Sels Cognitive Realm

Bejarden

I was listening to the recent WoBs and a really interesting one came up

Jeremy

If vast amounts of Investiture can distort time in a similar manner as a black hole, [...] does that include Shards? Would time dilation be greater on Roshar than on Nalthis?

Brandon Sanderson

No, because the Shard is contained almost entirely in the Spiritual Realm. In the Spiritual Realm, time and distance have no meaning. So, what this means is: Large piles of Investiture that somehow make it into the Cognitive Realm or the Physical Realm are going to cause time dilation, but the Spiritual Realm—where it belongs—it's not going to do that.

That's gonna make some exclamation points raise above the heads of some people.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/470/#e14822

Does this mean Sels CR has Time Dilation?

Large amounts of Investiture in the CR…

Could be part of the reason of why it’s dangerous to go to Sel, you go in and you come out 50 years later…

Or is Time Dilation the other way around, I can never remember, it wouldn’t be as dangerous than

Edit: Another WoB that practically confirmed it (Should have read the whole stream first…)

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/467/#e14726

Edited by Bejardin1250
Remembered that I don’t really know what TD is…

3 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Large amounts of Investiture in the CR…

Could be part of the reason of why it’s dangerous to go to Sel, you go in and you come out 50 years later…

It is that way. But why limit it to the CR? Have you ever wondered why Sel will play no part in the space age Cosmere? There is your answer. They are hopelessly sloooooooow. Ever wondered why the Ire left Sel? Same answer.

I really want to see Sel's Cognitive Realm!

Investiture plasma storm in the Cognitive Realm from two Shards getting locked there, possible Cognitive Shadows (Svrakiss), the planet itself gaining sentience according to Khriss in the Arcanum Unbounded, how the localization of magic systems to specific places might affect the Cognitive landscape. There's a lot! Now, its Investiture density causes time dilation!

Edited by Honorless

6 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

It is that way. But why limit it to the CR? Have you ever wondered why Sel will play no part in the space age Cosmere? There is your answer. They are hopelessly sloooooooow. Ever wondered why the Ire left Sel? Same answer.

I doubt it applies to the physical… though getting your tech off once you’ve developed it would have that problem 

But if it does apply to the physical this could be the planet that all WorldHoppers go to to not age

Although Valor seems a likely candidate for this too

I do think that Valor is reasonable, and suggest you approach her again. It has been too long, in her estimation, since your last conversation." 

Why would her estimation be different than any other? I see 2 possibilities 

1: She’s a Shard and that makes time different 

2: Time Dilation because she’s so heavily invested in her own planet

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Aon Ire also means "Time, Age".

It was there all along.

27 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I doubt it applies to the physical… though getting your tech off once you’ve developed it would have that problem 

Why? As far as we know these realms are chronologically in sync.

27 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Why would her estimation be different than any other? I see 2 possibilities 

1: She’s a Shard and that makes time different 

2: Time Dilation because she’s so heavily invested in her own planet

Dilation would make her time slower, hence it would be a shorter time to her. It seems to me that by her personality Valor just puts more emphasis on ... encounters with members of the opposite sex. That message very much reads like they did not meet for tea and cookies only.

15 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Why? As far as we know these realms are chronologically in sync.

Well we also have not seen Time Dilation before so who knows how it interacts with different  Realms

All we know is that it’s in 1 of 3 realms so I would assume it only affects one 

But that’s just my assumption 

15 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

It looks like it.

Jeremy

If vast amounts of Investiture can distort time in a similar manner as a black hole, [...] does that include Shards? Would time dilation be greater on Roshar than on Nalthis?

Brandon Sanderson

No, because the Shard is contained almost entirely in the Spiritual Realm. In the Spiritual Realm, time and distance have no meaning. So, what this means is: Large piles of Investiture that somehow make it into the Cognitive Realm or the Physical Realm are going to cause time dilation, but the Spiritual Realm—where it belongs—it's not going to do that.

That's gonna make some exclamation points raise above the heads of some people.

The Dusty Wheel Show (June 17, 2021)

13 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

It seems to me that by her personality Valor just puts more emphasis on ... encounters with members of the opposite sex. That message very much reads like they did not meet for tea and cookies only.

I agree that it reads like they didn't simply talk, but presumably Valor would be more of the "you have to pass these dangerous trials to speak to me" type than the... idk, the "join my harem" type? :P

19 minutes ago, CruelSadist said:

I agree that it reads like they didn't simply talk, but presumably Valor would be more of the "you have to pass these dangerous trials to speak to me" type than the... idk, the "join my harem" type? :P

They have a history of thousands of years. Hoid is grandfathered in. This is getting into ... odd territory.

Edited by Oltux72
typo

17 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Dilation would make her time slower, hence it would be a shorter time to her. It seems to me that by her personality Valor just puts more emphasis on ... encounters with members of the opposite sex. That message very much reads like they did not meet for tea and cookies only.

And here I was hoping Valour was actually Hoid's daughter - I hoped either Valour or Preservation was either the child or distant descendent of Hoid, since its been implied he was already immortal when the shards became shards - I read that line as a relative who wants to see him again.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:03 AM, Oltux72 said:

I don't think Sel will be inactive - they are a major part of the Cosmere's story. I personally would like the cosmic Cosmere story to involve at least four major civilisations (Sel, Scadrial, Roshar, and the Aether planet) with several smaller city states like Taldain, Nalthis, etc., each less powerful and some a protectorate of the big three or four civilisations and some independent but mainly influencing their own worlds, with Threnody the source of the best Hazekillers due to practice fighting both shades and Evil.