(The Night of Sorrows) The Great Flood Theory - Why Contest of Champions May Don't Matter

Rahewi

This theory came to my mind after I read some of death rattles that still have no meaning

Turns out there are some sentence that foreshadow a great body of water that fall from a very long storms. That storms can possibly be everstorm/highstorm or perhaps combination of both

A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears —Collected on Tanatesev 1171, 30 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a cobbler of some renown.

I believe this rattle refers to szeth’s feeling. Sinovar, Szeth’s home, have many mountain that surround it. Will sinovar crumble then got flooded?

I'm cold. Mother, I'm cold. Mother? Why can I still hear the rain? Will it stop? —Collected on Vevishes 1172, 32 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a lighteyed female child, approximately six years old.

This one refers to a rosharan people feeling amidst this very long storm.

Light grows so distant. The storm never stops. I am broken, and all around me have died. I weep for the end of all things. He has won. Oh, he has beaten us. —Collected on Palahakev 1173, 16 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a Thaylen sailor.

This might implied that it will be cause by odium (Now Todium). Very long storm will cause the sun to be blocked so sky will turn into night. You might also can find ‘long night’ foreshadowing from this :

So the night will reign, for the choice of honor is life... —Observed circa Ishi 1173 by Taravangian. Subject was King Valam of Jah Keved.

The day was ours, but they took it. Stormfather! You cannot have it. The day is ours. They come, rasping, and the lights fail. Oh, Stormfather! —Collected circa Tanat 1173 by Taravangian. Subject was a young boy.

The darkness becomes a palace. Let it rule! Let it rule! —Collected on Kakevah 1173, 22 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a darkeyed Selay man of unknown profession.

I believe this will happened in book 5. Brandon need a bitter ending for book 5 so stormlight archive can continue through book 6 to 10. I believe Todium will somehow create eternal global storm on roshar. This will cause catastrophic apocalyptic event that make living people of roshar migrate to shadesmar.

Remember that shadesmar have reverse ecology to the real world? Land in shadesmar is sea in real world while sea in real world is land. So this flood will make shadesmar more occupiable with more land than before. But I believe not all of roshar will be flooded. Mountain will still stand tall above waters so urithru and horneater peak most likely still be safe.

This will become a great strategic tool to make dalinar lose. If dalinar lose, Todium will have him to become his general to conquer the rest of cosmere. With this, Todium will be not afraid to lose. If dalinar win, he will still need to have conquer another cosmere’s world or at least will have to find any new world to occupy. They can’t live in Shadesmar forever. After all, if they can, why did people of ashyn (Human in Roshar ancestors) conquer roshar in the first place?

Edited by Rahewi

8 hours ago, Rahewi said:

This theory came to my mind after I read some of death rattles that still have no meaning

Turns out there are some sentence that foreshadow a great body of water that fall from a very long storms. That storms can possibly be everstorm/highstorm or perhaps combination of both

A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears —Collected on Tanatesev 1171, 30 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a cobbler of some renown.

I believe this rattle refers to szeth’s feeling. Sinovar, Szeth’s home, have many mountain that surround it. Will sinovar crumble then got flooded?

I'm cold. Mother, I'm cold. Mother? Why can I still hear the rain? Will it stop? —Collected on Vevishes 1172, 32 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a lighteyed female child, approximately six years old.

This one refers to a rosharan people feeling amidst this very long storm.

Light grows so distant. The storm never stops. I am broken, and all around me have died. I weep for the end of all things. He has won. Oh, he has beaten us. —Collected on Palahakev 1173, 16 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a Thaylen sailor.

This might implied that it will be cause by odium (Now Todium). Very long storm will cause the sun to be blocked so sky will turn into night. You might also can find ‘long night’ foreshadowing from this :

So the night will reign, for the choice of honor is life... —Observed circa Ishi 1173 by Taravangian. Subject was King Valam of Jah Keved.

