Aztlanian noooo

CrypticSpren

I think it's the opposite. What I heard Brandon say when talking about definitive endings is that he regrets teasing a sequel that's now been promised, because now he's obligated to write it but the wait hurts the fans (and also haunts him). He's apologizing for the long wait as well as the sequel hook. 

Outside of just that, Brandon's pretty open on what books he plans on giving us versus what books he'll give us if he has time; The Atzlanian falls in the first category, but it's not a major priority, so it's hard to deal with. 

Also, if it's any consolation, in the State of the Sanderson 2020 post, the user Inkthinker on Reddit (I can't remember if that's Isaac's username or Ben McSweeney's username...I think it's the former) notes that Brandon may try to squeeze in The Atzlanian during his time to write Mistborn Era 3, if Brandon feels like he needs a break. 

Yeah, perhaps I had a bad interpretation of the video. I personally would be left feeling unsatisfied if Rithmatist just ended without some sort of explanation for what shadowblazes and forgotten are though, so I'm kind of glad that there's sequel bait to haunt Brandon (sorry Mr. Sanderson).

Where did you get got that The Azlantian falls into the second category though? On State of the Sanderson, he lumped it in with a potential sequel to Elantris and Nightblood, and he's been saying that he may or may not write Nightblood for quite a while now. So to me that implies that he might not write The Aztlanian either.

Also, Ben is Inkthinker. Isaac wasn't that involved in the art for the Rithmatist AFAIK, although he did test the BYU rithmatics game with Brandon.

In the 2020 SotS, Brandon states that all three should get a sequel eventually, and when he's eyeing the time for a sequel.* Also Elantris is guaranteed sequels, as Brandon considers it one of the pillars of the Cosmere (Elantris, Mistborn, Stormlight, and Dragonsteel). So either you can choose between The Atzlanian going the way of Elantris sequels (which is more likely given all that Brandon's said about The Atzlanian, aka not that he doesn't want to write it, but simply he hasn't found the time to do it between everything else) or the Warbreaker sequel (which is still planned according to the 2020 SotS and every mention of it in the 2020 Q&As, but may slip into later in the future). 

Also, compare Sanderson's tone and definitiveness when talking about writing a sequel to those two books versus how he talks about when writing something not assured, like the Cyberpunk Mistborn trilogy, the Threnody novel, or the Sixth of the Dusk sequel. That's how you know it's not a book that he'll "write if he has time" in the long term. Sanderson always talks about The Atzlanian and Nightblood in a definitive nature with declarations. He thinks he'll write them. He wants to write them. He knows the arcs, plots, and stories, but he simply needs the time and to know when to slot these in. Those have been the largest problems. Compare that with the other three mentioned stories, where it's very much a "these would be cool, but I'm not sure I can get to it" vibe with the quotes. 

Overall, we may not be getting the sequels to Warbreaker and The Rithmatist soon - which is why Brandon was apologizing for - but we will get them. (Now, The Nebraskan/The Nebraskian, a potential third book for in the Rithmatist's story, is far less likely to happen, given that Brandon has had so much trouble with finding time to write and release the second book. Then again, if Brandon could pull another Shadows of Self/The Bands of Mourning, this would be the series to do it with.) 

*We as fans shouldn't be beholden to the timeline for the sequels, which is part of the problem IMO.