Mare in the pits theory

Zrogezrg

So I was wondering why was Mare sent to the pits? It does not make much sence, allomancer like her should be converted to hemalurgic spike in final empire.

I think that there is a strong possibility that Mare in the pits is a Kandra, I would guess Paalm.

There would be quite few similarities with what happened to Waxillium, espeacialy if the kandra was indeed Paalm. Both Kel and Wax were away from Luthadel \ Elendel and were watched by Paalm and then finally her "death" would make them what they needed to became for Preservation and Ruin \ Harmony.

Time between Kelsier's and Mare's arrival at the pits could be because she was tortured, killed in process of creating a spike and then her bones would by taken by kandra. Other possibility would be that, she was taken before, and her bones were used by kandra to lure Kelsier to be caught. This would then make sense with why Lord Ruler thanked her, as she was his loyal kandra.

The weakest link in this theory is the reason why kandra would be sent to the pits. Maybe there was some influence of Preservation to make Kelsier to what he needed him to become, as we know that he played some role in his snapping, as was mentioned in secret history.

Would love to read what you think about this

WoB wise, we have an old report saying no

treegrass

Was Mare a kandra?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question. No, she was not.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

and newer WoBs saying RAFO

Questioner

Has a kandra impersonated Mare?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO; sorry.

Tor Instagram Livestream (Nov. 25, 2020)

simon_thekillerewok

Is/was Mare a kandra?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 29, 2018)

I like the theory and the possibility but I like Kelsier and Mare's story as it is. The Lord Ruler is certainly the type to not care and throw her in simply for their combined suffering and to gloat at Kelsier that he caught them because of Mare. But on the other hand, you do have a point. It seems wasteful. But he was willing to simply have the Lord Prelan, a powerful Mistborn, killed rather than spiked for his... indiscretions, so I think it's in-character for the Lord Ruler to do what he did.

42 minutes ago, Honorless said:

WoB wise, we have an old report saying no

and newer WoBs saying RAFO

I like the theory and the possibility but I like Kelsier and Mare's story as it is. The Lord Ruler is certainly the type to not care and throw her in simply for their combined suffering and to gloat at Kelsier that he caught them because of Mare. But on the other hand, you do have a point. It seems wasteful. But he was willing to simply have the Lord Prelan, a powerful Mistborn, killed rather than spiked for his... indiscretions, so I think it's in-character for the Lord Ruler to do what he did.

I agree with this, she would probably have been taken.

14 hours ago, Honorless said:

the Lord Prelan, a powerful Mistborn

Is that true? In the text I have not seen confirmation nor in WoBs.

For speaking what is in character of Lord Ruler,  I would say that he is indifferent about other people.  I do not see any good reason why he would keep Mare for few weeks and then sent her to the pits. It seems kind of cruel, but in weird manipulating and psychological way, which just does not feel to me like Lord Ruler. He is not a nice fellow, but he seems straightforward.  

I guess he could be manipulated be Ruin/Preservation to do it. 

One other argument that speaks about possibility of kandra action is the reference to her body being taken from him. 

That night, after her corpse was taken away, I Snapped.

So we do not know where her bones are. I do not think it is a strong argument, but that is something.