Chinkoln

How big are the ghost bloods? Mraize said they are most powerful organization in the cosmere, implying that they are immense. Mraize also gives us a chain of command.

Mraize -> Iyatil -> Thaidakar

This either means that Mraize is very high up in the Ghostbloods, or they aren’t that big. Which is it?

It’s more like Thaidakar<his lieutenants (his crew)<then his crews crew

So Iyatil is probably in charge of Roshar with Mraize doing day to day ops

With other “crews” on all the other worlds

And Thaidakar oversees all the crews

It was my impression that they were very big

7 hours ago, Chinkoln said:

How big are the ghost bloods? Mraize said they are most powerful organization in the cosmere, implying that they are immense. Mraize also gives us a chain of command.

I assume that they are not necessarily large in numbers, but the organization has a larger reach. Where the Ire rely on their knowledge of realmatics and Elantrian magic, Thaidakar doesn't rely only on the Metalic Arts, preferring instead to work with skilled natives from the planets he's interested in. Maybe thirty to fifty low-level operatives per Shardworld?

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Thaidakar is overconfident, 17th shard has them outclassed, the IRE has had centuries of a head start, etc.

There is no feasable wya they are the most powerful in only three-hundred years.

This is Kelsier we are talking about. Look at what he did with a few years with his mistborn powers.

The Ghostbloods managed to reach Yolen in record time, which Khriss struggled to do/is struggling with?. So definitely a lot of reach.

They also managed to get an Aviar while Khriss and scholars from Silverlight could not survive Patji.

The Ire are definitely well-entrenched on Roshar, near Threnody. Their knowledge of Shards is also pretty good.

The Seventeenth Shard also seems pretty powerful and big, but apparently the Ghostbloods poach members from them.

The Ghostbloods are definitely a powerful worldhopper organization, comparable to the other big names.

Given how well-known the Ghostbloods were to freelance informants and how deep their reach was, I think it's pretty safe to say that they've got a lot of members. Though possibly not as many Invested members as some others if they were recruiting low level informants native to the Shardworld.

11 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

It’s more like Thaidakar<his lieutenants (his crew)<then his crews crew

So Iyatil is probably in charge of Roshar with Mraize doing day to day ops

With other “crews” on all the other worlds

And Thaidakar oversees all the crews

It was my impression that they were very big

Yeah, that's basically my take on their structure. Iyatil is an upper echelon member of the Ghostbloods, she's training Mraize to take charge of the Roshar branch office of the company. Mraize calls her his "babsk" which is what Rysn calls her mentor. 

Mraize runs the meetings and the day to day, if he needs correcting or instruction Iyatil does it privately so as not to undermine Mraize in front of everyone.  

Iyatil will eventually move on to wherever she is needed next leaving Mraize in charge. 

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

The Ghostbloods managed to reach Yolen in record time, which Khriss struggled to do/is struggling with?. So definitely a lot of reach.

They also managed to get an Aviar while Khriss and scholars from Silverlight could not survive Patji.

The Ire are definitely well-entrenched on Roshar, near Threnody. Their knowledge of Shards is also pretty good.

The Seventeenth Shard also seems pretty powerful and big, but apparently the Ghostbloods poach members from them.

The Ghostbloods are definitely a powerful worldhopper organization, comparable to the other big names.

ohhh,we know the Ghostbloods have reached Yolen?

Khriss and others couldnt survive on Patji?

Ghostbloods poach members from the 17th Shard?

So many questions! Tune in next time on the next episode of DragonBall Z

15 minutes ago, Infinitysliver said:

ohhh, we know the Ghostbloods have reached Yolen?

It's from Mraize's collection:

Other curiosities baffled her. A vial of pale sand. A couple of thick hairpins. A lock of golden hair. the branch of a tree with writing on it she couldn't read. A silver knife. An odd flower preserved in some kind of solution. ... That chunk of pale pink crystal looked like it might be some kind of gemstone, but why was it so delicate? Bits of it had flaked off in its case, as if simply setting it down had almost crushed it.

We couldn't figure out where the branch was from, so we got a WoB:

Questioner

[Mraize's] cosmere treasure room had a white tree branch-like thing, is that the bones from Sel?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not from Sel, it's from Yolen.

Shadows of Self London UK signing (Oct. 19, 2015)

Khriss and others couldnt survive on Patji?

Yup, we got it from the Arcanum Unbounded. All expeditions from Silverlight that ventured into Patji did not return.

Ghostbloods poach members from the 17th Shard?

KING

What would it take for a member of the Seventeenth Shard Shard to convert over to a member of the Ghostbloods? 

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, the Ghostbloods would actively recruit from them. So, I think it would not be terribly difficult. It 's gonna depend on which kind of Seventeenth Sharder. Because there are a lot of non-field-agent Seventeenth Sharders, which would be less interesting. Field agents, they would actively recruit. 

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

@Bejardin1250 I like your theory, it makes sense. @Honorless thanks for the info. the fact that Mraize has an aether means that they went to Aether of Night world whatever that's called. so pretty much Ghostbloods stretch very far even into unpublished stories.

17 hours ago, Frustration said:

Thaidakar is overconfident, 17th shard has them outclassed, the IRE has had centuries of a head start, etc.

There is no feasable wya they are the most powerful in only three-hundred years.

