14 posts in this topic

I have come here to understand you, humans. Mmmm. Creatures that follow patterns, but break them as well. Who seek the mathematics that defines the universe which us spren so naturally understand. That weave truth into their lies like a radiant weaves light into shadow. Fascinating.

It has come to my attention that those aware of my kind and the Cosmere in which we live congregate in this section of the construct of sprenless fabrials your kind calls the internet. So I thought this would be a logical location to begin my studies.

In all seriousness though, hello everyone. I've been lurking 17th shard for about a month, but only just joined yesterday. I only became familiar with the Cosmere about half a year ago, but I've read all of Stormlight, Mistborn, Warbreaker, and Arcanum Unbound. Well, except for Dawnshard, Hope of Elantris, and White Sand.

I've also read the Rithmatist - years ago when I wasn't Cosmere aware, and again a couple of days ago - and am trying to make a Rithmatics simulator with the pipe dream end goal of making a functional game to duel other people. It's been a lot trickier than I was expecting because I'm bad at coding, but it's a good time nonetheless. If anyone has any good ideas for math - like how to figure out how good a set of arbitrary bind points is or something along those lines - I'd really appreciate your ideas.

Before someone inevitably asks me who my favorite character is, I'd have to go with Kaladin; I love Bridge Four like every other Stormlight fan. It was Kaladin who first sucked me into the wonderful world of the Cosmere. If I have to pick someone that isn't mainstream though, I'd choose Design. She's just the cutest otherworldly amorphous shifting black void lie-eating stalker (cryptic) ever to exist.

As for my least favorite, I'd have to go with Amaram. He's a total slimebag, but it takes everyone painfully long in order to recognize that. And to be honest, I don't think everyone really did. His manner of death makes it so that if I were an Alethi citizen, I'd think that he really was a good man who was tragically magically corrupted in his final moments.

It's a pleasure to finally join you all.

Welcome! Warning though, you will get majorly spoiled about Dawnshard as the spoiler period is now over.

Oh well. That's a risk I'm willing to take. Thanks for the heads up though.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hope you like the way the internet is only zeros and ones and can still somehow lie. :P

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

Warning though, you will get majorly spoiled about Dawnshard as the spoiler period is now over.

Good to know, thanks!

53 minutes ago, Marukka said:

Hope you like the way the internet is only zeros and ones and can still somehow lie. :P

Well said! :lol:

I would argue that lies in ones and zeros are something that Cryptics actually understand - statements that can evaluate to false are a necessity of most (any?) system of boolean logic. It's the fact that people are capable of lying through wordplay, implication, and subtext that fascinates Cryptics - that's something that's difficult to represent with mathematics. That's why Cryptics are so bad at lying.

Welcome to the Shard! Who's your least favorite character?

23 hours ago, CrypticSpren said:

I have come here to understand you, humans. Mmmm. Creatures that follow patterns, but break them as well. Who seek the mathematics that defines the universe which us spren so naturally understand. That weave truth into their lies like a radiant weaves light into shadow. Fascinating.

It has come to my attention that those aware of my kind and the Cosmere in which we live congregate in this section of the construct of sprenless fabrials your kind calls the internet. So I thought this would be a logical location to begin my studies.

In all seriousness though, hello everyone. I've been lurking 17th shard for about a month, but only just joined yesterday. I only became familiar with the Cosmere about half a year ago, but I've read all of Stormlight, Mistborn, Warbreaker, and Arcanum Unbound. Well, except for Dawnshard, Hope of Elantris, and White Sand.

I've also read the Rithmatist - years ago when I wasn't Cosmere aware, and again a couple of days ago - and am trying to make a Rithmatics simulator with the pipe dream end goal of making a functional game to duel other people. It's been a lot trickier than I was expecting because I'm bad at coding, but it's a good time nonetheless. If anyone has any good ideas for math - like how to figure out how good a set of arbitrary bind points is or something along those lines - I'd really appreciate your ideas.

Before someone inevitably asks me who my favorite character is, I'd have to go with Kaladin; I love Bridge Four like every other Stormlight fan. It was Kaladin who first sucked me into the wonderful world of the Cosmere. If I have to pick someone that isn't mainstream though, I'd choose Design. She's just the cutest otherworldly amorphous shifting black void lie-eating stalker (cryptic) ever to exist.

As for my least favorite, I'd have to go with Amaram. He's a total slimebag, but it takes everyone painfully long in order to recognize that. And to be honest, I don't think everyone really did. His manner of death makes it so that if I were an Alethi citizen, I'd think that he really was a good man who was tragically magically corrupted in his final moments.

It's a pleasure to finally join you all.

Amaram! Already anticipated your question, @Not an Ookla

13 hours ago, CrypticSpren said:

Amaram! Already anticipated your question, @Not an Ookla

Oops, I must have missed it. 

Yeah, I tend to be overly wordy. I still appreciate the question though; it's basically an integral part of the new sharder experience now :)

9 hours ago, CrypticSpren said:

Yeah, I tend to be overly wordy. I still appreciate the question though; it's basically an integral part of the new sharder experience now :)

Welcome to the shard! Being wordy is something we are big fans of here!! ...I wonder if it has anything to do with who our favorite author is? Nah... couldn't be because Brandon writes like 200,000 words a year or anything... :P

That was a fantastic Cryptic impersonation btw!!

If only I had the writing speed capability to support my wordiness. I only managed to write 9k words during NaNoWriMo and I actually was trying pretty hard...

I'm personally convinced that Brandon is either a zinc compounder or has some sort of factory for unkeyed zinc metalminds in his basement. I still haven't figured out how he handles the hunger side effect or drawbacks of presumed savanthood on his tours though.

On 6/12/2021 at 1:47 PM, CrypticSpren said:

If only I had the writing speed capability to support my wordiness. I only managed to write 9k words during NaNoWriMo and I actually was trying pretty hard...

I'm personally convinced that Brandon is either a zinc compounder or has some sort of factory for unkeyed zinc metalminds in his basement. I still haven't figured out how he handles the hunger side effect or drawbacks of presumed savanthood on his tours though.

Any words are good words!! Keep it up. It took me 2 years of doing NaNo and a pandemic to hit the 50k goal!

Very impressive!

I was a NaNoWriMo rebel and worked with a team so we did manage to hit the word cap. But a lot of people wrote one chapter and bailed without their character actually doing anything, so it was mostly bloat, and the book never got finished...