Little Things that Frustrate You

Jash

I was thinking that it might be interesting to just talk about the things that frustrate us in the series, hopefully people can just share their opinions without much disagreement, so I'll suggest as the OP, that we all only tag others to agree with them lol. Some people will write things that frustrate them, that you like..but...just ignore it. I want this to be like a free place to complain without having to fight people about it! So, I'll start. 

1. As my previous topic stated, I want Moash to be a more major PoV. I want him to be presented in a more gray light, and I want him to have nuanced opinions on things. 
2. I want the Jasnah and Shallan relationship to develop more. I loved their interactions in The Way of Kings and the beginning of Words of Radiance. I understand that Sanderson wanted Shallan to mature passed a wardship, but...their relationship could have developed as they became more equals. After all, in real life, I still talk to many people who at one time were teaching me things. Relationships often continue, although changed, past the point of wardship. 
3. Give me more Singers! I loved Eshonai's chapters in Words of Radiance, and the little we got of Venli and Rlain in Oathbringer. Give me more! Also, add more nuance to them. I am hoping, and no spoilers, that the Listeners who disappeared at the end of WoR might return at a later date (I believe it included Eshonai's Once Mate. Wow, can't exactly remember, but there was a big group that disappeared). 
4. Not exactly a complaint, but give me more of Bridge 4. Loved Moash, Teft, Rock, Lopen, Rlain, Skar, and Sigzil's PoVs. I just want more of these amazing characters. 
5. Another non-complaint, as it was solved at the end of Oathbringer. Shallan choosing Adolin made since. Please, Kaladin fans don't attack me. I like, and relate to Kaladin more than Adolin...however, he just made more sense for Shallan. They had better chemistry. Now, don't get me wrong : I wanted Shallan and Kaladin to become FRIENDS, not lovers, and thought that made more sense even in how they interacted. Anyways, it ended up going that way to my surprise (most media wouldn't have gone that way, thank you Sanderson for having Shallan make the sensible choice!). 
6. More dark eyes, or people from lower rungs of society. I enjoy the parts that take place looking at those without power and privilege more than those who do. I liked Shallan in TWoK before she had much power. I liked Kaladin in TWoK for the same reason. Enjoyed Bridge 4 PoVs in Oathbringer for that reason. Eshonai and Venli could also go in this catergory. What I liked most while reading TWoK is I felt like Kaladin was a character who wouldn't get a voice in most books or movies. I think Sanderson also excels in writing these characters and making their mundane tasks or lives so interesting to read. The chapter from Rock's PoV might be my favorite in the entire book, and all he did was cook and talk to people and carry a bridge. Sanderson made every word count. Anyways, my complaint is just I want more of that. I love the overreaching plot of this book, but I think more common people having a voice wouldn't hurt the story that much. Many of Bridge 4 could be around the action. Other radiants who have come from harder backgrounds as well. 

I think that's all I can think of now. Anyways, don't get this wrong. Second favorite series I've ever read. Think I've never cried as hard as when Kaladin first helps Hobber and Dabbid. Like, I broke down. Or later when Skar first comes to join Kaladin, Rock, Teft, and Dunny around the fire, and I broke down again. I think Sanderson has created real beauty in his words. I just wish...I wish there was more of it, and less of the overarching plot. The moments that hit me the hardest were not the ones where we learned about lore, or had some hard political conundrum, it was when two friends were there for each other, or real human compassion existed in a place where everything attempted to stamp it out. Anyways, hope to see some of your complaints as well, and I will only be replying with positive comments. Hope everyone can follow my lead for this one topic^^. 

People who worship Stick.

Shallan

Jasnah's detatchment, she was so good in WoK prime, but so far in the main series she's shaping up to be quite different, and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

Edited by Chaos

1) Some conversation acknowledging the Lighteyes/Darkeyes thing that isn't just other characters, including freed slaves, telling Kaladin he shouldn't be so mistrustful of the Lighteyes. We've had multiple instances of this and none of the reverse, where any Darkeyes points out a Lighteyes' prejudice

2) Some LGBT rep in-book that isn't a throwaway line or a very meta commentary

3) That single line where Kaladin says Elhokar is Dalinar's Tien, I hate it so much

@Jash, I think you can add the [Support] tag in front on the title of your post.

as well as highlight the part where you say what you want people to post in the topic, that you want posters to create their own lists rather than discussing other members' lists.

Edited by Honorless

1. Too much plot armor
  2. not enough fighting
  3. Far too much info/magics/etc feels like it's being purposefully held back until 6-10
  4. Not enough Szeth
  5. Far too many fake out deaths
  6. Not enough rosharan ecology
  7. the political systems feel two dimentional, there are ten highprinces, but in the book only two matter, Thaylenah's plutocracy might as well be a monarchy etc.
  8. Shards are supposed to have specific histories, but the closest we get to that in text is the name of one set of plate.
  9. Fused are far too weak to have actually been such a devestating force in the past.
  10. Not enough greatshells.

31 minutes ago, Frustration said:
  1. Far too many fake out deaths
  2. Not enough rosharan ecology

I like these two. I would like more ecology, perhaps in Shallan's PoV. She just randomly draws stuff more often? The fake out deaths kind of annoy me in all media. I do think at times they can be powerful I guess (there are certain shows of books I can think of), but mostly they seem like..added drama for no reason. Did we have to think Jasnah was dead? Coudln't she have just been separated from Shallan without being perceived dead? I'm not sure that it was more powerful by having her be fake dead, Shallan could have ASSUMED she was dead, without a need for her actual body being stabbed. I don't know, anyways, I agree with you that fake out deaths are...frustrating. 

1 minute ago, Jash said:

I like these two. I would like more ecology, perhaps in Shallan's PoV. She just randomly draws stuff more often? The fake out deaths kind of annoy me in all media. I do think at times they can be powerful I guess (there are certain shows of books I can think of), but mostly they seem like..added drama for no reason. Did we have to think Jasnah was dead? Coudln't she have just been separated from Shallan without being perceived dead? I'm not sure that it was more powerful by having her be fake dead, Shallan could have ASSUMED she was dead, without a need for her actual body being stabbed. I don't know, anyways, I agree with you that fake out deaths are...frustrating. 

and then they make the real deaths unrealistic, took me several months after OB to finally say "Oh, Elhokar might actually be dead for real"

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

and then they make the real deaths unrealistic, took me several months after OB to finally say "Oh, Elhokar might actually be dead for real"

Exactly!!! I completely agree with this. If you watch the Walking Dead, I constantly didn't know who was dead or not dead after one particular fake out where a character was like literally being eaten, and then surprise : Not dead! In movies or tv shows, it forced the directors to have to kill the characters in extremely gruesome ways so we know they are dead. In books, it means any death where the character doesn't like check their pulse and also prod them for several days after the death, we assume is still alive. I do think one thing, if you do want to fake out death, you should present that possibility beforehand. For example, in Jasnah's case if we knew someone could completely repair their body from a stab wound, than even if Shallan takes that death on face value, we could question it. But we didn't know that until AFTER Jasnah was stabbed. So, as you said, it leads to constantly not being sure if someone is dead or not. The only semi fake out death I liked was Skar and Drehy, because it wasn't really clear if they were dead or not, so I thought we would get either dramatic confirmation or their death, or great feelings of them still being alive.