Syl's Long Nap

MistMage

Here's a short fanfic I wrote about Syl's original Radiant. I posted it on Reddit before so I thought I'd share it here as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Syl screamed, she felt a horrible ripping sensation as if her very being was being torn away, and then suddenly she was standing in Shadesmar somehow balancing on the sea of beads, and in front of her stood Relador with his wispy long beard glowing faintly.

"You... Died.." she said, emotion welling through her.

"Looks like it," said Relador, looking around sheepishly. "You know, when I said I always wanted to visit your homeland, I didn't think it would be under these circumstances."

"I can't believe this" Syl said, sinking slightly into the ocean of beads clutching her head in pain. "If I never found you and dragged you into this war this never would have happened!"

"Hey!" Relador said, grabbing her arms gently, "What's the motto Syl? Journey BEFORE Destination, and what a journey it's been" he said looking at her intensely with those sapphire eyes.

"Before I met you, I was this grumpy old hermit living in the outskirts of my village, interacting with no one, feeling bitter and alone like my life had ended. And then you came along and Storms Syl I got to ride the winds because of YOU. I got to see the world and protect so many people, you took an old man who had given up on life, and turned him into an oldish man who realized his life was still worth something. I wouldn't give up these last few years for a century of life. Do you understand?"

" I guess..." she hesitated, "But I know losing you will devastate me, I won't be able to function again."

Relador puled her into a hug and spoke gently into her ear "You WILL be able to function, because you're made of pieces of divinity, isn't that what you're always telling me huh? Let me tell you what you're going to do. You're going to take 2 days, and just 2 mind you, and you're going to mourn this weak old man. Then after that you will go back to the physical world and you go find someone to bond again, you're too important to sit out this fight. Go find yourself a young lad this time, a real soldier, someone who can really take care of himself and others in a fight, not like this old fool who could barely swing a sword straight. Be with him, grow with him, so you can truly understand what it means to be human.

He pulled back a bit so their foreheads were touching. That's when she noticed that she was crying, it was an odd sensation she didn't even know that spren could cry.

"And Syl, be the same Light for him as you were for me, guide him through the dark times and I KNOW together you both will save us all and end these perpetual wars."

He pulled back and stood up tall, she could see that tears were forming in his eyes too.

"One last question" Syl said "Is this it then? Is this Loss? Like what you felt when that boy drowned in the flood all those years ago?"

"Yes," he said looking down. "An emotion I had hoped you would never come to understand Syl, but I know you will be able to bear it and continue your journey without me."

As she stared at him she noticed him stretching and fading away. His eyes filled with equal parts terror and determination

"Sylphrena!" He said in one last attempt to be with her. "Maybe take 3 days? It is ME after all" he said giving her that characteristic wink that let him get away with anything as long as some woman was involved.

Despite herself, she gave a short laugh and watched as he finally faded into the Beyond. And just like that she remembered, all the times sitting by different fires in different villages, rejoicing at listening to stories, watching him care for the people he met, protecting them when he could, truly LIVING as he was meant to.

Suddenly Syl felt exhausted, wrung out, and slowly started sinking into the beads... "Yes," she thought. "That's what I'll do, I'll just rest here for 3 days and then I'll go back and bond again. She mumbled a single word as her eyes began to close and ocean engulfed her. "Kaladin."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought I'd share a story of how I imagined Syl's first bond ended. It came to me as a kind of opposite to how Teft died with his spren. This might have been more peaceful and gave them both some closure

17 hours ago, MistMage said:

Here's a short fanfic I wrote about Syl's original Radiant. I posted it on Reddit before so I thought I'd share it here as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Syl screamed, she felt a horrible ripping sensation as if her very being was being torn away, and then suddenly she was standing in Shadesmar somehow balancing on the sea of beads, and in front of her stood Relador with his wispy long beard glowing faintly.

"You... Died.." she said, emotion welling through her.

"Looks like it," said Relador, looking around sheepishly. "You know, when I said I always wanted to visit your homeland, I didn't think it would be under these circumstances."

"I can't believe this" Syl said, sinking slightly into the ocean of beads clutching her head in pain. "If I never found you and dragged you into this war this never would have happened!"

"Hey!" Relador said, grabbing her arms gently, "What's the motto Syl? Journey BEFORE Destination, and what a journey it's been" he said looking at her intensely with those sapphire eyes.

"Before I met you, I was this grumpy old hermit living in the outskirts of my village, interacting with no one, feeling bitter and alone like my life had ended. And then you came along and Storms Syl I got to ride the winds because of YOU. I got to see the world and protect so many people, you took an old man who had given up on life, and turned him into an oldish man who realized his life was still worth something. I wouldn't give up these last few years for a century of life. Do you understand?"

" I guess..." she hesitated, "But I know losing you will devastate me, I won't be able to function again."

Relador puled her into a hug and spoke gently into her ear "You WILL be able to function, because you're made of pieces of divinity, isn't that what you're always telling me huh? Let me tell you what you're going to do. You're going to take 2 days, and just 2 mind you, and you're going to mourn this weak old man. Then after that you will go back to the physical world and you go find someone to bond again, you're too important to sit out this fight. Go find yourself a young lad this time, a real soldier, someone who can really take care of himself and others in a fight, not like this old fool who could barely swing a sword straight. Be with him, grow with him, so you can truly understand what it means to be human.

He pulled back a bit so their foreheads were touching. That's when she noticed that she was crying, it was an odd sensation she didn't even know that spren could cry.

"And Syl, be the same Light for him as you were for me, guide him through the dark times and I KNOW together you both will save us all and end these perpetual wars."

He pulled back and stood up tall, she could see that tears were forming in his eyes too.

"One last question" Syl said "Is this it then? Is this Loss? Like what you felt when that boy drowned in the flood all those years ago?"

"Yes," he said looking down. "An emotion I had hoped you would never come to understand Syl, but I know you will be able to bear it and continue your journey without me."

As she stared at him she noticed him stretching and fading away. His eyes filled with equal parts terror and determination

"Sylphrena!" He said in one last attempt to be with her. "Maybe take 3 days? It is ME after all" he said giving her that characteristic wink that let him get away with anything as long as some woman was involved.

Despite herself, she gave a short laugh and watched as he finally faded into the Beyond. And just like that she remembered, all the times sitting by different fires in different villages, rejoicing at listening to stories, watching him care for the people he met, protecting them when he could, truly LIVING as he was meant to.

Suddenly Syl felt exhausted, wrung out, and slowly started sinking into the beads... "Yes," she thought. "That's what I'll do, I'll just rest here for 3 days and then I'll go back and bond again. She mumbled a single word as her eyes began to close and ocean engulfed her. "Kaladin."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought I'd share a story of how I imagined Syl's first bond ended. It came to me as a kind of opposite to how Teft died with his spren. This might have been more peaceful and gave them both some closure

I loved that, make their past together, please!