Thaidakar as a shard

Dullform

I was just wondering is there any confirmation that Thaidakar is Kelsier? I love the theory but in a recent cosmere spoiler stream Brandon explained avatars and from what he said it seems pretty clear that only shards can have avatars, so if Mraize is to be believed he tells Shalan that Thaidakar only comes to Roshar in "avatar form" does this mean that Thaidakar is one of the shards?

Edited by Dullform

thaidakar as a shard is a genuinely terrifying concept. 

1 hour ago, Dullform said:

I was just wondering is there any confirmation that Thaidakar is Kelsier?

yes, this has been confirmed. 

1 hour ago, Dullform said:

only shards can have avatars

do we know this is true? it makes sense kind of, but i think cognitive shadows can have them too???? maybe 

According to WoB Thaidakar doesn't actually have an avatar, he's stuck in Scadrial and just pretending to have an avatar using some method that hasn't been made canon yet (source: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/460/#e14641).

Also of note is reading through the Kelsier WoBs on Arcanum he never explicitly says "Thaidakar is Kelsier" so I suppose there's room for some exact words shenanigans where the two are different, though all of the WoBs involving the two of them seem to pretty heavily imply that Thaidakar and Kelsier are the same (and there might be an explicit confirmation I missed somewhere), and along with the fact that Thaidakar calls himself the Lord of Scars and Hoid mentions he's hit him in the past, which isn't something he can do to most people, I would say we're pretty clearly supposed to make the connection that Thaidakar is Kelsier. 

17 hours ago, Espella said:

According to WoB Thaidakar doesn't actually have an avatar, he's stuck in Scadrial and just pretending to have an avatar using some method that hasn't been made canon yet

Well that answers the question then.

From the other replies I'm now convinced that it is indeed Kelsier, thank you all.

Well, even considering that Thaidakar is not a Shard now, I would be surprised if he didn't really want to become one. He got a taste of the power and what he could potentially achieve with it, and he's a Cosmere-aware megalomaniac. It seems very plausible that it's sort of a dream of his.

I hope he finds out where Ambition was Splintered and finds a way to reforge it. If there's someone who could find a way, it's him. And that Shard is the perfect fit.

6 hours ago, Elegy said:

Well, even considering that Thaidakar is not a Shard now, I would be surprised if he didn't really want to become one. He got a taste of the power and what he could potentially achieve with it, and he's a Cosmere-aware megalomaniac. It seems very plausible that it's sort of a dream of his.

I hope he finds out where Ambition was Splintered and finds a way to reforge it. If there's someone who could find a way, it's him. And that Shard is the perfect fit.

Ambition is great for him and makes more sense from a story perspective... but I really feel like Autonomy would fit him better!

...or both Ambition and Autonomy :huh:

On 6/7/2021 at 3:49 PM, Espella said:

According to WoB Thaidakar doesn't actually have an avatar, he's stuck in Scadrial and just pretending to have an avatar using some method that hasn't been made canon yet (source: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/460/#e14641).

Also of note is reading through the Kelsier WoBs on Arcanum he never explicitly says "Thaidakar is Kelsier" so I suppose there's room for some exact words shenanigans where the two are different, though all of the WoBs involving the two of them seem to pretty heavily imply that Thaidakar and Kelsier are the same (and there might be an explicit confirmation I missed somewhere), and along with the fact that Thaidakar calls himself the Lord of Scars and Hoid mentions he's hit him in the past, which isn't something he can do to most people, I would say we're pretty clearly supposed to make the connection that Thaidakar is Kelsier. 

I've asked him a question relating to Kelsier's state and if whatever Ishar is doing with Spren could help him and he said yes, so it is highly likely Kelsier is Thaidakar

1 hour ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I've asked him a question relating to Kelsier's state and if whatever Ishar is doing with Spren could help him and he said yes, so it is highly likely Kelsier is Thaidakar

Brandon has confirmed that to be the case.