Elf_at_heart

Worth reading?

5 posts in this topic

I am looking to expand the genres I read and I was looking to get into ya romance novels. I want a funny light-hearted romance novel. Snarky protagonist is preferable. So, keeping that in mind, is Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda worth reading? 

Also I will welcome recommendations. The protagonists should be 15 to 18 years old. The romances can be LGBTQ or heterosexual. Thank you.

Edited by Elf_at_heart

There's the obligatory John Green recommendations (I liked Fault in Our Stars and Looking for Alaska). 

I liked 48 Shades of Brown by Nick Earls (I saw the movie version 48 Shades first). It's Australian though and I'm not sure how widely it's been published internationally, so you may have issues finding it depending where you live. BTW, it was released well before 50 Shades of Grey and is absolutely no relation.

As for your other question I haven't read or seen the film for Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda, so I can't really say. The trailer looked decent, though.

Edited by jamesbondsmith

For LGBT, I remember Will Walton's Anything Could Happen pretty fondly. Geography Club as well. They handled it in a much more human manner than the usual books which are all sugar and steam. They're both still pretty lighthearted but they are serious about their subject matter. While the characters can be pretty snarky, snark isn't the solution to their problems.

For straight romance, I say go for YA fantasy books by female authors, they're not necessarily romance centric but have a pretty big focus on it. Mind you, the opposite gender's only sole priority in life is the other gender is a thing on this side of writing as well but eh, they're entertaining, so. Try Cassandra Clare, there's multiple inter-connected series there for you to try.

Edited by Honorless

1 hour ago, jamesbondsmith said:

There's the obligatory John Green recommendations (I liked Fault in Our Stars and Looking for Alaska). 

I liked 48 Shades of Brown by Nick Earls (I saw the movie version 48 Shades first). It's Australian though and I'm not sure how widely it's been published internationally, so you may have issues finding it depending where you live. BTW, it was released well before 50 Shades of Grey and is absolutely no relation.

As for your other question I haven't read or seen the film for Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda, so I can't really say. The trailer looked decent, though.

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I don't care much for John Grenne's books, but 48 Shades of Brown is available where I live, and it looks interesting. I'll definitely check it out. So, thanks!

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

For LGBT, I remember Will Walton's Anything Could Happen pretty fondly. Geography Club as well. They handled it in a much more human manner than the usual books which are all sugar and steam. They're both still pretty lighthearted but they are serious about their subject matter. While the characters can be pretty snarky, snark isn't the solution to their problems.

For straight romance, I say go for YA fantasy books by female authors, they're not necessarily romance centric but have a pretty big focus on it. Mind you, the opposite gender's only sole priority in life is the other gender is a thing on this side of writing as well but eh, they're entertaining, so. Try Cassandra Clare, there's multiple inter-connected series there for you to try.

Thank you so much for replying! I will check out those LGBTQ books. Both seem like just the type I was looking for. I will check out the YA fantasy books by female authors as well, since 'the opposite gender's only sole priority in life is the other gender thing sounds like it would be pretty entertaining.

Edited by Elf_at_heart