The day was ours, but they took it. Stormfather! You cannot have it. The day is ours. They come, rasping, and the lights fail. Oh, Stormfather! —Collected circa Tanat 1173 by Taravangian. Subject was a young boy.

The darkness becomes a palace. Let it rule! Let it rule! —Collected on Kakevah 1173, 22 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a darkeyed Selay man of unknown profession.

I believe this will happened in book 5. Brandon need a bitter ending for book 5 so stormlight archive can continue through book 6 to 10. I believe Todium will somehow create eternal global storm on roshar. This will cause catastrophic apocalyptic event that make living people of roshar migrate to shadesmar.

Remember that shadesmar have reverse ecology to the real world? Land in shadesmar is sea in real world while sea in real world is land. So this flood will make shadesmar more occupiable with more land than before. But I believe not all of roshar will be flooded. Mountain will still stand tall above waters so urithru and horneater peak most likely still be safe.

This will become a great strategic tool to make dalinar lose. If dalinar lose, Todium will have him to become his general to conquer the rest of cosmere. With this, Todium will be not afraid to lose. If dalinar win, he will still need to have conquer another cosmere’s world or at least will have to find any new world to occupy. They can’t live in Shadesmar forever. After all, if they can, why did people of ashyn (Human in Roshar ancestors) conquer roshar in the first place?

The Night of Sorrows. 

I have a similar theory - that by the end of Book 5, Odium would find a way to block or destroy Honor's Perpendicularity, so that no more Stormlight can reach Roshar. 

It would be like an extra long Weeping. And why do people weep? Because of sorrow. So what is the appropriate name for a long time of weeping? The Night of Sorrows. 

Although I disagree on this being a tool to make Dalinar lose. I think it'll be an outcome of the Contest of Champions. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

13 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

The Night of Sorrows. 

I have a similar theory - that by the end of Book 5, Odium would find a way to block or destroy Honor's Perpendicularity, so that no more Stormlight can reach Roshar. 

It would be like an extra long Weeping. And why do people weep? Because of sorrow. So what is the appropriate name for a long time of weeping? The Night of Sorrows. 

Although I disagree on this being a tool to make Dalinar lose. I think it'll be an outcome of the Contest of Champions. 

I may have wrong wording for dalinar lose. I believe regardless of outcome of the Contest of Champions, Dalinar will still lose to Todium.

I 100% agree with you, this probably is The Night of Sorrows.

Brandon Sanderson come from devoted christian background so it's not weird if he takes great flood/Noah story into his own.

Edited by Rahewi

I had some similar thouths as well. Not about Flood, but about Contest of Champions. It was about fact that Contest will be in 10 days, and no way book will close in 10 Days. So will happen something what make Contest meaningless.

Many people predicts Dalinar will lose. But winning Contest practicly dont give TOdium anything - he wnats to escape from Roshar System. Also, Raise stated clear that he cannot cancel Everstorm. Dont think he is lying, but this is part of his power and he can influence it and we saw this (He speed it up or hold in place). So I think Dalinar would win the Contest, because of this quote:

On 19.06.2021 at 6:10 AM, Rahewi said:

But Contract doesnt tell anything about bringing down constatnt natural disaster BEFORE Contest and anywhere outside Urithiru. So is possible TOdium simply surrender Contest, but before this he amplifies Everstorm to the point it covers whole Rosharan Sky. Now he have levrage against humanity and technicly dont break contract - so Dalinar is forced to re-negotiate cotract, but TOdium is the one with ace.

The day of Sorrows is most likely the event here. Its interesting because the day of sorrows is mentioned in the vision shown to Dalinar so this is something predicted by basically everyone from honor to odium to taravangium to the death rattles similar to Dalinar becoming Odium's champion.

19 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

I had some similar thouths as well. Not about Flood, but about Contest of Champions. It was about fact that Contest will be in 10 days, and no way book will close in 10 Days. So will happen something what make Contest meaningless.

