Harvesting Honor's God Metal

Octopi314

I have a theory:

What if you could harvest Honor's God Metal using aluminum?

1. We know that all shards have a God metal which is the physical representation of their investiture
  2. On Roshar there seems to be two dominant magical-"metals". The first is Shard plate and the second is Shard blade. 
    Spoiler

We know from RoW that these are made of two different types of spren. Therefore they are likely two different metals.

In addition, there are two shards on Roshar that are likely the cause of these. Between the two, I see that Shardplate is most similar to Cultivation (It grows when you give it investiture) and Shardblade to Honor (You bond it ) 

3. The question remains of how can we get it (and eat it)

4. First off we know that Aluminum "nullifies" the magical properties of a Shardblade. 

Bridge4AM (paraphrased)

What would happen if you tried to cut aluminum with a shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

A shardblade would not cut aluminum.

Yata

Hi, the community has a [question], we have two WoBs: Shardblades can cut aluminum and Shardblades can't cut it. Which one is true?

Peter Ahlstrom

Oh, I think aluminum would stop Shardblades from magical cutting. But if it's too thin like foil, a sword...would cut it anyway.

Therefore, wrapping a Shardblade in Aluminum would leave it as a normal metal sword.

5. Lastly, we need to cutting off a chunk. We don't know how much of a Shardblades invincibility is from the metal itself. Therefore, without magic properties, it could be soft enough for us to cut it. Or...

Spoiler

We know that Nightblood can take a chunk out of an Honorblade, so why not do the same!

To sum up:

Step 1: Wrap a Shardblade in aluminum

Step 2: *Try to break off a chunk

Spoiler

If all else fails, bring in Nightblood

Step 3: Eat and allomantically burn your newly harvested Tanavastium :D (or whatever you want to call it)

Aluminium doesn't exactly nullify magic (except Allomantically), it's inert, it blocks them. So an aluminum sheath could stop Nightblood's effects and a thick enough piece of aluminium could block a Shardblade.

Covering something magical in aluminium is a good way to contain them but it doesn't transform them in any way. Eg: Nightblood, his sheath is made of aluminium. He does not turn non magical when he's sheathed, he's just contained.

The biggest hurdle to harvesting god metal from things like Shardblades and Honorblades, is convincing the chunks you take off that they aren't part of the whole. As soon as the whole changes form again (returns to the Cognitive Realm, for instance), that Physically solid manifested Investiture chunk you have will go with it, unless it no longer sees itself as part of the whole.

On what metals they're made of:

Alpharho

The metal of Shardblades. Cultivationspren versus honorspren, for example. Are they different metals?

Brandon Sanderson

No, but good question.

Alpharho

Are all orders the same alloy, essentially?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. There's a little asterisk on there, but not in the way you're asking... You could call those all the same alloy. Because the mixture to different spren is different, I think that you could argue that each one is its own alloy.

Alpharho

So, different proportions of tanavastium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it doesn't quite work that way with these magics, right? I'm going to say that's up to the individual cosmerologist who is in the world, the arcanist, defining it. You would be able to find enough differences to legitimately call them different alloys if you wanted to.

Alpharho

Would you say different ratios of the same two metals?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. They are not going to have a third one in them, if that's what you're asking. But it doesn't quite work that way. Like, if you were going to take brass, you could measure the exact percentage. In this case, it is a thing; it's not like you could divide it up and split them apart, because they are a thing. And that thing would be called one thing.

Alpharho

But you won't say what that thing is called?

Brandon Sanderson

No, I won't say what that thing is called. But I think you and the 17th Sharders and folks that are dividing them would prefer to call them ten different things, and I think their nomenclature would be relevant.

Skyward Denver signing (Nov. 15, 2018)

Presumably, this applies to Shardplate as well:

FireyWoodedHill

Is Shardplate made of the same material as Shardblades? Is there a difference in material between a "dead" Shardblade and a living one?

Brandon Sanderson

You can generally look at all three as being the same material.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 12, 2018)

8 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

On what metals they're made of:

Presumably, this applies to Shardplate as well:

These WoBs make me feel like the 10 orders have like... different "isotopes" of Tanavastium + Koravellium alloy. Maybe different Allotropes. (Phosphor irl is fairly well-known for having a couple noteworthy allotropes, check them out, it's cool)

3 minutes ago, Isilel said:

Well, the answer is that you'd need to find a way to transform stormlight into solid state. That would be Honor's god metal and you'd be able to produce it in small enough chunks to burn.

This should be able to be done in the same way you can distill mist into Lerasium

Although there are contradictory WoBs of whether you need a Connection to Honor to burn Tanavastium

5 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

This should be able to be done in the same way you can distill mist into Lerasium

Although there are contradictory WoBs of whether you need a Connection to Honor to burn Tanavastium

hmm...

If there was some way to extract energy from the investiture, then you might be able to condense it to liquid form and then freeze it solid.

I'm thinking something to do with the Shard's Tone and rhythm might be neccessary... maybe if you're able to trap it in isolation (like Navani did to Voidlight to make Anti-voidlight) and use a slightly lower-pitched and slower version of the Shard's "song", you might be able to force the investiture to drop into a lower energy state?? I'm trying to remember the real world analog of what i'm thinking of, some kind of refrigeration using lasers or something? but this would be the sound equivalent for the investiture...

On 25/06/2021 at 5:19 PM, Bejardin1250 said:

Actually no the WoBs aren't contradictory, it's possible for a Mistborn to burn Tanavastium but if they wanted to burn a Shardplate (invested allow of Tanavastium and Koravellium) you'd need connection to Honour and Cultivation in the same way you need a Connection to Harmony to burn Steel in which speed was stored