Okay. Being honest here. I thought this was a good episode, but terrible finale. And I can’t quite put my finger on why exactly. I think it is because I still don’t quite see how this fits in the MCU moving forward. Like yes it seems that this is essentially the backstory for how the multiverse is possible, but what’s next? Especially what’s next for Loki? I’m glad there will be a season 2, because it definitely needs it. Anyone have any ideas to help me make more sense of things? I really do want to like this episode more. 

That being said, I just want to give major props to the cast of this show. Everyone did so well with their roles. 

21 hours ago, Philomath said:

Okay. Being honest here. I thought this was a good episode, but terrible finale. And I can’t quite put my finger on why exactly. I think it is because I still don’t quite see how this fits in the MCU moving forward. Like yes it seems that this is essentially the backstory for how the multiverse is possible, but what’s next? Especially what’s next for Loki? I’m glad there will be a season 2, because it definitely needs it. Anyone have any ideas to help me make more sense of things? I really do want to like this episode more. 

That being said, I just want to give major props to the cast of this show. Everyone did so well with their roles. 

If this was a standalone series without a second season planned then I’d agree on the finale ending kinda weird. But knowing  that they’re coming back, it ended a bit more like Infinity War left me feeling (the shot of Loki looking at Kang’s statue overlooking the TVA in his new timeline was ominous).

As far as how it fits into the MCU moving forward, I think it’s actually the most essential show we’ve had since Endgame. The multiverse is about to become the staple plot line of Phase 4. Season 2 of Loki will obviously explore this more, but so will Dr. Strange 2 (I mean…Multiverse of Madness), and Ant-Man 3. I think other movies like Thor and Spider-Man are going to see their fair share of consequences based on what just happened.

Because this finale was so dialog heavy and didn’t have much actual action, I can understand the initial feeling of “huh?” But the creation of the multiverse and introduction of Kang the Conqueror is gonna be the staple plot line of Phase 4 imo. 

Finished it this morning! It was good, but it wasn't nearly as interesting to me as WandaVision or FATWS. This stems from two* main reasons in my mind. 

The first is the titular character himself. I've never liked Loki up until this show. I've found the rabid fanbase around Hiddleston and Loki annoying at best, despite my like for the actor otherwise separate from his fans. So I went into this not knowing or even caring about the character as a whole. But this show turned someone I hated into someone I liked to hate, and who I liked to see suffer. 

The second reason was the timeframe. Loki formed very strong connections very quickly in this show, and I'm rarely a fan of that happening over a short timeframe. If the episodes had taken place over months, then I'd believe it. And yes, Loki says time is wonky in the show, but that's not a justification either in my opinion. It's partially why I don't like "happily ever after" love stories with characters who just first met. 

Overall, while I may feel different about it on subsequent re-watches, this is my lowest ranked MCU D+ show to date.

*There is a third reason, but I'm not sure how to gently bring it up on the forum, and so I'd rather err on the side of caution. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time travel for me is generally a jumped the shark moment - it tends to be brought in when author/writer is out of ideas on how to excite or make things new or else they've written themselves into a corner that cannot be escaped from without changing time and changing the story.  It's possible to write one I like but it's not terrifically common.  Endgame got pulled back from what I would consider truly great because of that.

Loki was...well, I enjoyed the characters and world set up.  The ending was really lacking to me, though Jonathan Majors just owned his scenes.  I want to see him in more stuff, generally, not just Marvel stuff.  Alligator Loki was an unexpected gem.  Multiverses are so blah to me, I find very little compelling about there being millions of versions of each person, world, plot, and all that stuff.  I'm not much into what if's either....maybe that's why I don't really care.  I suspect that I'll be losing my addiction to Marvel as it continues to move forward if Multiverse becomes front/center/most important point in place of the infinity stones.