Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MistMage

Hello Cosmere!!

19 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Been a fan of the cosmere since 2018, I've read all the published material, love everything about it. After the release of RoW I got more into the fan community and started listening to Shardcast and posting theories on Reddit so I thought I'd join here. Can't wait to engage with all of you.

Allow me to be among the first of likely many to welcome you to the 17th shard.

Hello. All the published material? Wow. See you around.

Welcome to the Shard! Loved the theory and fic that you posted btw

Welcome! :)

I agree with Flaming Coinshoot: Nice accomplishment having read every published story! I'm still on the lookout for some things but I hope to close the last gaps within the year. What is you favorite book/story and why? ^_^

21 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Thank You!

20 hours ago, Flaming Coinshoot said:

Hello. All the published material? Wow. See you around.

21 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

haha Thanks!

16 hours ago, Marukka said:

Welcome! :)

I agree with Flaming Coinshoot: Nice accomplishment having read every published story! I'm still on the lookout for some things but I hope to close the last gaps within the year. What is you favorite book/story and why? ^_^

Thank you! So that's a tough one, I absolutely love all of it for different reasons. I can say my favorite short story is Emperor's Soul, amazing that Sanderson was able to pack so much world building in a short story, though Shadows and Sixth are also brilliant. RoW was just so fantastic too, it really spurred my desire to speculate and take an active part in the community. What are your favorite stories?

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, MistMage said:

Thank you! So that's a tough one, I absolutely love all of it for different reasons. I can say my favorite short story is Emperor's Soul, amazing that Sanderson was able to pack so much world building in a short story, though Shadows and Sixth are also brilliant. RoW was just so fantastic too, it really spurred my desire to speculate and take an active part in the community. What are your favorite stories?

I may piggy back on that question as I rarely get to talk my favorite cosmere stories. Personally, my favorite book would probably be mistborn (the first book). I just loved the magic system and the heist storyline. Also it is endeared to me in that it was the first cosmere novel I ever read, and later the second I got in leatherbound (the the quote Brandon put in it). As for short story I will have to agree with the emperor's soul, I love the way it expanded upon the art of forgery (magic system and real world version). 
I shall contribute to the convo by adding an inquiry of my own. Who is your favorite cosmere character and why?

Edited by TheWanderer

2 hours ago, MistMage said:

What are your favorite stories?

As I said, I am not quite through with all of them, but it is still a hard question. I really like the Stormlight Archives, though I could not name my favorite book. It's too much of a continous story for me to even exactly pin down what happend in which exact book. 

Other that those I loved Bands of Mourning. The setting, the characters, the showdown, all of it reminded me of some adventure books by my favorite author from back in the days. I always wanted to reread those and now I am afaid that they really won't hold up. ^_^

And of Non-Cosmere works, I think the Legion book are be my favorite. A bit short, but all in all amazing.

Welcome to the Shard! Who's your least favorite character?

11 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Who is your favorite cosmere character and why?

Mistborn is great, it was the first cosmere thing I read so it always has a special place in my heart. My favorite character is probably Wax, it's the first time I've seen a character kind of resent having to be the responsible one all the time, wanting to cut loose and break the rules, and he can't bring himself to do it because it just goes against his nature. When he's told to just accept that that's who he is, I found that moment really powerful. Also he has that dry sense of humor that I like.

2 hours ago, Not an Ookla said:

Welcome to the Shard! Who's your least favorite character?

Thank You! Least favorite I'd have to say Kenton, really the whole White Sands crew. I'm not sure if it's the graphic novel format but he really just comes across as one note, didn't really enjoy the White sands stuff, but the world is interesting and I'd love maybe a short story from Taldain.

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, MistMage said:

Mistborn is great, it was the first cosmere thing I read so it always has a special place in my heart. My favorite character is probably Wax, it's the first time I've seen a character kind of resent having to be the responsible one all the time, wanting to cut loose and break the rules, and he can't bring himself to do it because it just goes against his nature. When he's told to just accept that that's who he is, I found that moment really powerful. Also he has that dry sense of humor that I like.

I can appreciate and empathize with wax's desire as the youngest yet most responsible of my siblings. Do wish I wasn't so easily able to predict the motive of the era 2 first novel villains so easily though. Still I enjoyed the tonal change for the series. Instead of world altering or nations at risk it was much more grounded and character focused.

Minor era 2 spoiler

I still love that line asking god why they don't send help only for the reply "I sent you"

Edited by TheWanderer

18 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Minor era 2 spoiler

I still love that line asking god why they don't send help only for the reply "I sent you"

OMG, that whole conversation was my favorite part of Era 2. Cause up until that point I was really on Wax's side, mad at Harmony for how he used him. And then he just calmly explains and together we and Wax get to see the answer slap us in the face and break down emotionally. I reread that scene so many times, brought tears to my eyes.

1 hour ago, MistMage said:

OMG, that whole conversation was my favorite part of Era 2. Cause up until that point I was really on Wax's side, mad at Harmony for how he used him. And then he just calmly explains and together we and Wax get to see the answer slap us in the face and break down emotionally. I reread that scene so many times, brought tears to my eyes.

Light Spoilers for Stormlight

"You cannot have my pain" and the fourth ideal of the windrunner do that for me. The ones that really break me are Wit and Shallan's mentor and apprentice relationship. The layers of shallan's pain and self loathing with wit's empathy and advice really move me. Possibly because according to Brandon's official quiz I am a lightweaver as well.

Hi all, just a reminder RoW stuff should only be in the RoW boards during the spoiler period. In addition, maybe you'd like me to move this topic to a forum that allows discussion of spoilers? We like to keep Introductions spoiler-free. Let me know if you'd like that and I'll do that!

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

Hi all, just a reminder RoW stuff should only be in the RoW boards during the spoiler period. In addition, maybe you'd like me to move this topic to a forum that allows discussion of spoilers? We like to keep Introductions spoiler-free. Let me know if you'd like that and I'll do that!

Hi! thank you that be great, sorry didn't intend to start discussing spoilers

Oh yeah, no worries :) Topic has been moved to Cosmere, though note that does not include Rhythm of War spoilers, as it's still in the spoiler period.