Many people predicts Dalinar will lose. But winning Contest practicly dont give TOdium anything - he wnats to escape from Roshar System. Also, Raise stated clear that he cannot cancel Everstorm. Dont think he is lying, but this is part of his power and he can influence it and we saw this (He speed it up or hold in place). So I think Dalinar would win the Contest, because of this quote:

But Contract doesnt tell anything about bringing down constatnt natural disaster BEFORE Contest and anywhere outside Urithiru. So is possible TOdium simply surrender Contest, but before this he amplifies Everstorm to the point it covers whole Rosharan Sky. Now he have levrage against humanity and technicly dont break contract - so Dalinar is forced to re-negotiate cotract, but TOdium is the one with ace.

Good prediction, your theory can happened.  if it happened, I wish Contest of Champion will still significance at least until we get this reveal. I feel like if we know Todium will bring the night of sorrows regardless if he win or lose, all the foreshadowing and preparation we got for Contest of Champions will become meaningless. 

6 hours ago, Waffles said:

The day of Sorrows is most likely the event here. Its interesting because the day of sorrows is mentioned in the vision shown to Dalinar so this is something predicted by basically everyone from honor to odium to taravangium to the death rattles similar to Dalinar becoming Odium's champion.

It will be funny if we got bamboozled again by brandon like dalinar becoming odium's champion theory. The night of Sorrows will almost happened and somehow it didn't. he can use 'well it's taravangian now not rayse so future got changed'

Cultivation, Renarin, Taravangian and Odium all foresaw Dalinar becoming Odium's tool. How exactly that will occur is the question. Cultivation's line in the flashback about handing Odium a powerful tool with Dalinar is the real powerful confirmation since it does not portray him as a champion.

Its a bit confounding since the endless rain implies some problem with the stormfather and the obvious culprit would be Dalinar but that would suggest that the Honor foresaw the initial defeat of odium and a following dilemma between the stormfather and Dalinar... which seems oddly too specific for Honor who was not amazing at foreseeing the future. 

Alternately the day of sorrows is the eventual failure of the stormfather based on a separate plan by odium to deal with the stormfather and radiants that - similar to the everstorm - has been in the works a long time. This would play well into Odium's specific timing for the contest of champions - the plan to bring the day of sorrows falls on the day of the contest of champions.

12 hours ago, Waffles said:

Cultivation, Renarin, Taravangian and Odium all foresaw Dalinar becoming Odium's tool. How exactly that will occur is the question. Cultivation's line in the flashback about handing Odium a powerful tool with Dalinar is the real powerful confirmation since it does not portray him as a champion.

Its a bit confounding since the endless rain implies some problem with the stormfather and the obvious culprit would be Dalinar but that would suggest that the Honor foresaw the initial defeat of odium and a following dilemma between the stormfather and Dalinar... which seems oddly too specific for Honor who was not amazing at foreseeing the future. 

Alternately the day of sorrows is the eventual failure of the stormfather based on a separate plan by odium to deal with the stormfather and radiants that - similar to the everstorm - has been in the works a long time. This would play well into Odium's specific timing for the contest of champions - the plan to bring the day of sorrows falls on the day of the contest of champions.

That's nice prediction

Your theory make this quotes much more relevant

The day was ours, but they took it. Stormfather! You cannot have it. The day is ours. They come, rasping, and the lights fail. Oh, Stormfather! —Collected circa Tanat 1173 by Taravangian. Subject was a young boy.

the 'Stormfather' part may not just simply a cried for help but actually an important part that implied something happened to stormfather

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 11:10 PM, Rahewi said:

I agree this will be Szeth watching Shinovar get wrecked and the sea flooding in.  I think it will be from Division being used at large scale to wreak the mountains and perhaps the land which will allow the sea to flood in. I don't think there will be another storm that covers everything though. 

