Black Sand rewhitening

Oltux72

I hope the title is so generic that it should be no spoiler.

Anyway, the reference should be clear in its murderous application. But why did it actually work? The Sand stores Investiture, which has to come from somewhere. It means that Spren bleed a bit of Investiture. Them being made of Investiture that may not be so much of a surprise. However, it raises an important question. Why don't Spren vanish over time? Cognitive Shadows do so, unless special measures are taken. So Spren must have at least a small source of Investiture. Considering this, it seems to me that the ability of te Stormfather and The Sibling to generate Investiture is not peculiar to them, it is just many orders of magnitude larger.

How is this testable? It would be difficult, but in principle a talented Seeker should sense Spren, just as Vin sensed the Mist Spirit.

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

I hope the title is so generic that it should be no spoiler.

Anyway, the reference should be clear in its murderous application. But why did it actually work? The Sand stores Investiture, which has to come from somewhere. It means that Spren bleed a bit of Investiture. Them being made of Investiture that may not be so much of a surprise. However, it raises an important question. Why don't Spren vanish over time? Cognitive Shadows do so, unless special measures are taken. So Spren must have at least a small source of Investiture. Considering this, it seems to me that the ability of te Stormfather and The Sibling to generate Investiture is not peculiar to them, it is just many orders of magnitude larger.

How is this testable? It would be difficult, but in principle a talented Seeker should sense Spren, just as Vin sensed the Mist Spirit.

Not necessarily. The forms they have are made of investiture, but they don't have to be leaking. It's possible to make gemstone that can hold stormlight indefinitely, so the spren could be like that.

6 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Not necessarily. The forms they have are made of investiture, but they don't have to be leaking. It's possible to make gemstone that can hold stormlight indefinitely, so the spren could be like that.

But then what makes the black White Sand white again?

10 hours ago, Frustration said:

I would think that the Highstomr renews them, given that the ones in the CR glow afterwards, and Syl's interleud.

This.

Weve even seen this, Spren get a bit more vital during and right after Highstorms.

There is also possibility that Sand (or, being more specific, Sand Microbs) activly drain Investiture from envirnoment. And this would make them somewhat simmilar to Leecher.

Calamity Austin signing (Feb. 25, 2016)
#4 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

If you were a Leecher, could you destroy a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm going to RAFO that for now, let's just say that it would be incredibly difficult if it were possible, and I'm not going to even say if it is. But that kind of power... 

Questioner

Let's just say they were burning duralumin as well.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say that the Investiture in a Shardblade is much greater than your average Allomancer, but... This type of thing is not unheard of in the Cosmere. The larkin, the Leechers, and Nightblood all have a similar sort of thing going on. Destroying a Shardblade would be really hard. And Investiture resists other forms of Investiture, so.

Take a look at these:

Alteroden

With Stormlight, the better the gem is cut, the less Stormlight it leaks, and the longer it holds its charge. If a gem was perfectly cut, on a molecular scale, would it leak Stormlight at all?

Brandon Sanderson

In a theoretical flawless gem, then no it would not.

Alteroden

Would it actually give off light?

Brandon Sanderson

[...] Theoretically no it would not, but it's not what you're thinking...

Alteroden

No no no, that’s not what I’m thinking, I figured that’s something totally different.

Brandon Sanderson

Well, actually, it probably would still give off light, because it's drawing out of the Spiritual Realm. So I’d say it still lights, but it doesn't leak. The leaking is not where the illumination is coming from. The illumination is coming from a direct... It's basically a light bulb screwed into the Spiritual Realm.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

“I couldn’t get Lifelight and Stormlight to recombine, but I don’t know if this counts as truly splitting them apart—as I’ve only split their radiation, not the pooled Light itself.”

swieczq

Would someone with enough knowledge be able to use Autonomy’s Investiture if Taldain’s star was seen from his world?

Brandon Sanderson

So I’m on a world and I see Taldain’s star, what you're asking if someone could use the Investiture? Oh, OK I see. Yeah yeah yeah yeah. That’s good! You stumped me. I haven’t gotten that question before. I would say yes, if the light particles are reaching you. I mean technically you could use the light from one of those stars to power a solar sail so…

Kraków signing (March 21, 2017)

It's possible Investiture in general and/or all Invested objects give off slight Investiture radiation to some degree, which a very Investiture sensitive device or Invested Art could pick up on.