TheWanderer

Hello everyone, hope this post finds you all well. 

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience playing the mistborn tabletop game? I've been trying to convince my players to run it myself and I'm curious how smooth the game plays for new players. Setting aside for the most part I am more focused on mechanics. Of course those who've read it are welcome to comment as well. 

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum. Somehow fan works didn't quite seem right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Son_of_Hoid said:

I got the books a while ago and I've been wondering how the dice system works. I understand that it is more story based, but I'm struggling to understand it. Please help.

I love the MAG. (Mostly just having 3 separate health pools so you get to roll combat for rp portions of the session and less combat focused).  

The dice pool is a bit of a pain (and probably the least enjoyed part of the system).  I think it works really well for what it does and there is no such thing in this system as a sure thing!  

You build your pool up to 10 dice (nothing after that counts). Then you roll and hope for doubles. 6s do not count as doubles and are instead considered "nudges" which sort of become your crits.  Your nudges can be used to lessen a failed roll or boost your successful rolls through extra damage or giving a disadvantage. 

The largest complaint about the game is that you could roll 10 6s in a single roll and because you didn't get a pair it doesn't mean success.  

What I really like about the system is that there are real consequences to taking those points of damage as they lead to "burdens" which end up adding good flavor to the character development.  

32 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I love the MAG. (Mostly just having 3 separate health pools so you get to roll combat for rp portions of the session and less combat focused).  

The dice pool is a bit of a pain (and probably the least enjoyed part of the system).  I think it works really well for what it does and there is no such thing in this system as a sure thing!  

You build your pool up to 10 dice (nothing after that counts). Then you roll and hope for doubles. 6s do not count as doubles and are instead considered "nudges" which sort of become your crits.  Your nudges can be used to lessen a failed roll or boost your successful rolls through extra damage or giving a disadvantage. 

The largest complaint about the game is that you could roll 10 6s in a single roll and because you didn't get a pair it doesn't mean success.  

What I really like about the system is that there are real consequences to taking those points of damage as they lead to "burdens" which end up adding good flavor to the character development.  

I'm a bit more of a new RPG player, I started with DnD 5e and it's a bit of a learning curve. 

28 minutes ago, Son_of_Hoid said:

I'm a bit more of a new RPG player, I started with DnD 5e and it's a bit of a learning curve. 

D&D is a great game.  There is a reason it has been so successful.  The MAG is definately a learning curve.  I think diceborn by 17th shard on YouTube was a great showing of the game.   The way they handled damage and nudges was a bit homebrewy but I think it was a lot more fluid game play their way than how the rules are written.  Some MAG games are 50% counting up and bargaining for dice which sucks.  

I just love having a ruleset for the metallic arts.  There are some homebrewed rules I found for awakening and shards as well which work so well.