I think we've seen what this one refers to already. The storm that never stops is referring to the Everstorm as in forever, never stopping. Like a mistranslation from a dying person not fully understanding what they are witnessing. I think this reaction of "he has won" is very similar to the Stormfather's reaction after the Everstorm comes at the end of WoR.  

IT DOES NOT MATTER. YOU WERE TOO SLOW. YOU FAILED. THE EVERSTORM IS HERE, AND THE SPREN OF THE ENEMY COME TO INHABIT THE ANCIENT ONES. IT IS OVER YOU HAVE LOST. - The Stormfather in WoR ch. 89

This most likely refers to the Unmade taking over the palace in Kholinar during OB. There is a dome of gloom that covers the palace.  

"Did you see that darkness around the palace?" Kaladin asked Syl. 

"Yeah," she whispered. "Something's very wrong." - OB Ch. 60

On 15/7/2021 at 6:16 PM, Child of Hodor said:

I agree this will be Szeth watching Shinovar get wrecked and the sea flooding in.  I think it will be from Division being used at large scale to wreak the mountains and perhaps the land which will allow the sea to flood in. I don't think there will be another storm that covers everything though. 

I think we've seen what this one refers to already. The storm that never stops is referring to the Everstorm as in forever, never stopping. Like a mistranslation from a dying person not fully understanding what they are witnessing. I think this reaction of "he has won" is very similar to the Stormfather's reaction after the Everstorm comes at the end of WoR.  

This most likely refers to the Unmade taking over the palace in Kholinar during OB. There is a dome of gloom that covers the palace.  

It's nice seeing this theory got some contradiction. Even though, I like backing this theory up. I can see some of it direction make story rather unsatisfying especially for something that have been foreshadowing for so long like Contest of Champions. Also, If Stormfather loses his power or die, it means there's possibility we cant see dalinar Fourth and Fifth Ideal.

But, I still curious what "The Night of Sorrow" will be like. and little theory about it is not helping

On 19/06/2021 at 6:10 AM, Rahewi said:

Personally I think the Stormfather will make a choice to spare somebody, becomes a deadeye and thus the Night Of Sorrow happens.
I don't have the quotes at hand but more than once it's been asked what will happen if the storm ceases to blow and we will probably find out in book 5. This would also provide an even more urgent reason for team Radiant to find BAM and free her.

Edited by TranslucentPhilosopher
edited for grammar

I had a thought, what if it is Kharbranth instead? The "They were his own tears " part kind of make me think the person who is doing the action is the one crying. Todium having to attack his own homeland and cause themves would be a good narrative. And for Todium....it could really be his own tears, the waves...

There is some foreshadowing in the narrative that Dalinar will hurt the Stormfather somehow. This may be as a direct result of the Contest or as a indirect consequence, but Dalinar will accidentally hurt Stormfather enough to disrupt the Highstorm. No Stormlight, no crem, slow death of the land.

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/6/2021 at 6:10 AM, Rahewi said:

it's the battle for narak at the end of word of radiance

On 7/26/2021 at 1:30 PM, Leuthie said:

There is some foreshadowing in the narrative that Dalinar will hurt the Stormfather somehow. This may be as a direct result of the Contest or as a indirect consequence, but Dalinar will accidentally hurt Stormfather enough to disrupt the Highstorm. No Stormlight, no crem, slow death of the land.

That's true, I hadn't thought about it before, but what happens to the Stormfather if Dalinar loses the contest? I had assumed that the bond would just end, like when a Radiant dies, but what if it's seen as breaking his oaths and that's how the Stormfather becomes a deadeyes? I'm not sure about the rest of this theory, but that's a frightening possibility. 