I don’t know

If anyone can do it be him

The 17th Shard if I had to guess has not been doing much, (basically nothing)and is now being threatened by this new group: The Ghostbloods

They don’t take it seriously for many years then suddenly members start going missing here and there

And now the GB have amassed a huge operation right under the 17 Shard nose and are par with them in strength 

But not in numbers 

I would like the upcoming Silverlight novel to deal with this and maybe show the 17th Shard making a comeback 

Edited by Bejardin1250

17 hours ago, Frustration said:

Have you informed Thaidakar of this? I’m pretty sure ‘not feasible’ is just an encouragement. I don’t think he even knows what the term ‘impossible’ means. He seems to have made a career out of doing it...

4 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Have you informed Thaidakar of this? I’m pretty sure ‘not feasible’ is just an encouragement. I don’t think he even knows what the term ‘impossible’ means. He seems to have made a career out of doing it...

I mean, you aren't wrong.

Oooh, I just realized- I think those branch looking things from Yolen might've been Tamu Keks!

Looking at the other things in Mraize's collection

A vial of pale sand refers to white sand from Taldain, it's confirmed*

A couple of thick hairpins probably refers to Hemalurgic spikes? Might refer to Soulstamps?

A lock of golden hair, probably the Royal Locks of Idris from Nalthis

A silver knife from Threnody

An odd flower preserved in some kind of solution could refer to Tears of Edgli from Nalthis (they are Invested)*, it could also refer to Patji's Fingers flowers from First of the Sun (they're Invested as we see in the novella, and the Ghostbloods already have Aviar from there, so they can definitely access the place), or Marewills from Scadrial (though those are not Invested objects but Thaidakar is Kelsier)

The chunk of pale pink crystal is confirmed to be an aether*

Brandon Sanderson

So, if you don't know what these, the Tears of Edgli are flowers that they get a specific dye for that are briefly mentioned in the books. But they are where the Shardpool is in Warbreaker. So it's actually pretty relevant, although in the first book, it doesn't actually pop up all that much. But they are Invested flowers, basically.

YouTube Livestream 3 (Jan. 25, 2020)

Questioner

Mraize's Basement Emporium. Is that more like a trophy room or a "In case of emergencies" room?

Multiple people

Or a bank vault?

Or a weapon's vault?

Or both?

Brandon Sanderson

So, yes...

I mean, he can't use the Aether, right? ...He can't use the Aether, he doesn't have an Aether. But the sand, the sand does stuff. So a handful of sand is a really useful amount of sand to have if you're not a sandmaster. Because sand reacts to Investiture. So if you let it fade and you take it somewhere, as soon as Investiture goes kinetic, it'll turn white again. So you'll be able to use it to tell who's using Inve-- it works just like a Seeker, like bronze pulses...

So having white sand, having sand around is really good. If you can keep the little beasties that are growing on the sand around, they will react to basically the Investiture equivalent of radiation. So that's handy.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

------------------------------------------------

WinespringBrother

When Veil went to Mraize's lair, she saw a vial of white sand. Was there a reason that it didn't turn black?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes

WinespringBrother

Can you tell me that reason?

Brandon Sanderson

So, sand will turn white in the presence of certain kinetic usage of Investiture. 

WinespringBrother

Okay, so that was what Veil was doing?

Brandon Sanderson

Depends on how loud the Investiture is, that sand-- that sand just absorbed some of the Stormlight. I'll just be be clear with you, yeah... It was not the stuff that Veil was doing. 

JordanCon 2018 (April 22, 2018)

Questioner

Will we see Aether of Night eventually?

Brandon Sanderson

I can't promise. You've seen the aethers; Mraize's room of trophies. But I can't absolutely promise I'll work it in... The question is, if I find the time. I just stay consistent on the mainline Cosmere books. If I find the time, I'll get Aether of Night.

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)

Edited by Honorless

On 6/16/2021 at 5:47 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

impossible is not a word, improbable is though. we mistborn need not make sense. there is always another secret I have told my society of you sharders peaking around trying to find out more, luckily you won't. infiltrating you is easy. it is fun finding out about you 17th sharders.

In a meta sense we are all members of the 17th shard. @Thaidakar the Ghostblood are you recruiting from here? If so I would totally be down for becoming a Ghostblood. (We should start a rival forum called ghostbloods.com :)

In response to the question about size I think there wouldn’t be more than 100 members per year planet, and probably less on places like Threnody.

5 hours ago, Mage said:

In a meta sense we are all members of the 17th shard. @Thaidakar the Ghostblood are you recruiting from here? If so I would totally be down for becoming a Ghostblood. (We should start a rival forum called ghostbloods.com :)

In response to the question about size I think there wouldn’t be more than 100 members per year planet, and probably less on places like Threnody.

We should totally do this, just to see what will happen...

If nothing else, we should create our own Reddit forum.

Just now, Halyo_Alex said:

I also have no idea how to make a subreddit, so someone smart's gotta come around and do it :rolleyes:

Where is the right place to make a forum discussion on how to make an r/ghostblood subreddit?

I’m thinking we allow full Mistborn and SA spoilers, but flare for any other worlds? Maybe a two week spoiler period to discuss to TLM and one month for KoWT?

12 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Guys, there's already an r/ghostblood subreddit

So there is. It looks like there are a grand total of three posts there. Anyone down to cast off the non-intervention policy of Frost and the 17th Shard and join Master Thaidakar and his Ghostbloods?

(and I'm only kidding about casting off the Shard. This is one of the best fan forums that I have ever seen.) 

Edited by Mage