 

I do want to thank most people who have been hopping in and out of this thread over the last year - the vast majority of you have done very well at being respectful of other opinions. For those who have felt the need to defend Shallan - I do get it, it’s frustrating to see someone complain about X thing you love. However, if that is the case, then this thread is not for you and it is unhelpful and unnecessary to jump in and try and defend a character in a space where people just want to complain. You’re very welcome to make your own thread about what you love about X thing, and I would encourage you to do so! Both venting and praise threads can exist simultaneously, and they aren’t there for people to debate the opinions in any given thread. People don’t go to a thread like this to defend their opinion or be convinced they’re wrong, they go there so they can vent with likeminded people without having to constantly defend their thoughts. 

These tags aren’t used very often but we do encourage people to use them when making new threads - it’s a similar idea to what happens on Reddit (I think) so that other users are aware from the get go that any given threads is a [Support] (aka Vent), or [Discussion] thread.