On 22/06/2021 at 4:43 PM, Rahewi said:

It will be funny if we got bamboozled again by brandon like dalinar becoming odium's champion theory. The night of Sorrows will almost happened and somehow it didn't. he can use 'well it's taravangian now not rayse so future got changed'

I mean, there are DRs about events that couldn't have happened if Cultivation hadn't changed Dalinar's future so I don't think this will happen

On 15/07/2021 at 0:16 PM, Child of Hodor said:

I don't know, there's another DR about darkness ruling and it's definitely not about Kholinar

58 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

That's true, I hadn't thought about it before, but what happens to the Stormfather if Dalinar loses the contest? I had assumed that the bond would just end, like when a Radiant dies, but what if it's seen as breaking his oaths and that's how the Stormfather becomes a deadeyes? I'm not sure about the rest of this theory, but that's a frightening possibility. 

Well

Me, My Skirt, and I

Radiants stay Invested after death in the Cognitive Realm. Does this mean that the Nahel Bond lasts until they go Beyond or does the bond end when the body dies?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. We'll add one to the RAFOlympics. Good question, I like the way you're theorizing.

YouTube Livestream 32 (June 3, 2021)

I think the fact H-Duralumin can steal Nahel Bounds implies it does last at least some time

If anyone's interested, here's a 20min video of a girl theorising Dalinar will lose the contest and the Stormfather will become a Deadeye

On 8/25/2021 at 1:24 PM, mathiau said:

I mean, there are DRs about events that couldn't have happened if Cultivation hadn't changed Dalinar's future so I don't think this will happen

I don't know, there's another DR about darkness ruling and it's definitely not about Kholinar

What Death Rattle is about alternate Dalinar future events? He sees visions in the Valley of what he would do killing his nephew to assume the throne and burning more kingdoms, but I don't think that's Moeloch showing it to him. 

There are only two death rattles that mention darkness, the one about it becoming a palace and ruling and one that doesn't mention ruling at all. This is referring to their skin having red in it. I don't see how this supports the original theory of a flood. 

They are aflame. They burn. They bring the darkness when they come, and so all you can see is that their skin is aflame. Burn, burn, burn... 

—Collected on Palahishev 1172, 21 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a baker's apprentice.[35]

12 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

What Death Rattle is about alternate Dalinar future events?

"In the storm I awaken, falling, spinning, grieving."

Describes Kal refusing to become Odium's champion. Technically not about alternate Dalinar but still about something that wouldn't have happen if he had become Odium's champion.

He sees visions in the Valley of what he would do killing his nephew to assume the throne and burning more kingdoms, but I don't think that's Moeloch showing it to him.

Why not? Smartvangian said all Unmades has some relevance to future sight.

There are only two death rattles that mention darkness, the one about it becoming a palace and ruling and one that doesn't mention ruling at all.

I seem to have confused "Night" and "Darkness".

So back to why I don't think "The darkness becomes a palace. Let it rule! Let it rule!" is about Kholinar: the darkness never became a palace. They overtook the palace, if you want to get metaphorical the palace became darkness, but darkness didn't become a palace.

If that DR is not about the Night of Sorrows it's most likely about Rall Elorim, the City of Shadows.

This is referring to their skin having red in it. I don't see how this supports the original theory of a flood. 

It's more likely about the Division Fused, not that it changes anything to your point.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:32 AM, Rahewi said:

That's nice prediction

Your theory make this quotes much more relevant

The day was ours, but they took it. Stormfather! You cannot have it. The day is ours. They come, rasping, and the lights fail. Oh, Stormfather! —Collected circa Tanat 1173 by Taravangian. Subject was a young boy.

the 'Stormfather' part may not just simply a cried for help but actually an important part that implied something happened to stormfather

RoW spoilers

Spoiler

As of RoW I see two options that might be foreshadowed in book 4:

1. we now have a way to actually kill spren (e.g. Phendorana). Could someone attack the Stormfather in the centerbeat of the Highstorm with a dagger? 

2. The Stormfather gets trapped in a gem similar to Ba-Ado-Mishram... similarly having world-wide consequences.

Edited by Dreamwa1ker