Doors of Stone

Need Rage Poll  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will end up writing Doors of Stone?

• Patrick
    • Brandon
    • Nobody

49 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Why wouldn’t it be Rothfuss? It’s his series, just because it’s taking forever doesn’t mean he’s gonna give it to someone else.

I just don't think he'll ever write it :P

And of course Brandon would never agree to write it. It's waaaaay outside his wheel(of time)house and he has too much stuff he wants to do. I can't imagine him putting everything on hold again to agree to write the final book in another series which will end up being 3 books. 

Brandon's original tentative title for OB was Stones Unhallowed, (back when it was still Szeth's flashback book) but he decided against it because there were rumours Rothfuss was going to release Doors of Stone around fall 2017, and he didn't want too similar a name.

So in response to someone who said this was posted as a joke: primarily yes.

Yes, but.

Yes, but I think it is going to take an intervention to get Patrick Rothfuss writing again. I don’t know the precise kind of intervention indicated but I suspect Brandon knows, and the story needs a conclusion.

Edited by Storyspren
Grammar

Brandon has said he's not the right person to finish that series. Their prose are too different. Plus, he's got so many series of his own he needs to work on. WoB hidden for length:

Spoiler

Questioner

If Patrick Rothfuss dropped dead tomorrow, would you finish the Kingkiller Chronicles?

Brandon Sanderson

So... if there were no other options. The thing is, I'm not sure how good a match I would be for Kingkiller. I might be able to do it. Thing is, Pat and I have... some similarities; our use of magic is very similar, and our use of viewpoint. We're very similar in those two things. Pat is very different from me in narrative structure. And more importantly (because I could do his narrative structure), he is a prose stylist, that has a lyricism to his writing that is very different from what I try to do. I have spent my life practicing something that in the industry we call Orwellian prose, which is... George Orwell would talk about how he wanted his prose to be a window pane. That through which you saw the story, but didn't distract you in any way. And I try to move my writing, most of the time, away from anything that draws attention to itself. Except for the occasional flourish at, like, the beginning of the chapter, or something like that.

Pat, every one of his lines is gorgeous. It's part of what makes the Kingkiller work so well. And that is not a skill I have practiced. I would think that somebody like Guy Gavriel Kay, or Nora Jemisin, who are fantastic prose stylists, might be a better match, because that's something you can't just fake. You can maybe work with a bad plot, but voice, it's so different.

I was a very similar voice to Robert Jordan. I had studied his things. While he's more flowery than I am, I knew his style enough that it was a good match. So, someone like Brent Weeks, who writes like me, then that's something that I could do. But someone like Pat... Pat would be a really tough one for me to pull off.

One of the weird things is, people joke about me taking over George Martin. Which you shouldn't joke about, we totally want George to make it through... My prose is much closer to George Martin's, but my thematic content is way different. People talk about this like, "Let's just give it to Sanderson." I'm like, "Really? Do you want all these Game of Thrones people to stop swearing and get married, because that's what I..." *inaudible* You don't want me taking over George. You'd rather me taking over Pat.

Shadows of Self San Jose signing (Oct. 9, 2015)

I voted Patrick, but only because he's still in his 40's and theoretically has a lot of time to finish the book ... if he really wants to, which he may not and that's OK too. Maybe not OK for his publisher if they paid him a big advance and they never get a book out of it, but I'm OK with it never coming out. I've reached Acceptance. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

On 6/16/2021 at 5:45 AM, Child of Hodor said:

Brandon has said he's not the right person to finish that series. Their prose are too different. Plus, he's got so many series of his own he needs to work on. WoB hidden for length:

Hide contents

Questioner

If Patrick Rothfuss dropped dead tomorrow, would you finish the Kingkiller Chronicles?

Brandon Sanderson

So... if there were no other options. The thing is, I'm not sure how good a match I would be for Kingkiller. I might be able to do it. Thing is, Pat and I have... some similarities; our use of magic is very similar, and our use of viewpoint. We're very similar in those two things. Pat is very different from me in narrative structure. And more importantly (because I could do his narrative structure), he is a prose stylist, that has a lyricism to his writing that is very different from what I try to do. I have spent my life practicing something that in the industry we call Orwellian prose, which is... George Orwell would talk about how he wanted his prose to be a window pane. That through which you saw the story, but didn't distract you in any way. And I try to move my writing, most of the time, away from anything that draws attention to itself. Except for the occasional flourish at, like, the beginning of the chapter, or something like that.

Pat, every one of his lines is gorgeous. It's part of what makes the Kingkiller work so well. And that is not a skill I have practiced. I would think that somebody like Guy Gavriel Kay, or Nora Jemisin, who are fantastic prose stylists, might be a better match, because that's something you can't just fake. You can maybe work with a bad plot, but voice, it's so different.

I was a very similar voice to Robert Jordan. I had studied his things. While he's more flowery than I am, I knew his style enough that it was a good match. So, someone like Brent Weeks, who writes like me, then that's something that I could do. But someone like Pat... Pat would be a really tough one for me to pull off.

One of the weird things is, people joke about me taking over George Martin. Which you shouldn't joke about, we totally want George to make it through... My prose is much closer to George Martin's, but my thematic content is way different. People talk about this like, "Let's just give it to Sanderson." I'm like, "Really? Do you want all these Game of Thrones people to stop swearing and get married, because that's what I..." *inaudible* You don't want me taking over George. You'd rather me taking over Pat.

Shadows of Self San Jose signing (Oct. 9, 2015)

I voted Patrick, but only because he's still in his 40's and theoretically has a lot of time to finish the book ... if he really wants to, which he may not and that's OK too. Maybe not OK for his publisher if they paid him a big advance and they never get a book out of it, but I'm OK with it never coming out. I've reached Acceptance. 

You are going to make me cry. Acceptance? 
#denialbaby

• 1 month later...

I know this was mostly a joke but I am cautiously optimistic Doors will come in all due time. Pat talks fairly openly about how he really struggled with mental health issues for some time but it has improved. Not perfect but better. He also has talked about how his writing speed hasn't really changed much. He is a compulsive rewriter. He worked on Name of the Wind for something like a decade before it got published.

TLDR Pat will finish Doors. He will do so soon(ish). I will then enjoy it thoroughly and go back to recommending it highly once someone can read it start to finish.